No announcement yet.

Was it cold enough to gel diesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine didn't and I didn't plug it in, manual says you don't have to, can't remember exact temp but it was much colder

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
      I am not a diesel guy but I have a oil furnace at my NY hunting camp and we have concerns about the fuel oil gelling since the tank is outside. The oil co that delivers to us sells a winter blend that is 50% kerosene and 50% home heating oil( which is basically diesel fuel). That is a bit more expensive than reg home heating oil. This keeps the oil flowing in zero degree temps and burning a little cleaner. Can the diesel truck guys put 5 gallons or so of kero in the tank to help with the gelling? Or does Kero fire too hot for a engine? Just a thought. I know they sell anti gel at walmart and I have put that in the oil tank also just for precautions. Just thinking some kero in the tank would help with fuel gelling in cold temps.
      I to run a diesel furnace and after a deep drop in temperatures I would need to clean or change our filters on the furnace " it's amazing the junk that thick fuel dredges up" I did the same on all my diesel trucks and tractors cold weather just means a little bit of extra effort to make them run correctly

Comment

I started a pump on a field this morning for this weekend and it started ok. It was 0 while I was out there fooling with it. But the tank is exposed to sunlight so it might stay warmer, i don’t know. I don’t know much about diesel motors.

Comment

Plugging in the block heater will not prevent fuel gel, it will still gel in the lines on the frame etc.

If OP's truck fired right up then died out later his block heater is working fine.

Comment

Nobody mentioned water in the tank. I don't believe it was cold enough to gel the fuel but if you had a little water in the tank it could freeze that.

I don't know a thing about diesel engines really. I'm just trying to think outside the box here.

Comment

My tractor did this last hard freeze. Little Diesel 911 and it was fine once I got it flowing. Sometime if you have a priming bulb on the filter, you can prime the blockage out and get it flowing again.

Comment

I got some fuel treatment and got it started again with the same result. I am going to get a new fuel filter and try again.

Comment

Do all Ford Powerstroke 7.3s have plug ins ? My buddy told me once about it but neither he or I could find one on my 2002 model.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                    Do all Ford Powerstroke 7.3s have plug ins ? My buddy told me once about it but neither he or I could find one on my 2002 model.

Seems like it was an option at one time but unless the truck was a special order I'm sure it came with one

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                      I would assume they all did. I would be surprised if it didn't. Mine come down on the frame on the driver's side

Comment

mine started no problem

Comment

Mine started up fine this morning. I did have an issue at New Years while I was in Lubbock. After my truck sitting for 2 days and it being 8 degrees it wouldn't fire. Added a bottle of diesel 911 and it fired up after about 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

my 2006 f250 started at about 12 deg just turned the key on twice until glow plug light turned off Don't think mine has a block heater if it does I cant find it.
                            I bet it had a little water in filter they have a relay that's turns on the glow plugs when that goes out my 7.3 would not start unless you used a little starter fluid

Comment

I plugged in my 2006 6.0 last night, no issues this morning. Edge said 100 deg, ran fine. The glow plugs have a lot to do with it as well.

Comment

Was it cold enough to gel diesel?

Mine didn’t gel when it was -3° wind chill at New Year’s weekend.

To my knowledge the block heater does nothing to keep fuel from gelling. All it does is keep the coolant temp at 90-100° to keep from losing a freeze plug or a block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                Last edited by Mike D; 01-17-2018, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X