Question on stand and fill feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on stand and fill feeders

Thinking about getting one of the stand and fill feeders from all seasons feeders, looking at the 1000lb. Anyone have one? Was curious on how the radius of feed was when it throws the corn with the motor being so close to the ground.

We have the 600 lb feeders & they throw the corn in a pretty big area. As far as any other feeder I have with a cage on it. You will have some underneath the cage,but the deer clean that up too.

Comment

I have the ASF 600# also and live it. Thinking about putting bungee cords around bottom to make antler trap. They will throw corn pretty far, but not as far as a winch up. So much easier to fill though.

Comment

All season's stand and fill will sling it out 15' with 50% going underneath.

LAMCO'S low & throws will sling it out 25' with 5% hitting the legs and going straight down with a few kernels going underneath. 155 feet in circumference.
        Last edited by Breezy; 02-09-2016, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I am thinking about getting the one Texas Hunter makes, the hideaway feeder.

Add this 500 lb. directional wildlife feeder to your hunting grounds for an effective feeding process. Find feeders, hunting blinds and more online.

Comment

No experience (yet) with the ASF stand and fill, but the ones we use broadcast it plenty and not much goes 'underneath'

Comment

We have several of the 600# ASF stand and fill feeders and purchased most of them 3-4 years ago. A lot of corn piles up under the cage and on a few occasions we found broken tines underneath that were likely due to antlers getting caught in the cage. While they stop coons better than an unprotected spinner, some coons can still reach the thrower to spin it--or they will jerk on the solar panel wires to shake corn loose. I've had to repair several wires and actually lost power when coons pulled the clips loose from the battery connections. Also, birds can still get to the spinner through the cage and will feed on it all day long.

We are in the process of replacing our ASFs with other stand-and-fill designs. The Capsule Feeder is great and we have four of them but they are more expensive for a similar feed capacity. They are completely enclosed and use an auger-system to propel corn upward to the spinner. Given the higher cost of the capsules, we are moving toward replacing ours with Platinum Feeders. They have a drop-down spinner so corn isn't accessible by varmints. The feeders also has a pan underneath that keeps corn from falling directly under the feeder. The throwing distance is comparable to most other feeders. Sitting in the middle, it will probably throw corn in a 40' diameter circle.

I think these feeders are similar to the cost of ASF stand-and-fills of a similar capacity but they may be a little more expensive. My guess is the Texas Hunter feeder K-Dog posted about above is a similar concept and better varmint proof than the ASF. I can attest that these actual varmint-proof feeders throwing for the same amount of time and putting out the same amount of corn, will have about 200# of corn left in them when our ASFs go empty. I believe this is strictly due to varmint waste and the corn you save will probably pay for the price difference in a couple of fills. The three we bought this year will pay for themselves in two seasons. I hope this helps!

Comment

The new lamcos are awesome! I have a few of the old timer 1000lb feeders and they are pretty nice. Nothing beats the lamcos in my opinion.

Comment

What I did with mine was set it up on cinder blocks. Seemed to help and it allowed the deer to get to the corn easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                    I am thinking about getting the one Texas Hunter makes, the hideaway feeder.

http://www.texashunterproducts.com/t.../#.Vroe-PkrJD8
                    I have a THP winch-up feeder and it has performed flawlessly for 7+ years. No issues.... same battery... never failed.

I'm a big fan of their products.

Comment

Looking at the lamco feeders has anyone seen the new 1000lb low and throw feeder? It's only 5 feet tall and would be easy to fill it. It's also cheaper on their website than the all seasons feeder has their 1000lb.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish_25 View Post
                        Looking at the lamco feeders has anyone seen the new 1000lb low and throw feeder? It's only 5 feet tall and would be easy to fill it. It's also cheaper on their website than the all seasons feeder has their 1000lb.

Yes. They r lil tanks ! Work awesome

Comment

I am pretty much sold on the lamco feeder. I can get one alot closer than I could an all seasons.

Comment

I've never seen one of these before. I'd sacrifice a little feed spread (if it's even an issue) to keep from climbing ladders or negotiating crank-ups all the time. I think I need one.

Comment

From the looks of it with that round plate on it will keep feed from piling up right underneath it.

Comment

Working...
                              X