No announcement yet.

High end trad bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know my zipper longbow is faster than my Bob Lee recurve, not by much but faster. My Bob Lee isn't slow either.

The argument stated can be applied to rifles as well right??? I should buy a mass produced rifle for performance because they build more there they must know more than a custom build where quality is perceived more important than quantity. Does everyone need a custom built rifle no. Can someone kill all they want with a rem 770, yes. Is a 770 going to win a 1000yd competition no. Does everyone have the skill to notice the difference and benefits of a custom rifle, no.

Not all customs are built the same. But several are built with the attention to detail to make them shoot extremely well. Performance for a traditional hunting bow can not be defined with speed alone. It comes with draw cycle, quietness, speed. And many more.

If you know what you want ie riser length, grip style, sight window size, center cut. Riser weight, over all length, tiller, limb core material, carbon backed or not, etc. Then by all means get the bow you want custom built. If you are content with a stock bow that is efficient then by all means get two stock bows for the same price. You can kill just as well.

Ultimately it is personal preference to get a custom bow. If what you get justifies the extra $ to you then who cares if anyone else agrees.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
      A bow built for you, not something made on a machine for the masses. And everything else you mentioned
      Ditto. !!

Comment

Bows are alot like girls.
        Everybody has their preference, short, tall, Blondie or Red hair etc

I often wonder why anyone would shoot anything other than a Black Widow but it is what ever you think is pretty.
        Get what you like and enjoy carrying around

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailtrail View Post
          Thanks guys. The car comparison really puts it into perspective, thanks Bisch! Can't wait to get my hands on a custom bow.
          Check with Roy Hall over in Henderson Texas Navajo Longbows, he is a true crafter, i didnt realize a Longbow could be so easy to shoot,

Comment

The one thing I don't equate to longbows is speed. I hear people say , this one is faster or flatter shooting than this one. When I make a bow, speed is the last thing on the list, the ease of drawing the bow, the smooth non effort to get to anchor, the whisper quiet release, how it fits in my hand, the dead in the hand feeling at the shot. the quietness of the bow, so quiet the only thing you hear is a noisy arrow on the way to the target.

And the the lightness of the bow. oh, then there is speed. it is suppose to have an arch in the arrow trajectory. it's not a flat shooting bow, it's not designed to be flat shooting!
            I like the fact I can shoot over a log or a bush, that a compound guy can't shoot because the arrow will deflect off.

I had the pleasure of shooting Bob's 1,000th bow while in Texas couple years ago. he made that milestone when I was down south hunting with a friend.

I saw it on the way back to Austin to catch a flight home, He was gracious to let me shoot it. 3 arrows packed into a golf ball size spot at 20 yards. and it was quiet.

Speed is way over rated when it comes to Traditional bows.
            if you put a Sarrels bow in your hand, you will not regret it.

Comment

It depends what you are looking for in a bow... The Kodiak is a good bow. The term custom is just that custom, meaning custom to what you are wanting... As far as performance differences one it would depend on what you had custom built and two depend on your definition of performance is. For some performance is speed, for a lot that is just it, others it's shoot-ability, forgiveness, tiller maybe. As far as custom built bows, if you need something custom tailored to you then you have to have an idea of what you need or want or your just buying a different bow. I've had my *** handed to me by all different kinda sticks.... Custom, not custom, fast, slow, ugly, even pretty ones. Speed don't kill looks don't win, none of it means anything but to the owner. A good shooter is a good shooter and in the end it is just preference.... My idea of performance is a lot different then limbwalkers. And if you've read his recent post he gets smoked by deer too at whatever speed or range of performance or quietness of the setup he uses. It's all relative and irrelevant.... Custom is what you want.

Find what meshes with you and your style, find a bowyer who builds what you want and shoot the hell out of it!

Carry on

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                Wow, you must be about the smartest man in the world on trad bows.
                Nice Draco.

Attack the person, without addressing my points at all.

Shows your character for sure.

To your comment, I'm pretty comfortable with my "trad" cred's, thank you. I think they speak for themselves.

Comment

How do you know what riser length will work best for you?

Comment

Sling it depends on the bow and your draw length. Riser length isn't the only consideration either, you also need to look at the limb angle and limb length. All three of these combine to determine how much of the working portion of the limb will be engaged at a particular draw length. You want a limb to "open up" properly but not to the point where you start pulling the limb instead of bending it (aka, where it begins to "stack").

I like a bow that starts to stack 'just' after my draw length. That's where you get max. efficiency from the limbs.

I have risers from 15 to 27" in length that all work with the same limbs drawn to 31 - 32.5" because of the geometry of the risers and the limb angles they produce.

That's a long way of saying, try a bunch of bows and see which one you like best.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                      I often wonder why anyone would shoot anything other than a Black Widow but it is what ever you think is pretty.
                      I often wonder why anyone would drive anything other than a Honda, so I can see where you're coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                        By the way, "hitting where you look" is as much about knowing how to match arrows to a bow, and tune the combination, as it is about what bow you are shooting.
                        THIS is the absolute TRUTH!! Agree 100%. May be the best post I've ever seen.

It depends on what you're looking for Deb.

If we're talking about a blindfolded-shooting quality and performance test, then I disagree.

If we're talking about the feeling you get from shooting a bow custom made for you that you love looking at and love knowing the person who built it, then I have to agree with you.

If you can get both, then all the better, but it's very rare.
                        Lol, I don't care if you disagree. I'm right.
                        Last edited by Deb; 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sling shot View Post
                          How do you know what riser length will work best for you?
                          You really need to get with a bunch of trad guys and shoot all of their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                            THIS is the absolute TRUTH!! Agree 100%. May be the best post I've ever seen.

Lol, I don't care if you disagree. I'm right.
                            After 23 years of marriage, I've learned the woman is ALWAYS right.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                              Wow, you must be about the smartest man in the world on trad bows.
                              After 23 years of marriage, I've learned the woman is ALWAYS right.
                              Bob, ya gotta admit it-he is pretty smart.

Comment

I have gone through the entire full circle thingy a couple times. I have finally come to realize, it is the bow that boosts your confidence. True it has to fit you, but it's the bow that when you put your foot against the shooting steak or intensly focus on that small spot of hair on the animal there is no doubt what so ever in your mind that you are going to shoot a 12/10 or put that arrow through the heart. Makes no difference where/who built the bow, drop dead gorgeous to look at or plain Jane, if it don't give you total confidence then you ain't got crap. JMO
                                Last edited by trad"Doc"53; 11-04-2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X