Which flats wading boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which flats wading boots?

I'm going fly fishing for reds on October 12. We will meet the guide at Goose Island State Park, so I assume we will be fishing somewhere close but not exactly sure where. I have no idea if we will be totally in the boat or if we will get out and wade some. Just in case, I thought I would buy a pair of neoprene wading boots.

Any recommendations from anyone who has actually used any of these boots?

1.) Ray-Guard a.) Flats Boot or b.) Reef Boot (Can't see much difference.)

2.) Hodgman

3.) Cabela's

4.) Magellan

I am leaning toward the Hodgman because they are 9" and taller than the others, and they have a front zipper. I am concerned that a side zipper would chaf my ankles. Are these generally worn with or without socks?

Should we wear the shin guards? Is there a danger of sting rays in the shallows in that area?

Old pair of tennis shoes or in your case SAS Mall Walkers.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      Old pair of tennis shoes or in your case SAS Mall Walkers.
      SAS... or SOS!

Click image for larger version

Name:	A7DA3CED-B008-4E9B-A277-5CF93538352E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	24554348

Comment

I have plantar fasciitis and can't wear any of the zip up boots all day. I have a couple different Simms lace ups that are as comfortable as tennis shoes that I highly recommend. One pair was around $100 and the other closer to $200, kinda pricey for once a year. Foreverlast makes a lace up but I've never worn them. What size do you wear?

Comment

11 shoe and 11-12 boot, but I do not want to have to lace these up.

Comment

Wear thick socks, will help keep the shell off your feet. Prevent cuts. I have the everlast, both reef and flats, they do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Reef boot is thicker and stronger, wont get sliced open by sharp stuff, and sting ray wont penetrate the foot part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                11 shoe and 11-12 boot, but I do not want to have to lace these up.
                Gotcha, I was going to let you use some of mine. All of those you listed will work, the zipper is typically what goes first in the salt.

There will be rays where you find reds in October.

Comment

If you don't wade fish often I wouldn't buy a pair, just use an old pair of tennis shoes.

If you are set on buying, and it's just the one trip, any of the neoprene will work. I wouldn't worry about rays, just do the salt water shuffle.

But if your fly fishing I'd imagine you'll be on the boat the whole time unless there's a fish or 2 they can't quite get to. Who are you going with?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I have fished from there several times with and without a guide. Nearly always in St. Charles Bay. Every flat Ive waded there was near gin clear and would be easy to see rays. For one trip Im not sure Id worry about it.

At 41 and been wading for 30 years I just bought boots and guards last year. And I like the guards separate from the boot

Comment

My newest pair of boots is made by Soft Science and I like them. Easy to get off and on. I also wear Everlast neoprene socks, they work very well for me. I still shuffle my feet though.

Comment

I like just the simple foreverlast boots, especially combined with a nice pair of neoprene Simms wading socks. Those lace ups feel like moon shoes to me.

Comment

If you don't fish all the time I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a pair of wading shoes. Ask your guide if you will even need them first. There is a good chance you won't. If you do I wouldn't spend much for a pair.

As far as comfort in an affordable wading shoe goes the Frogg Toggs wading shoe Academy sells are very comfortable, very light and cost about $50. But you could easily get by with the $19 or $29 ones.

I don't wear socks with my wading shoes. I keep several pairs of them and some are sized to wear over waders, others are sized to wear for wet wading. With the ones for wet wading i don't wear socks. I keep some neoprene wading socks so that I can wear the ones that are sized to go over waders for wet wading but I rarely do that.

My preference is a sturdy lace up wading boot like the Simms Vaportread for waders and a zip up neoprene for wet wading.

Comment

Like others say if it's a one time deal just buy cheaper ones at Academy, I think I have the Magellan but to be honest I use crocks more than my boots. As for ray guards, I've never used them but if they make you feel safer and let you enjoy your wade more then go for it.

Comment

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I hope to actually try some on rather than mail ordering. Not sure which way to go yet, but thank for the recommendations.

Originally posted by Merc View Post
                              Who are you going with?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
                              Chuck Naiser.

Comment

Working...
                              X