Win 243 conversion to predator rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post

What's a good round for hide preservation on small animals?
    .223 or .204 if you're wanting to save the pelt on coyotes and bobcats. I'd go with a 22 Hornet or .17 Hornet for fox.

As for the .243, 87 grain Ballistic Tips or 90 grain Softpoints will straight hammer a coyote.
    Last edited by okrattler; 02-24-2017, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
      What's a good round for hide preservation on small animals?
      bullet construction is more critical than cartridge or round

Note the pics below. 1st cat was shot with a 17 Rem and a 25 gr Berger match bullet. 2nd pic details what happens when a 223 with a 50 gr BT "splashes" and blows up on contact.

Here is a video of my friend Dave Afflect who is using a custom 17 Predator cartridge on ALL kills. These dogs were shot in Colorado and Utah. 30 gr custom bullet at 4100 fps kills 'em stone dead

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
      I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
      Last edited by Cajun Blake; 02-24-2017, 10:36 PM.

Comment

My advice as to the changing the stock is float the barrel and bed the action. If you have a good wooden stock, that is fine, in my opinion. Also, put in a timney trigger or similar. as for ammo, if you're shooting coyote, probably any 243 round will do. You don't need a varmint round. Just hit em good

Comment

Working...
        X