DIY or rather DIO Colorado Public Land Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY or rather DIO Colorado Public Land Elk

I know it's DIY, but it was really a "Do it ourselves" because it was not possible without my good fried Mike Miller being apart of this hunt. We planned our OTC hunt this year for the week before my New Mexico guided hunt. Mike and I would hunt, then I dropped down into New Mexico. The first few days produced one bull that talked to us right before dark one evening. The next day we planned on going back into that area, but two hunters moved in and went into that area. So we decided to head in the opposite direction the next evening. That evening we were easing back to camp when we heard a bugle up way above the trail we were walking back to camp. So the next evening we headed up to were we could set up below the shelf that we suspected the bulls were bedded. Right before dark, Mike set up behind me to call. I spotted a bull moving down from the shelf to my right. He stopped about a 100 yards away and stared in the direction off Mike's calls. Mike gave him one more cow call and he started our way on a string. He got to within 30 yards in no time at all. He turned broadside, I drew and sent an Exodus tipped arrow through both lungs. He ran up hill about 20 yards. I saw him standing. I have always heard or read that if you get a follow up shot on an elk to take it. I had a tiny window between two aspens, so I drew back and gave him another arrow. He ran another 20 yards to my right into an open, so I reached down and grabbed another arrow. The third arrow was perfectly placed behind the shoulder. Apparently, I didn't want this elk to get away. While skinning the first side, I noticed only two holes. I knew all three arrows connected, but was more concerned about getting the elk off the mountain. The next morning I went back for the head and arrows. I found the reason for only two holes instead of three. For the third shot, I accidently grabbed my judo tipped arrow that I had for grouse. I'm lucky that the first shot was all that was needed. After packing out my bull, we got to within 50 yards of a big herd bull, two days later. We pulled a cow and calf from his herd to within 10 yards of Mike. They were steadily calling to us while the bull sounded like Godzilla trying to get his herd back together. Mike never had a clear shot and the big bull followed the rest of his herd off in the opposite direction. Here is a picture of my bull. Not the greatest picture.
    Attached Files

We also enjoyed pan fried trout a few times during the trip.
    Attached Files

Comment

Congrats! How was New Mexico?

Comment

Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats on the bull!

Comment

How is Fried Mike? What's it taste like? sorry, couldn't help myself

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
            How is Fried Mike? What's it taste like? sorry, couldn't help myself
            Not following? I figured it was a typo. I had plenty of food, so no reason to pan fry my buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan C View Post
              Congrats! How was New Mexico?
              I didn't draw my bow back the whole trip. Lots of elk seen and some guys in my group had opportunities at small bulls/cows. We had some close calls but the bulls on the ranch we were on, were not quite ready to act stupid. Two 5x6's were killed in our camp.

Comment

take the plastic off the cork of that fly rod stat!

And, great bull!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                  Not following? I figured it was a typo. I had plenty of food, so no reason to pan fry my buddy.
                  Yeah, I was just giving you a hard time. First sentence said "fried" instead of "Friend" I know what you meant, just playing grammar police Congrats on what sounds like a great trip. I would love to do something like that.
                  Last edited by rladner; 09-22-2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

way to get it done. Congrats

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Congrats on a great hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                          take the plastic off the cork of that fly rod stat!

And, great bull!!!
                          Lol, yeah, last minute purchase. Rod was lost on the way home.

Comment

Congratulations. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Working...
                              X