Blood lights....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood lights....

After my dusk/dark trailing last weekend, I'm curious about the blood tracking flashlights.

1) Are they worth it?

2) What are the good ones?

I got one of the Gerber ones as a gift a few years ago. I didn't really think it was anything special(you could see the blood, but not any better than a regular flashlight.) That was until I was tracking a doe with a couple of buddies. I turned on the blood light just to see if it would work. Immediately my buddy my left turned to me and said "what the "heck is that light?!?!" According to him the blood was glowing!

So, to answer your question... I think they work, but it depends on the angle you are looking. As far as worth it, that's up to you. If you generally track by yourself, i wouldn't buy one. If you have buddies helping it may be worth it.

Comment

If you want the best and usually the cheapest blood tracking light, use a Coleman gas lantern. Just make sure you block off the light coming back towards you and they work better than most any other light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        If you want the best and usually the cheapest blood tracking light, use a Coleman gas lantern. Just make sure you block off the light coming back towards you and they work better than most any other light.
        x2 on the lantern!

Comment

What is it that makes the lantern so good? I have heard this but never tried one!

Comment

Walmart sells a little everready cap light with blood tracking LEDS for about $6

Comment

I think on the Coleman lantern, it is the type of light that is put out that makes is work well.

Comment

It's the white-white light from the Coleman. I'm partially color blind and have blood trailed withy Petzl duck hunting head lamp. The halogen build produces a similar white-white light, and both your hands are free if you're crawling or moving brush to look for blood.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I'll start shopping around

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    I think on the Coleman lantern, it is the type of light that is put out that makes is work well.
                    Bingo, it's the ultra white light given off by the lantern. The closest that you can get to this is the newer style ultra bright (white) LED flashlights.

I have the primos blood hunter (red/green combo) and it works but the issue to me is that it makes many other things look like blood. Serveral leaves that my have a "splotchy" color for lack of better words even shadows. It will leave you guessing and wasting time looking at every little thing.

I bought a quality LED light producing 250 Lumens on high and have tested it next to the Primos light, it will show blood much better than the blood hunter.

I do carry the blood hunter in the truck as on the green only setting it makes a good spot light for scanning open ground for a white belly. I trailed one last year that was just leaving a few tiny specks of blood, scanned the landscape and spotted her about 80 yards from where I was standing and 100 yards from the shot.

I was turned on to this theory by a fellow TBH'r who does a tremdous amount of night hunting, gonehuntin68.

Comment

Working...
                    X