Shot a few bows today at CCR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot a few bows today at CCR

Had a chance to stop by Cinnamon Creek Ranch and shoot some of the 2014 bows. I was a bit crunched for time or I wouldve shot more, but heres some of my .2 cents on what I shot and what surprised me. I was firing from about 5ft away from a backstop, so forgive me as I couldnt really gauge noise. All of these were bare bows with only a rest installed. These are all just my opinion, so my best advice is to go shoot one of these!

Elite Energy 35 - I went in specifically wanting to test out this bow. I love a long valley and a solid backwall, and this bow did not dissappoint. I must admit the riser does look a bit weird, but it didn't interfere with my sight picture. The draw cycle was very smooth with no noticable hump at 70lbs, with a smooth transition into the valley without dumping. I didnt notice any stacking on the draw either. Without having shot the obsession addiction or bear anarchy hc, id have to say that this thing is a long AtA shooter's dream.

PSE Full Throttle - When the bow tech handed me this bow he said to be ready for it. Personally, I didnt find the draw cycle to be that harsh. There wasnt a real big hump like my DNA had out at 30, but I was having to shoot a 29in cam as the bow has draw length specific cams, so I cant speak for 30. What I will say however is that the bow has no valley whatsoever. Youre gonna be sitting out there on the razor's edge with this rig. The back wall is pretty solid for cable stops. At the shot, the bow jumped quite a bit with a fair amount of felt hand shock, but at these speeds I expected all of this. Ive played with speed bows and they arent for me, but if you like speed then you'll prolly love it.

PSE DNA SP - I was interested to see what all changes they made to this bow. If you own a DNA, you prolly know about the draw stop adjustment to give it more valley. The bow I shot was set at 28.At the draw, this bow was noticably smoother than the original DNA. No noticable hump (but then again the orig DNA's hump was at 30) and the bow had more valley than the original. However, I dont really feel that it added anymore valley than the 2013 with the stop adjustment, so the only real difference was the draw cycle. At the shot, it felt the same to me as the 2013. Some felt handshock, with the bow kicking slightly at the shot.

Mathews Chill-R - To be quite honest, this bow shocked me the most of all. I was a bit of a scoffer at this bow prior to shooting it, as I used to own a monster 6 and was unimpressed with last year's chill. My three biggest complaints with the previous monsters have been resolved in this bow. The draw cycle was very smooth (close to the elite imo), and to my surprise it didnt dump hard into the valley like the old MR line, and the back wall wasn't solid mush either! The valley wasn't short and wasnt too long to keep you honest. The bow balanced very well, and was not top heavy which was a complaint I had with my Monster 6. At the shot there was very little felt vibration, with the bow slightly tilting back at the shot. Another nice touch was the finish. It, for lack of a better word, seemed beefier. Only complaint I have about this bow is it's speed for a 6in BH. This is a good, solid, lightweight hunting bow.

I wish I had the time to shoot new everything including the new hoyts, primes, and several other models, so I apologize in advance. Out of what I shot, I really liked the Elite, but that Chill-R was awfully close! I plan on going by an obsession dealer tomorrow, but im gonna try everything before I make a decision.

Thanks for reading!

And Fishndadio, I bet your black and tan ChillR is gonna be sweet!
    Last edited by Kirby86; 01-31-2014, 11:31 PM.

Very cool, nice write up...

Comment

Nice write up.

Comment

Nice. Let us know what you end up getting.

Comment

I was really hoping they'd have a RPM 360 but their order hadnt arrived yet. Ill keep you guys posted.

Comment

Shooting bows is always a good time. Especially a bunch of different ones. The only way to figure out what is truly right for you.

Comment

The shooting from 5 feet is a pain. The full throttle is supposed to be the real deal.

Comment

I'm a Bowtech guy but Charles at CCR talked me into shooting a Prime Alloy and Impact. Wow! Both were shooters for sure. You owe it to yourself to add those to list of bows to try in 2014.

Comment

great info, thanks

Comment

Nice review. Curious about the obsession. Let us know what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Full Throttle View Post
                      I'm a Bowtech guy but Charles at CCR talked me into shooting a Prime Alloy and Impact. Wow! Both were shooters for sure. You owe it to yourself to add those to list of bows to try in 2014.
                      I agree shoot the Prime's also, I spent 5 hours up there shooting different bows before walking out with my Elite Energy 32, but I was very impressed with the Prime's as well (plus you can't beat the lifetime warranty on strings that prime offers)

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Good info. Thanks. Get back with more.

Comment

Working...
                          X