Night Time Windmill Pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Time Windmill Pics!

I spent a few hours this weekend playing with the new camera and trying to capture a windmill at night backlit by the moon. I also played around using a flashlight to light the windmill as well.

I'm not 100% satisfied with these but man I sure had fun trying to get them right.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00213.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	24791869

Name:	DSC00214.JPG
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	24791870

Name:	DSC00215.JPG
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	24791871

Name:	DSC00220.JPG
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	24791872

Name:	DSC00194.JPG
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	24791873

Third pic is pretty cool! I like!

Comment

Looking good thus far Bruce.

Comment

Great job, agree with Scotty on #3.

Comment

Nice. I like #1 the best. All the others need is a little bit of the rule of thirds.

Comment

i like the 1st as well. cool pics.

Comment

Great job!! I like the first one!

Comment

Not too shabby Bruce... I like # 1. It has a cool look to it...

Comment

Great stuff! I might have considered moving so the moon was slightly to the broken side of the windmill blades to give it good composition and exposing the windmill as a dilapidated earthly object in contrast to the eternally beautiful heavenly one (too much of an analogy?).

Anyway, I thought these were super cool photos anyway. What lens did you use to get the moon shot?

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations and compliments. As for rule of thirds - hell I was just trying to figure out how to take a picture at dark not really worried about the composition.

Rule of thirds probably wouldn't have worked anyway as there were too many trees around.

All pics were with a Sony A550 14.2mp and a Tamron 70-200mm 2.8

The Windmill shots were timer on tripod - the moon was bright enough for free hand.

Comment

Opps forgot one!

Here's a 30 second exposure with no artificial light...I thought it was really cool that in the full size photo you can actually see green leaves on the mesquite. Also thought it was pretty cool that you can see cactus needles on the cactus on top the windmill.

Name:	DSC00217.JPG
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	23913819

Comment

Pretty cool. It's amazing the amount of light you can get with longer exposures. This is a 305 second exposure (5 minutes and 5 seconds). Moon was about a quarter moon.

Comment

Working...
                        X