Skeet Shooting Etiquette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skeet Shooting Etiquette?

Just purchased a new shotgun. Browning Maxus Sporting Carbon. I brought it to the skeet range to get a feel for her and everyone was shooting an O/U. I followed all range rules and picked up all shells ejected however still got some questionable looks from people. Am I missing something? Is it not customary to bring an autoloader to a trap and skeet shoot? Any other rules I should remember for next time?

The looks will get worse when you beat em too, just sayin

Comment

Stuck up skeeters!!! LOL!
      Have fun with the auto & don't worry about them. I shoot an auto for competition too.

Comment

It's just easier to see from a distance when a double barrel is safe (when it's broken open. Semi-autos are the hardest to "trust" from a distance.

Also, they're not nearly as cool and awesome as a good o/u.

Have fun shooting whatever you're shooting!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          It's just easier to see from a distance when a double barrel is safe (when it's broken open. Semi-autos are the hardest to "trust" from a distance.

Also, they're not nearly as cool and awesome as a good o/u.

Have fun shooting whatever you're shooting!
          I agree with Shane. Most likely it was just them not knowing if your gun was loaded or not, especially if you’re not a regular.
          Keep shooting and practice safety and those looks will go away.

Comment

I've shot with an over/under, pump, and semi-auto, and I agree with the above assessment - More than likely, it's the "Is that shotgun unloaded / safe?" look that you're getting.

The other thing I've seen that gets the semi-auto some attention is someone popping off more than two rounds at a station. Multiple fast shots at a single clay or even a double might get you some attention. I always just load two shells, no matter which shotgun I'm using.

The second thing combines with the first thing. If you are shooting more than two rounds per station without reloading, they know that you are loading more than two in a semi-auto. Therefore, they will be paying attention to ensure you are unloaded after subsequent shots at different stations.

All the best,
            Glenn

Comment

It would a slight pain but you could always get an unloaded flag to put in there when you step away from a station.

Comment

Just talk to the range officer and play it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                  I've shot with an over/under, pump, and semi-auto, and I agree with the above assessment - More than likely, it's the "Is that shotgun unloaded / safe?" look that you're getting.

The other thing I've seen that gets the semi-auto some attention is someone popping off more than two rounds at a station. Multiple fast shots at a single clay or even a double might get you some attention. I always just load two shells, no matter which shotgun I'm using.

The second thing combines with the first thing. If you are shooting more than two rounds per station without reloading, they know that you are loading more than two in a semi-auto. Therefore, they will be paying attention to ensure you are unloaded after subsequent shots at different stations.

All the best,
                  Glenn
                  This, most skeet ranges only slot for two bird shots. When your shooting a semi no one knows if you have loaded two or three rounds. Just dont load more than two and make sure your action is open after every flurry and all is good. I prefer to shoot five stand, not as serious on that range etiquette wise, safety wise always.

Comment

Most ranges I have shot at had a rule that any hull touching the ground belonged to the range. Most places want you to steadily move from station to station and not stop to pick up hulls.

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
                      Most ranges I have shot at had a rule that any hull touching the ground belonged to the range. Most places want you to steadily move from station to station and not stop to pick up hulls.
                      This is likely the case...save the pick up when it's down time. Many skeet shooters want to see a rhythm with the group. Trap shooters are the worst.

If your action is back when you are not in place to shoot, you are fine. Folks can visual the action is safe.

Comment

lol i shot an even yesterday with my brother he shoots a 9k Blaser and I had my Benelli M1 with a "Meat Stick" sticker on the barrel. You get few looks that way as well. I wouldnt worry about anything.

Comment

Be safe, follow the rules, and let em look all they want. Seems like clays in general has seen a increase in pretentious high rollers.

Comment

We average 2 shoots a month. The last one was 3k for a 4 man team (free for us). I see just as many autos as o/u.

sometimes even the o/u don't pick hulls or throw them in the bucket. Wait for the 5 digit gun guy blows a station and see what happens to his hulls.

Most times trappers police the hulls and how many shells you load

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                              I agree with Shane. Most likely it was just them not knowing if your gun was loaded or not, especially if you’re not a regular.
                              Keep shooting and practice safety and those looks will go away.
                              I will stick an empty shell sideways in the receiver. This way a bright color is there and shows other it's safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X