No announcement yet.

Drawn for Aransas NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was my first hunt at Aransas NWR. I did my research, took advantage of early access for scouting and met some great guys that hunt there a lot.
    I'd like to poll the group.
    Would you hunt a taped area?
    I know at least one of you that, if honest, says 'yes'.
    Seems that when I had to head home after it appeared the high winds Thursday tried to win a wrestling match with my tent, that missing an evening and a morning hunt makes it fare game. Good job dude on your 3 hogs. And thanks for leaving before my return. But maybe if I was able to meet you, I could have helped retrieve the other two hogs as my game cam only has you dragging one hog by my 2nd stand area.

Comment

Kinda iffy as this was the first hunt down there. Last time I got drawn down there we were told by the refuge officer to use a certain color tape. If it was not that color tape it was because it was left from a previous hunt.

I did hunt a taped area. (Not the color of hunt I was on) No other hunters were around as it was from a previous hunt. Your situation obviously different.

Comment

I hunted around tape quite often. Every right of way was taped off and those are essentially the only way to get around. So I just walked right on past those.

Comment

I don’t like seeing tape on public land.

Comment

When did they start allowing tape to be put on sendero’s out there? No dog in the fight but I think that is crazy. You pretty much have to walk the sendero’s to get to where you want to go. I have hunted a lot of areas there. Many I do not even remember. I do remember hunting quite a bit around Bergentine Lake. Always saw deer around there. There were some places we would walk and we would never see any other hunters. My Dad and his buddies hunted that place for so long they knew their way around some of the better areas. They drug some deer and hogs off that place and it wasn’t easy.

Comment

Permethrin soak all of your clothing, head net (screw the warnings), gloves. Permethrin is your friend. It worked extremely well last year -- the beasts die on contact. Anything not covered with Permethrin-treated clothing, use more DEET or PICARIDIN than you think is safe or smart, and at least you won't die of loss of blood to the skeeters.

Comment

Some of the tape was put up by the refuge. It marks off areas where no vehicle or bike can cross. They blocked off a couple of the small interior roads. They also mowed more right of ways and senderos to help the hunters. The other tape allowed to be used by hunters, has to be biodegradable and a certain color. Example, White for the archery hunt. You can mark your trail to help navigate but are supposed to pick it all up at the end of the hunt. I am curious to hear how the hunting ended up with the new senderos and closed roads. Numbers of animals taken and how hunters liked it from years past.

Comment

I hunted the early Oct hunt and it was a great hunt. It was my first time there even though I was raised in CC. I used a 10’ tripod and am convinced it’s the way to go. I harvested a 2.5 yr 8 point and a 60# hog. The mosquitos are a beating. I always wore 2-3 shirts, snake boots, head net, hat, & 25% up to 98% deet repellant. You simply have to work the wind. I can’t say that it was over run with deer, but I saw a fair amount.
                  Since they are doing a lot of rebuilding of the facilities there was no cleaning station, water, or cooler. I literally gutted and quartered the animals at the truck and tossed the meat in the ice chest in the field.
                  It was an incredible week. Since they are utilizing the back gate it made the drive to Goose Island SP a breeze. Goose Is is about 20 mi and Hoppers landing was about 10 mi. Both have plenty of awesome camping and fishing. I didn’t see any snakes or gators.
                  The Cons: no cooler available, ppl seem to over use the bio-tape and have multiple hunting spots, there was lots of tape on trails near mine but I never saw hunters at the areas. And lots of skeeters!

To wrap up, I’d definanlty hunt there again. Lots of land on a week long hunt and no antler restrictions! Take the week and get plenty of hunting and fishing in ��!

Comment

Appreciate the summary of your experience - I’m going in this December for the rifle hunt - I’m super excited

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
                      Appreciate the summary of your experience - I’m going in this December for the rifle hunt - I’m super excited

Same here. I’m planning to drive in everyday since I live in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Took this nice 8 point this morning, first day of Rifle Hunt 2. Mine was the fifth buck brought in by 11am. Ranger said Rifle Hunt 1 was the most successful hunt in the Reserve's history, and Rifle Hunt 2 was starting off with a bang, too.
                        Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like ppeeks59.

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
                          Took this nice 8 point this morning, first day of Rifle Hunt 2. Mine was the fifth buck brought in by 11am. Ranger said Rifle Hunt 1 was the most successful hunt in the Reserve's history, and Rifle Hunt 2 was starting off with a bang, too.
                          https://imgur.com/I8uv0RB
                          Congrats! I went to my spot last year and didnt have any movement the first day(had to leave at 1 for a wedding). Went back last night and had 2 different guys shoot within 500 yards of me so I feel a little better about it, but I am gonna change up spots for tomorrow night and wednesday.

Comment

I was on the first hunt. Wish I had taken a pic of the board.

First day had 18 bucks taken. Largest an 11 point.
                            Every day after had more deer than pigs taken. At least that’s what the board showed. Lots of shots heard.

Planning on doing a write up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
                              https://imgur.com/I8uv0RB

Awesome, congrats! Did you hunt off of a tripod?

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
                                Awesome, congrats! Did you hunt off of a tripod?

Yes, hunted from a tripod set up at half height (that is, modified to work without the bottom half of each leg), tucked tight into a gap between two mesquite trees. I also have the chair curtained with blind canvas down to below my feet so it really just looks like part of the tree foliage, even when I'm up in it. Saw deer every day (not always shootable, sometimes driving out), shot a big sow on Tuesday morning, after which I had to head for home. Number of hunters and number of deer shot were surprising low throughout the hunt, given the start last Saturday, and the harvest tally was especially surprising given how many deer I saw. I guess others didn't see what I saw. Also, there are huge gators in the water holes -- I stayed away from water.
                                Here's the pig: https://imgur.com/RABMJIt

Comment

Working...
                                X