Davy Crockett National Forest: Turkey Hunting 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davy Crockett National Forest: Turkey Hunting 2011

Can anyone comment on the turkey hunting here past or present?

I just got back from a hunt on private land and between 4 hunters over 3 days we only saw 2 toms and very few hens. We are supposed to go back this weekend, but it's a long drive and there just aren't many birds.

I was thinking DCNF would be worth a shot. Is it over-hunted? Do they have a history of a good bird population, etc? Any insight into turkey hunting there would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Everyone must be watching The Masters.

Over 16k members somebody on TBH has to have hunted here.....

Comment

During my years hunting there (back in the 80's never saw a bird doesn't mean they don't exist tho.

Comment

They say this on their website: "The U.S. Forest Service, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the National Wild Turkey Federation are working cooperatively in a restocking program to reintroduce wild turkeys on national forest lands. Numbers have increased significantly to allow a spring season for wild turkey hunting."

So hopefully it's better than when you went. You never know....

Anyone else have any info on this area? Specifically has anyone hunted the Big Slough Wilderness?

Comment

It's very quiet in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are turkeys on Davy Crockett but not a whole lot of birds. there was a report that came out in the lufkin paper about possibly closing turkey season here for awhile. while they restocked the birds have done to well in this area. Ive seen a few birds at alabama Creek and a few birds at alazan Bayou. but nothing compared to North texas or hill country. i think our hog population fireants and coyotes puts a damper on turkey hunting around here

Comment

and the big slough ive hunted that alot, lots of hogs and deer especially closer to the river. there are some huge hardwoods down in there very pretty. I did see a few turkey when scouting hogs close to ratcliff in Tadmor to be exact its right off of 227 quite a few hogs and deer in that area, its real close to lake ratcliff

Comment

Going to be hit or miss... Basically have to know where they concentrate their restocking efforts around the local NF land.

Comment

Working...
                X