Scouting Public Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scouting Public Land

New to hunting public land, have always been on a lease in the past. So, when is the best time to scout public land? I do not want to show up and ruin someones hunt, but i also don't want to show up blind. Also, what are the general guidelines for how far to move away from others (i will be bow hunting)? I want to make sure i follow proper etiquette and don't ruin anyone's hunt. Thanks

Start in the spring shed hunting then in the summer....go to the same areas and talk with fellow hunters so everyone is one same page then u should be in the clear from others...this works for me..good luck on public land...

Comment

cyber scout first, once you know where you want to hunt scout the weeks right after the season ends then spring and early summer......pattern the people first then the deer,some areas call for long walks or floating others have areas folks over look close to roads and parking areas.....

Comment

I assume you want to hunt this season. If so, is suggest scouting mid day during the week if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
          I assume you want to hunt this season. If so, is suggest scouting mid day during the week if possible.
          This

Comment

Yes, I was curious about scouting a place during the season. Don't want to make anyone mad.

Comment

Just use your common sense if you go scout and there seems to be some folks in the area you want to scout move to the backup spot. Midday lots of people go for food this gives plenty of time to cover some ground, bait or whatever.

Don't worry about making anyone mad just be courteous and move on if you bump their spot and hopefully folks will do the same for you once you find a place to set. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bueller View Post
                New to hunting public land, have always been on a lease in the past. So, when is the best time to scout public land? I do not want to show up and ruin someones hunt, but i also don't want to show up blind. Also, what are the general guidelines for how far to move away from others (i will be bow hunting)? I want to make sure i follow proper etiquette and don't ruin anyone's hunt. Thanks
                In my public land experiences all these guys above have made some good suggestions. One thing I have used is google maps cause you can zoom in close enough to see game trails. Just be aware it is public land and there are a lot of sorry people out there that are thieves and will mooch off your hard work you put in scouting baiting and setting up a blind. I just recently had a guy saw my spot and saw what I was baiting with (corn/crush powder) threw some out over what I already had out. Then he tore apart half the ground blind I built to put up camo burlap up then shot a deer coming into the bait and drug it back over to about 30' from the blind and bait and gutted it and left the gut pile right there 30 feet away. There was bait out and freshly cut green limbs and plenty of sign the blind was being used so he knew it was a blind being used this year. Which is why he was out there between 1 and 3pm to avoid running into anyone. I have him on game camera that I thankfully had in a relatively hidden spot.

Comment

Most hunters will hunt within 1/2 a mile from where they park. Google earth the area you want to hunt and look for game trails, funnels, pinch points that deer use. Also look for tranistion areas where the vegetation changes.

Comment

Agreed on the Google Earth tip. I don't even start looking at an area on the ground until I have scoured it on G.Earth for some time. Let's me see what's all around that area, and it's saved me a buch of time the past few years.

Comment

Bring lot of coffee

Comment

Originally posted by Bueller View Post
                        1st day after deer season ends. Scout through Aug 1st.

Comment

Working...
                        X