Fabricators or math gurus please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabricators or math gurus please help

Guys yesterday I picked up a 500 gallon and two 250 gallon propane tanks for 50 bucks each from a local company. I'm going to have a pit built with the 250's.

The 500 is destined to make some large capacity feeders.

My question is, if I cut the ends off and use them as the hopper for two corn/ protein feeders what will capacity be? The tank is slightly over 36 inches wide, and I planned to use a 36 inch long peice. Any help will be appreciated. I want the feeder to hold 600-800 pounds.

The tank will be fitted with a lid, and legs with skids at the bottom. I want it so it can be filled from side of the truck or have a platform made on to it.

I know tere was a similar post, but I can't get the search feature to work on my phone. Thanks for any help that is offered.

So you are asking the volume of a 36" diameter x 36" tall cylinder correct? It would be 36643.5 cubic inches or 21.2 cubic feet

1 bushel is 56lbs and 1.25 cubic feet, so it will hold 16.9 bushels or 950lbs

Comment

Around 950

Comment

Dirty Dave beat me to it. Cut your length down to 30" and it will put you very close to the 800 lb mark.

Comment

^^^^ agree with above comments. Be really careful if you are going to cut on those tanks, I've witnessed a guy cut into a vessel to replace internals, not a propane tank, and the explosion when he cut into it laid the head of the vessel open like a hungry redneck tearing into a sardine can! Luckily no one was injured but the idiot operating the torch and everyone in the shop that day needed a fresh set of fruit of the loom's!

Good luck, that will be a feeder that lasts a lifetime!

Comment

Yes my cousin will be building it for me. He hooks them up to a generator or log splitter and uses carbon monoxide from exhaust to clean them. He has done hundreds of pits, trailer pits, etc using tanks. I'll leave it to him to do the cutting and welding, as he is a an artist when it comes to this type of thing. His creativity is something special. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Okay these been a change. The propane tank I picked up yesterday is actually 40 inches in diameter. So to achieve the 600-800 lb capacity, what length will be needed?

It appears that this is going to be a low profile type of feeder, which is fine by me cause it will be easier to fill. Sorry for the change and everyone's help.

Comment

Originally posted by trooperjd View Post
                Okay these been a change. The propane tank I picked up yesterday is actually 40 inches in diameter. So to achieve the 600-800 lb capacity, what length will be needed?

It appears that this is going to be a low profile type of feeder, which is fine by me cause it will be easier to fill. Sorry for the change and everyone's help.
                about 25 inches

Comment

Well thanks aghntr10! I was close but didn't trust my math skills.

Comment

Working...
                  X