Ar-15 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ar-15 ?

Any real world advantage to having a 20" barrel over a 18" for a gun that will be used to shoot hogs in thick woods? 150 yards max shooting, 6.5 Grendel if that matters. Accuracy difference maybe?

Velocity

Comment

Heck, I would go 16" for that application...sounds crazy for only a couple inches, but the AR is a much more handy hunting rig with the minimum length bbl. Velocity really isn't that important unless you need to reach out 2x the distance you are needing.

Comment

6.5 Grendel is really designed to run thru 20”, enegery and speed are the main factors, if your considering 18 might as well do 20 now if the question is 14/16 vs 20 then it would be a question. If your strictly carrying it a ton shooting off hand in the brush and stuff less than 150 I’d go 16 or shorter

Comment

I know a few people with 16" Grendles and they shoot great. If you are wanting to stretch the shots out a little farther I would go 20". Short, 150y or less, 16" barrel is fine.
          I have a 24" heavy barrel on mine and it weighs a TON!

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
            I know a few people with 16" Grendles and they shoot great. If you are wanting to stretch the shots out a little farther I would go 20". Short, 150y or less, 16" barrel is fine.
            I have a 24" heavy barrel on mine and it weighs a TON!
            I can say that 123 grain bullet with 28 grains of 8208 out of a 24” barrel should be around 2500 fps according to the book.

I am running a 16” barrel and getting 2320 fps.

I don’t believe a pig at 100 yards will be able to tell the difference

Comment

No. Go with a short barrel. . . . And then add a suppressor.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                I can say that 123 grain bullet with 28 grains of 8208 out of a 24” barrel should be around 2500 fps according to the book.

I am running a 16” barrel and getting 2320 fps.

I don’t believe a pig at 100 yards will be able to tell the difference
                That's what I was trying to say. Unless you are planning on 5 football fields or more a 16" barrel should work fine and be a whole lot easier to haul around in the brush.
                Last edited by lbbf; 08-18-2018, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

I’m wanting a 12” Grendel.

Comment

Several posters on the Grendel forum are seeing good performance from barrels as short as 12". I just finished my first Grendel, with a 16" Faxon barrel, mid-length gas. Seeing chrony results of around 2380 fps with factory 123gr Hornady SST. Looks like energy drops below 1000 ft-lbs around 300 yards or so. Plenty good for the hunting I plan to do with it, with a suppressor.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                      X