No announcement yet.

Possibly moving to Arkansas....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grew up there but you couldn't pay me to move back unless it was in north or west central Arkansas. I grew up in extreme SA (South Arkansas) and while I love to go back to hunt, I wouldn't live there.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      I have an Arkansas question....

If a married couple from Arkansas gets a divorce, are they still brother and sister?

I don't know, but I bet Christmas is awkward.

Have some friend that live in Russellville and its a nice town, but I couldn't live that far from the salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Statton48 View Post
        Taxes are way better than Texas. Deer season last longer. Opportunity to hunt bear. People are friendly, usually. Awesome goose and duck hunting. Good trout fishing. Ummm that's all I can think of right now
        Property tax may be less but AR has state income tax - TX doesn't.

Comment

Been here for almost 7 years now. As others have stated, great place for outdoorsman. I live in the NW corner of the state, economy is better due to Tyson, Sams, Hunt brothers and several other having headquarters here. some parts of the state you can here the Banjo's pretty clearly. Area you are talking about should not be bad depending on where you are. Was a good move for the family.
          I grew up in TX, lived several years in KS, a couple in OH, back to TX, now in AR. Will always be a TEXAN no matter where I live. Arkansas has good deer, decent turkey, bear, where you would be, probably some dove, hogs (Da*$ U of A fans and the feral kind.) Good fishing (bass, crappie, striper, walleye, catfish, trout, etc).

For my career and family it is most definitely the best choice. BUT If I won the lottery tomorrow I would:
          1) Buy a place and move to someplace with 100 miles of College Station (maybe Brenham, etc??)
          2) Buy some land to deer hunt in KS, spend good chunk of winter chasing pheasant, quail, and bow hunting.

You can do a LOT worse than what you are thinking about doing, even in the great state of TX.

I boils down to what is best for you, your family, and your career......

Comment

I was in Arkansas for about 10 years. I was in the NW corner as well. Lower taxes, but you pay property tax every year so it works out to be more up there, at least for me. Hunting season lasts a tiny bit longer for bow and shorter for gun. Duck and goose hunting are better but thats about it. Hunting land is free up there, you can get a lease but there is so much public land its not even remotely necessary to pay for a lease. Not a lot to do other than the outdoors. Lots of drugs, likelihood of your kids having kids before the age of 18 probably doubles. Meth usage is out of control in most of the state. Education system is terrible, Texas rated 12th, Arkansas rated 44th.

Overall its going to depend on your job, your exact location, and what sacrifices you are willing to make for the few positives. I can tell you I wouldn't move back to Arkansas for a million dollars in my pocket.

Comment

What city would you live in if you took the job? Half of the state is an hour from hot springs.

Comment

I used to live outside of Conway over closer to Heber Springs. I loved it. There was plenty to do! You were never more than an hour away from awesome duck hunting and awesome fishing. There's also parts of the state that hold some really big deer. Stay away from Little Rock and Pine Bluff, especially after dark, but outside of that its a great place to live.

Comment

Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
                  I don't know, but I bet Christmas is awkward.

Yeah, I didn't think about that.

Comment

I agree about pine bluff but there a lot of nice areas in little rock.

Comment

Possibly moving to Arkansas....

HUNTING. The opportunities are almost limitless. Not just deer and bear. Awesome fishing! There are huntable elk populations and come on......it's the duck hunting capital of the world. I go back every chance I get. My brother loved it so much he is moving back next month (we all went to school there)

Comment

I lived in Fayetteville for school and loved it. My parents are from Fort smith, and we would go up there a few times a year. I could see myself living int the NWA, but not really fort smith. I have a lease near magnolia, arkansas close to Texarkana, and while I like the lease I cant really envision living around there.

Comment

Location would be around sheridan, pine bluff, malvern area so sough central Ar. Thanks alot for the replies.

Comment

I always thought Sheridan was decent, we had a lease in the saline river bottoms outside leola. In that area I'd also lol around the arkadelphia area.

Comment

Grew up in Malvern and moved down here 35 years ago for a forestry job. Mother still lives there. Property taxes are light but there is that state tax. My dream is to retire on Lake Ouachita. Sheridan has really grown and Pine Bluff is spreading out. Malvern may be smaller. Hunting and fishing everywhere. Once a Hog, always a Hog.

Comment

Originally posted by eagles405 View Post
                                Location would be around sheridan, pine bluff, malvern area so sough central Ar. Thanks alot for the replies.
                                sheridan and malvern are okay. stay out of crime bluff as the locals I know call it.

Comment

Working...
                                X