Sandhill Cranes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandhill Cranes.

A buddy of mine got a wild hair I guess and wants to go hunt sandhill cranes. Which is alright by me I'll kill whatever walks,flies,swims or crawls. The problem is I don't know the first thing about huntin them and neither does he. What's the best way to go about it? I don't have any decoys and he don't either so I'm guessing about the only way to do it is sit out on a field they've been feeding on and shoot them when they fly over. I have no idea....

Hire a guide.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Aren't you only allowed 2?

Gary

Comment

They decoy well into crane decoys. Find a field where they're feeding or want to be and put out about a dozen decoys, hide and get ready. Also I suggest 12 gauge or 10 with 3.5 inch magnums BB or more. They are tough birds..... ribeye in the sky!

Comment

If you only shoot at cranes, you can use lead.

I consistently kill cranes with 20ga. 2-3/4” #4 lead.

Plan on using a .410 this year on some hunts.

Lastly, they are more ‘sirloin in the sky’, than, ribeye.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            Aren't you only allowed 2?

Gary
            3 I think is what he told me. I'd never even thought about going after them before. I've seen a bunch just haven't shot any.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
              If you only shoot at cranes, you can use lead.

I consistently kill cranes with 20ga. 2-3/4” #4 lead.

Plan on using a .410 this year on some hunts.

Lastly, they are more ‘sirloin in the sky’, than, ribeye.
              True that, unless you're on a WMA or refuge then its non toxic shot.

3 per day is the limit..

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                Hire a guide.

.....and God Bless America.
                Shooot......If we didn't have land to do it on we wouldn't be doing it. My buddy wouldn't pay $10 to take a peek up a pretty woman's skirt. He dang sure ain't paying to go hunt.

Comment

Silhouette decoys are cheap to make and work well. Sit up wind of your decoys. Or you can hide behind them, if your short like me.

Don't forget to check into what your state requires on Fed migratory for cranes. As well as bag limits, zones if any, and dates. Texas issues a free Federal Sandhill permit to go with your Texas Migratory endorsement and HIP certification. We have a 2-3 bird limit depending on what zone your in. We also have a couple of zones where it is not allowed.

Edit for those that don't know (Texas): Zone "C" is a two bird limit. Zones "A" and "B" are 3 bird limits. Know your zones!
                  Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-22-2018, 04:48 PM.

Comment

A fun, frustrating hunt all mixed into one! Like others have said, a Ribeye in the Sky. Great eating!

Comment

I hunted them with 3 1/2” 00 buck shot and had trouble bringing them down. My suggestion is 3 1/2” turkey mags and head shoot them. They are very tough to bring down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've heard they're good eatin. I've never tried it but I've always wanted to.

I have some 3" BB and 3 1/2" of assorted shot sizes. I figured the BB would be ok as long as they're fairly close.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          A buddy of mine got a wild hair I guess and wants to go hunt sandhill cranes. Which is alright by me I'll kill whatever walks,flies,swims or crawls. The problem is I don't know the first thing about huntin them and neither does he. What's the best way to go about it? I don't have any decoys and he don't either so I'm guessing about the only way to do it is sit out on a field they've been feeding on and shoot them when they fly over. I have no idea....
                          Where are y'all hunting them? I've got 5 dozen fullbodies in the Texas panhandle ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                            Where are y'all hunting them? I've got 5 dozen fullbodies in the Texas panhandle ready to go.
                            We'll probably go over in Texas county somewhere I think. I've seen a ton out on cut fields here lately. My deal is they're pretty dadgum smart. I think he's thinkin we'll just go sit out and wait for them to fly over. I'm thinkin if they see anything remotely close to us sitting out there they ain't flying over.Lol.....I could be wrong but they're definitely not dumb from what I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                              We need to get together. We can put your cranes with my 40 dozen geese and pile up the birds. Shooting should be awesome with all the ground water this year.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X