Ben Johnson’s last ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
    When I was a very young Highway Patrolman stationed in San Antonio they filmed “The Sugarland Express” there. A lot of us got to be extras in the movie and I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Mr Johnson. He was the real deal, a true cowboy and a gentleman! My career enabled me to meet a lot of famous people including actors, Texas governors, and two Presidents. Ben Johnson made a bigger impression on me than any of the others.
    Very cool. Hope you can share more about your conversation/s with Ben. Would loved to have talked with him. My dad and other relatives were from Oklahoma, but none lived near where he grew up.

If a person could go back in time, I’d like to talk cattle with Ben and also discuss life on that ranch where he once lived and worked on in Oklahoma. I’ve worked cattle on numerous ranches in TX and other states, but not in Oklahoma.

Comment

I have always been a Ben Johnson fan, good to know he was much more than a great actor.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XJhJwo4R0A8"]Ben Johnson - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

The final verse is from a lovely poem written by John Mitchum as a eulogy to Ben Johnson. My thanks to Paula V. for bringing it to my attention. And thank yo...

Comment

Thanks for posting this. Ben was one of the few.

Comment

very cool

Comment

A Great man for sure. Not many like him in films anymore.

Comment

The Sam the Lion fishing tank scene in the Last Picture Show is my favorite of all time.

In my opinion, Tarantino tips his hat to the speech in Kill Bill...

Being a fool for a woman such as yourself is always the right thing to do
                        vs

Last Picture Show...

Cause being crazy about a woman like her is always the right thing to do.

Comment

Yes, one of the last good ones!

Comment

I really liked him in The Wild Bunch and a few others. I have not seen all of his movies though. He was a great actor and from what i have read about him, a great all around person. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                              The Sam the Lion fishing tank scene in the Last Picture Show is my favorite of all time.

vs

Last Picture Show...
                              Got to thinking about how things were like back then near Pawhuska when Howard Hughes bought the horses from the ranch where Ben lived and worked. I realize the size of the ranch and number of horses available were part of it. But think of the odds of a Cowboy way out there and the timing to be the one to haul the horses to Arizona for Howard Hughes. And the fact he had what it took to be more than just a horseman behind the scenes. Amazing to consider it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post

vs

Last Picture Show...
                                Ben Johnson settled the pond/tank/lake argument. He called it a tank. That is good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X