Reloading Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading Question

I am trying to work up some different loads for a new 300 win mag. Lets say I have found my best load to be 79g of H1000 with a 180gr Nosler Partition after testing 74g through 80g with the same bullet. Question is, will that same load be the best with a different bullet? Say if I go to a Nosler Accubond or a Ballistic Tip? Or would it be best to test the different bullets with different powders and charges?

Different bullet = different load data. Especially if s different weight projectile is used. If in same weight class same powder can be utilized. Of course, this will require some testing. Base, ogive, oal of bullet will change seating depth requirements.

Comment

Anytime you change a component you start from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          Yep. I just recently changed from one 180 grain bullet to another for my .357 Max loads. The min / max powder recommendations for each were significantly different.

Anytime I change any component, I start over. I also drop down from my known perfect load and step back up slowly to test when I change from one lot of powder to another - even though they are the same powder. They are usually the same, or very close, but I do it anyway.

Safety first.

All the best,
          Glenn

Comment

Thanks for the info! Guess I will test the other bullets with the different powders as well! Im fairly new to reloading, and this is the first I have heard of "ogive"?? After doing some research on it, I have a basic understanding of what it is, but have no idea how to find it or utilize it!! I just figured if I was in the correct OACL, I should be good.....am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
              Question is, will that same load be the best with a different bullet? Or would it be best to test the different bullets with different powders and charges?
              No
              Yes

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
                Thanks for the info! Guess I will test the other bullets with the different powders as well! Im fairly new to reloading, and this is the first I have heard of "ogive"?? After doing some research on it, I have a basic understanding of what it is, but have no idea how to find it or utilize it!! I just figured if I was in the correct OACL, I should be good.....am I wrong?
                Berger shows a good picture of base to ogive versus C.O.A.L. The two bullets being used are different, and you can see how the resulting COAL is different, but the Base to Ogive measurements are the same.

On loads with the same bullet (you're trying to replicate your known good cartridge load), measuring COAL could give you various measurements due to the mis-shaped meplats. In this example, i've pulled 5 from a box. All have different lengths, even though some are not very noticable in difference on the left. However, I shaved the heck out of the one to the far right on purpose to exaggerate this example so it might make more sense.

These are measurements taken of a normal bullet, and the one I really buggered up the meplat, using COAL for the method of measuring. This way, you get to see a huge difference measuring two of the same rounds, loaded with the same die. Imagine trying to get all of your loads to measure the same with this method.

Damaged meplat:

Regular meplat:

Now lets measure both with a Hornady Comparator set - http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...nserts-1-Each/

Damaged meplat:

Regular meplat:

So here is why I use the Hornady tool to measure Base to Ogive - After I get the length I want, I use my Hornady tool to check the B2O measurement. I record it. If I change my die setting, I recheck my re-set when it's time to load more of these bullets by using this tool and checking the B20. Once it's right, the die is set, and I can duplicate the exact rounds I was previously making. If I only measure COAL, a difference in meplats can have me setting my die to an inaccurate setting.

I hope this makes sense.

All the best,
                Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                  Berger shows a good picture of base to ogive versus C.O.A.L. The two bullets being used are different, and you can see how the resulting COAL is different, but the Base to Ogive measurements are the same.

On loads with the same bullet (you're trying to replicate your known good cartridge load), measuring COAL could give you various measurements due to the mis-shaped meplats. In this example, i've pulled 5 from a box. All have different lengths, even though some are not very noticable in difference on the left. However, I shaved the heck out of the one to the far right on purpose to exaggerate this example so it might make more sense.

These are measurements taken of a normal bullet, and the one I really buggered up the meplat, using COAL for the method of measuring. This way, you get to see a huge difference measuring two of the same rounds, loaded with the same die. Imagine trying to get all of your loads to measure the same with this method.

Damaged meplat:

Regular meplat:

Now lets measure both with a Hornady Comparator set - http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...nserts-1-Each/

Damaged meplat:

Regular meplat:

So here is why I use the Hornady tool to measure Base to Ogive - After I get the length I want, I use my Hornady tool to check the B2O measurement. I record it. If I change my die setting, I recheck my re-set when it's time to load more of these bullets by using this tool and checking the B20. Once it's right, the die is set, and I can duplicate the exact rounds I was previously making. If I only measure COAL, a difference in meplats can have me setting my die to an inaccurate setting.

I hope this makes sense.

All the best,

Glenn

Excellent write up Glenn. Good job. Makes it easy to follow. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    Excellent write up Glenn. Good job. Makes it easy to follow. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    I'll second that ! Where were you when I was rooting out all this info on my own ?

Comment

Good explanation and the same way I do it

Comment

Reloading Question

Great explanation Glenn! To the OP - I'd recommend also getting the Hornady OAL gauge and a modified case for each caliber you're going to be reloading for. Like the Comparator set, it's an invaluable tool!

The only time I measure OAL any more is when I need to insure that my loads will fit in a magazine. Other than that I just use the measurement from the base of the cartridge to the ogive of a seated bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Horitexan; 01-23-2017, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Good info. I wanted to mention one thing for the newbs
                          Be mindful when measuring any oal from base using a primed round. Sometimes I have brass which requires pocket reaming or Swaging and the primer sits proud and throws off oal measurement. It is sometimes a good idea to complete a primer less dummy round and take measurements that way.

Comment

That was a ton of great info. Excellent write up by Glenn.

Here's some info to cook your noodle:

Now that you've figured out your charge weight, you can fine tune the load further by fiddling with the projectile seating depth. It's amazing how much influence a few thousandth can have down range.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post

Damaged meplat:

Regular meplat:

Damaged meplat:

Regular meplat:

I hope this makes sense.

All the best,
                              Glenn

Awesome info and thank you a ton!! That does make more sense now!! I have never been able to get "really" good accuracy and this is probably why! Thank you again!!

Comment

Working...
                              X