Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How difficult a job is it to clean carbs on a 60 hp outboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How difficult a job is it to clean carbs on a 60 hp outboard?

Picked up a new to me boat today and want to run through the motor, replace what needs to be done and clean carbs. Got a guy with a shop happy to do it for 250, can I do it myself for less or should I let him take care of it. And what all should running through a motor to make sure it's in top shape consist of?

Thanks guys, should say this is my first boat, so there will be a learning curve here.

For $250.....
    If this is your first boat..
    Let him do it....

Comment

Let him get you up and running and you just take it from there

Comment

It all depends how intemidated you are by rowing.

Comment

Cleaning them is the easy part, tuning them afterwards is tough part if you don't know what you are doing.

Comment

Pay him to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's a simple job. But if his price includes carb kits also let him do it. He will get them synchronized and probably check for other problems also.
              Fuel filter
              Water pump
              Change lower unit fluid
              Spark plugs
              Also ethanol might have deteriorated fuel lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pay him the 250 and thank us later!

Comment

1 pull carbs
                  2.count turns it takes to bottom out the adjustment screw
                  On each carb
                  3 clean carb
                  4 set screws to the same point the where by bottoming screws and count turns backing them out
                  5 reinstall

Comment

It's not hard at all. You'll need mechanic wire to clean out the high speed jets.

I will say that if you haven't done it before let him do it, if that price includes the kits. See if you can watch him do it or find a friend who knows how to do it and watch him.

You have 3 carbs so that price if it includes the kits isn't a bad price.

Comment

Without the proper tools to readjust and sync the carbs I would definitely let someone else do the job as long as the have the proper tools and experience.
                      I would also want it lake tested to be sure it is repaired properly. Idle, power up and cruise. It ain't rocket science but most people that do it themselves end up taking it to a professional to get them dialed in properly. Been there done that.
                      I should have bought one of these.

Comment

Ok thanks guys. That was my plan was to just have him take care of it, run through everything and make sure I'm in good shape- he is a professional, owns a small boat yard in Robinson so he knows what he's doing. I figured it was worth asking if everyone said no it's an easy job do it yourself. I appreciate the input!

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                          Without the proper tools to readjust and sync the carbs I would definitely let someone else do the job as long as the have the proper tools and experience.
                          I would also want it lake tested to be sure it is repaired properly. Idle, power up and cruise. It ain't rocket science but most people that do it themselves end up taking it to a professional to get them dialed in properly. Been there done that.
                          I should have bought one of these.
                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTION-PRO-S...-/311768407497
                          I guess they know how to sell a took don't they..... Lol

Comment

$250 aint bad,especially if your not comfortable with the DIY-IMO. Good luck with it.

Comment

The proper tool is a screw driver and unless the motor is antique the only adjustment is low speed (idle) jets. Newr motors.have no adjustments at all. Syncronizing is simple too.

Comment

Working...
                              X