ATV wiring ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATV wiring ?

Is this a fuse or just a convenience connector? 95% done refurbing this arctic cat. Bought a factory new wiring harness but it did not come with battery cables. The ones on the bike were jerry-rigged by someone with some kind of fuse in the place of these barrel style connectors shown on the wiring diagram. I just don’t know if I should try to source the factory-correct connector or if I can just solder the wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those shouldn’t be that hard to locate. Is it for a charger or something? Weird to have a quick connect from the factory. On our ranger we have a similar setup hooked to a solar panel.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
      Those shouldn’t be that hard to locate. Is it for a charger or something? Weird to have a quick connect from the factory. On our ranger we have a similar setup hooked to a solar panel.
      They splice back into the negative and positive wires down inside the harness. I'm gonna try autozone on the way to work tomorrow. I'm OCD about this stuff. When I restore something, I like it factory original (except paint!).

Comment

They may have had a road feeder on the ATV. If so that is where they connected the feeder controls.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
          They may have had a road feeder on the ATV. If so that is where they connected the feeder controls.
          Nah, this is a splice off the battery cables that goes back to the harness. It's on the factory wiring diagram. I was only looking for confirmation that those connectors are only connectors and not some kind of fuse.

Comment

Check to see if the red is hot when key on and off as well as check to see if the black is a ground. Looks like a convenience connection. What does the service manual tell you?

Comment

Not a fuse. I would bet it's for accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle1tx View Post
                Check to see if the red is hot when key on and off as well as check to see if the black is a ground. Looks like a convenience connection. What does the service manual tell you?
                I'm digging in to the manual now. Unfortunately I don't have a full pdf manual, only access to one on a parts dealer web site that is painfully slow today. I have to kind of guess at which file to download and look in (separated into chapters) and then it take a while to get. I'll find it before I proceed though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                  Not a fuse. I would bet it's for accessories.
                  x2

Comment

IMO soldering would be better. The more connectors you eliminate, the less problems you leave yourself down the road

Comment

Working...
                    X