Coppa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coppa

I pulled this Coppa that was hanging for a little over 3 months. It lost around 38% weight. It has a little case hardening but overall the taste is amazing. The black pepper really comes through and the saltiness is perfect.
    Attached Files

That looks great, Can you tell us a bit about your process? I made a Bresaola out of deer eye of round last winter and it was good but a bit too salty for most palates.

I need to cure something else soon.

Comment

Nice! Id have to pass on the rind but the meat itself looks excellent!

Comment

What exactly is Coppa? In my mind I was thinking it must be a yankee way of saying "copper."

Comment

Looks good! Can we here process? also what your curing chamber looks like how big? was it a DIY build? or did you buy one?

this may be my next burden at home haha

Comment

The key to getting the perfect saltiness is equilibrium curing. That usually means around 3% salt by weight of whatever your curing. If your really interested in curing meat i would recommend getting Stanley Marinoski "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" This book goes into great detail of how to cure meat and everything that goes into curing meat. With this Coppa I went with fresh ground black pepper and salt. Off the top of my head i think i went with 2.75% salt and .25% cure #2. It cured for 3 weeks in the fridge. After curing in the fridge i cased it in a beef bung and hung it in my chamber. Etxbuckman, the word coppa usually refers the cut of meat that is located behind the head and on top of the shoulder.

Comment

TexasTealHunter, Iv been meaning to make a post on my curing chamber but i bought a display cooler and modified it with a temp/humidity regulator. I'll do a full post on it by tomorrow. If you search my post on Pancetta or farmhouse cheddar you can see what im using.

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

Awesome thanks

Comment

pretty

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
                      TexasTealHunter, Iv been meaning to make a post on my curing chamber but i bought a display cooler and modified it with a temp/humidity regulator. I'll do a full post on it by tomorrow. If you search my post on Pancetta or farmhouse cheddar you can see what im using.
                      I'm in the process of building a meat curing chamber too.
                      Decided against the GDM route and will just use a frost-free refrigerator. Interested in seeing the specs of yours.

Comment

Looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X