Collateral Damage (Hog Hunt Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collateral Damage (Hog Hunt Video)

I had been attaching the GoPro Hero2 to the feeder leg closest to the blind on the right hand side but some animals seemed reluctant to come that close. So in this video I decided to attach the GoPro to the farthest feeder leg. But when a large group of hogs came in and congregated beneath the feeder, it became a challenge to find an animal that both the GoPro and I had a clear view of, without other pigs being in the way.

After drawing back on one animal, I had to switch to a different one. What I didn't realize was there were smaller pigs behind the target pig that were blocked from my view. After my arrow passed through the intended target animal, it stuck in one of the smaller pigs. It was confusing at the time because I saw my arrow enter one animal and then "run off" with another! Collateral damage!

Even after reviewing footage from the GoPro in slow motion, it's hard to tell the path the arrow takes between the larger pig number one and smaller pig number two. I blood trailed the intended hog for over 150 yards in the dark but never found it. I believe I hit a bit too far back and low, resulting in a liver shot. There was a lot of blood, but no recovery.

I was able to recover the smaller "collateral damage" pig and my arrow the next morning in the daylight. Being a gut hit, it didn't leave any blood trail. Yet it only traveled about 45 yards.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M4fhZwFBpw"]Collateral Damage - YouTube[/ame]

Nice!

Comment

Awesome. I love seeing both angles.

Comment

well that def works

Comment

Awesome Video once again. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Pretty slick. Good job.

Comment

Great work again David. Thanks for sharing.

What are you using to attach to your feeder leg? I have been using a small bungee cord but wondered if there was something better.

Comment

I love those reverse angle videos. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Very cool video.

Comment

Nice video

Comment

Originally posted by bdphunt View Post
                      Great work again David. Thanks for sharing.

What are you using to attach to your feeder leg? I have been using a small bungee cord but wondered if there was something better.
                      Same here. I found a package of mini-bungees. They're only about 8" long before they're stretched and have little wire hooks on the end. I use two. I give each a double wrap around the feeder leg. Then I slide the "shoe" of the camera arm under the bungees so that one is above the camera arm and one is below it. When I say the "shoe," I'm talking about the piece that clips into one of the mounts with the double-sided tape on them. I put that on one of the flat surface mounts and just leave the tape backing on it. Is that pretty much what you've been doing?

Here's the next thing I'm going to try. It's just a piece of 2"x2" with a hole drilled in one end just the right size to insert an old XX78 aluminum arrow shaft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GoPro-Stand_1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	24136551

Click image for larger version

Name:	GoPro-Stand_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	24136552

Then a put a little flat spray paint on it. Used a piece of expanded metal to put somewhat of a camo pattern on the block. This should allow me to put the GoPro where I want without relying on a feeder leg, etc. Since this would be a more permanent situation, I'll probably go ahead and peel off the back of one of the flat mounts and stick it to the 2"x2" block.

I made this for hunting sort of a "stealth" hand corning location away from the feeders. But it could be used pretty much anywhere that you can get an arrow to stick in the ground.

Comment

You make great videos. Very enjoyable

Comment

Nice

Comment

Always enjoy a SL video. I agree on the low and back on the primary target.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgunguy View Post
                              Always enjoy a SL video. I agree on the low and back on the primary target.
                              Yeah, I'm afraid I might have let that little pig in front influence my shot placement.

Comment

Working...
                              X