Age Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age Please

When I first saw this deer I thought it to be fairly young, maybe 3-4, but I have had some second opinions from more experienced hunters that say he's old, more like 7. What do you all think?
    Attached Files

Old buck got any better pics? Don't like aging with closeup pics. He's older than 7 for sure
    Last edited by RMW; 09-05-2017, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately I do not. Every photo I have is up close, most deer have been coming in from the far side, but he comes in from behind the camera and essentially eats right in front of it, and then leaves the same way. I have a ton of photos of him, but they are all close ups. My other camera got some photos of him too but they are all at night and for whatever reason blurry.

Comment

I know the cow in the background looks like a moose. I'd say post mature on the buck.

Comment

Can any of you please tell me what in the above pic tells you that he is an old deer. I am just asking to learn. I posted a pick a few weeks back of a deer that looks similar to me and most said he was too young. Please educate me.

Here is the pic of deer many said was young

Comment

IMO really old deer are sometimes hard to age. As they decline they start to look like a younger deer again. Some of the telltale signs of an older deer would be pot-bellied, short legs, sagging back,neck blends into chest almost seamlessly, sagging brisket, roman-nosed and more white hair on the face/ears. They may not have as many of these characteristics as they get well past their prime and their teeth wear out to the point that they aren't getting the nutrition that they used to.

I'm not convinced that this deer is old, though.

Comment

Thanks rattler. I don't see any of the signs you listed on either deer. So I guess one could conclude that they are really old or young.

Comment

Post mature buck to me in that one close up pic.

Comment

Could be old or maybe sick

Comment

Very interesting

Comment

I like 7.5 on this deer maybe older

Comment

The more and more I look at it I see a very old deer. Just wanted to make sure before he got placed on the hit list.

Comment

Working...
                        X