Whites on the Gabriel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whites on the Gabriel

How far up river from Tejas Park can I catch Whites? Do they travel farther up?

interested as well.

Sometimes when the water is down, they can't get past the ranch road crossing mile or so down river. When it is up, they will go as far as they can. I have been there when they were thick around the bridge, but just plain would not bite.

Comment

Depends on how the water is running. I have caught them under the 183 bridge before.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post
        Depends on how the water is running. I have caught them under the 183 bridge before.
        Really? Would of never thought they could go that far east.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
          interested as well.

Sometimes when the water is down, they can't get past the ranch road crossing mile or so down river. When it is up, they will go as far as they can. I have been there when they were thick around the bridge, but just plain would not bite.
          When that's the case you must use a tiny hook and tiny river minnow with no weight

Originally posted by flinger View Post
          Really? Would of never thought they could go that far east.
          They go a lot further when flooding which happens once every 10-15 years.

Comment

I've got a few deep holes close to where we are. The water has been up more than normal lately. I was thinking about catching some minnows with a cast net and trying it out. I'm just west of the bridge off Ronald Reagan. Wasn't sure if they really do get that far or not?

Comment

I've seen them while looking off the CR 257 bridge that is only half a mile down stream of the 183 bridge. I looked yesterday at the river behind the house and they weren't there yet. I'm a mile down stream of Tejas.

The river is up about 3' this morning, not muddy but off colored. They ought to start pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                When that's the case you must use a tiny hook and tiny river minnow with no weight
                yeah, I figured at that point it was river minna time. I had a cast net, but I think my son has it or had it and it is probably history by now. May have to get another one.

What type of water do you look for to cast out for minnas? slow, shallow?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                  yeah, I figured at that point it was river minna time. I had a cast net, but I think my son has it or had it and it is probably history by now. May have to get another one.

What type of water do you look for to cast out for minnas? slow, shallow?
                  Usually cast net holes are way too big to catch the baby minnows lock jawed whites eat. Need a small seine.

But if using a net throw in shallow rapids and pull in super fast. The wave will push some on the rocks that would normally get away.

Comment

Catching a few at Granger. Dickerson Bottom yesterday morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gary white bass 2017 tbh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	24486024

Comment

Catching a few at Granger. Dickerson Bottom yesterday morning.

[ATTACH]842706[/ATTACH]
                      Nice! I'm hoping to try next weekend.

Comment

Kiddo and I checked it out about two weeks ago. Didn't stay long as we had fished the steps earlier. Was told its about a mile walk towards the lake before you get into any kind of deeper water.

Don't know how much it may have come up with the storm that just passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
                          I've got a few deep holes close to where we are. The water has been up more than normal lately. I was thinking about catching some minnows with a cast net and trying it out. I'm just west of the bridge off Ronald Reagan. Wasn't sure if they really do get that far or not?
                          They will not make it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
                            If you are in Leander then you are on the south Gabriel so they won't be there. On the north Gabriel then you may have some get that far this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                              If you are in Leander then you are on the south Gabriel so they won't be there. On the north Gabriel then you may have some get that far this year.
                              I'm on the north Gabriel. I've heard folks have caught them all the way up to the 183 bridge on the north Gabriel.

Comment

Working...
                              X