Field Dressing Table??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Dressing Table??

I usually field dress my deer on the ground and with a winch at camp, but after having 6 hogs to do last weekend (by myself) I'm looking for an easier way. Last year a buddy of mine hunted at his bosses ranch. He said they had a "table" they used. According to his description it was V or trough shaped so the deer would lay in there on its back and not try to roll. The table legs also extended up past the "table top" so you could tie the animals legs off and the animal would be spread eagle and easy to get to. Anybody ever seen anything like this or better yet know where to find one? If you have pictures of one, I would like to see them also. I'm thinking if I had a table like this plus my winch set up the animals would almost gut themselves. What say you TBH?
    Last edited by cehorn; 09-23-2010, 07:35 AM.

They had something similar at the Stasney's Cook ranch we hunted a few times.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1450 (Custom).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	23954674

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1449 (Custom).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	23954675

I can't imagine it being much easier than having one winched vertical, on a gambrel, stabilized from swinging..... but, maybe I'm wrong.
    Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

There have been some posted in the DYI section in the past. Try a search there.

Edit: Dervin is Johnny on the spot!

Comment

Is it easier to do it this way or just hang them up by their feet? I have never skinned anything on the ground before. Just curious!

Comment

I have one like the picture, but we tilted it down and put Two 24inch rebar rods on the edge to attach the legs to in order to keep the cavity open and the animal on the table. It makes things very easy.

Comment

I would think doing it in the air would be easier so the guts just fall vs you having to kind of shovel them over and onto the ground? Unless you do like Snipehunter and elevate it...that sounds like a darn good idea?

Comment

Originally posted by kathunk View Post
              I would think doing it in the air would be easier so the guts just fall vs you having to kind of shovel them over and onto the ground? Unless you do like Snipehunter and elevate it...that sounds like a darn good idea?
              I will post a pic of it when I get home this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Snipehunter View Post
                I will post a pic of it when I get home this evening.
                And then you will use those to look at while building me one...and then deliver it too? SWEET! Thanks man!

Comment

Originally posted by kathunk View Post
                  And then you will use those to look at while building me one...and then deliver it too? SWEET! Thanks man!
                  I would not mind that at all if you provide the material

Comment

i've seen some with places to hook the legs in too..looks pretty good

Comment

The one I saw and intend to build one just like it, was about 2' x 5' and and had a good slope on it so the "innards" would roll out front to back. The upper end of the table had a vee shaped slot in it to hold the neck of about any sized animal and gravity help him upside down and in the proper position for dressing. The table top also had a valley in the middle running lengthwise so all fluids and solids would run to center and down to the lower end and fall into the gut bucket. Really neat item and very user friendly.

Comment

I want to see this.. I have used a similar version except it was made of wood and was designed like an X. The body would fit in the upper portion of the X shaped cradle..

Comment

Snipehunter has it right. Put some metal running up the front and back ends, with a small chain on each piece. Wrap the chain around the legs and hook onto the metal bracket. This holds the legs apart so you can work. Make it high enough so you dont have to bend over. Also get a gut bucket, and just drag the guts into the bucket. Very easy and clean. I find when gutting them hanging on the rack the guts always get in my way. Also having them with the rear at a lower angle makes it simple to hose out the insides and drain the water out easily.

Comment

Devin that is exactly what I'm talking about or looking for. And for clarification I'm looking at using both the table and the winch. I'm thinking I throw the animal on the table, tie the feet off and open it up from throat to tail and make sure everything is ready to come out. Then I'll winch it up and drop the guts into a bucket and skin it.

Comment

a
                              Last edited by Codie; 09-23-2010, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X