Siding/construction experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Siding/construction experts

I’m starting a siding project & need some guideance.

I’m planning on installing hardi lap siding over zip system osb sheathing. I was planning on taking it down to studs, install zip panels, install hardiplank.
    After removing, aluminum siding and cedar board and batten siding, there are 5 horizontal nailing strip boards (1x3-3/4 in) for the old siding. They sandwich old tar weatherpaper to the studs and hold insulation back. Should I remove these or keep them before installing zip osb sheathing.

My concern is if I remove, the guts of wall insulation will fall out. The old tar paper weatherbarier is nasty and someone sprayed insulation through exterior wall. They drilled 2 holes and plugged them in every panal of 12in x 3/4in x 8 ft cedar plank

What say the gs? Remove horizontal nailer boards or go over them?

Go over them. Will make it simple to install the zip board. Use the tape on seams and windows.

Comment

Great thanks! Also the garage portion I am working on has 20” on center boards, do I cut panels to meet at a stud or can the join the panels wherever they might fall? I’ve marked studs and will make sure hardi will be hitting the hz nailer board at a stud

Edit: I read I need to land joints on studs. Sounds like I need to rip sheets and expect waste due to this framing job
      Last edited by Leaverrite; 02-17-2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

You can get 10' Zip Board, turn it horizontal and it will break on your studs

Comment

I would also go over the old. Break both the zip and siding on studs. Make sure to use the metal strip or black paper behind your joints on the siding.

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
            You can get 10' Zip Board, turn it horizontal and it will break on your studs
            That’s great news. I’ll try to find some for the next wall, appreciate all the pointers

Comment

Working...
            X