Is this deer as young as I think it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this deer as young as I think it is?

To me this deer is 2. Guys on my lease are saying 3 and 4, but I just don't see it. What do yall think? In three years i think he could be something.
    Attached Files

LOL...that boars booting him out

Comment

I would lean toward 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
        I would lean toward 3.
        What makes you lean toward 3? Not disagreeing just want to know what I'm missing. I see 2 from the long legs straight back and no muscle tone or belly.

Comment

2.5...he is still afraid of pigs. 4 y/o would bristle up to them.

Comment

I don't see him being any older than 2 either. If he's 3+ he sure didn't eat well this summer....

Comment

Lol that pig would run 4 6 year olds out of that pen. definitely not 4yo, and a heck of a young buck.

Comment

Got a few more pics?

Comment

He's either a nice 2 year old - or a decent 3 year old. Either way - I wouldn't shoot him this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustinb09 View Post
                    What makes you lean toward 3? Not disagreeing just want to know what I'm missing. I see 2 from the long legs straight back and no muscle tone or belly.
                    I too would say 3 or possibly even 4, but would need to know more details about the ranch. Is it low fence free ranging whitetails, high fence with improved genetics etc. Is it managed with protein fed spring through summer? Those things can alter the appearance of deer and throw aging way off.

I hunted Del Rio/ Rocksprings/Bracketville area for 20 years and never seen a 2 year old with head gear like that on a low fence native deer. You can pretty much throw the general guidelines of aging a deer out the window when aging some of those deer due to the terrain they are located in. He does look long and lean, but go walk around a couple of miles in the heat in that country every day and we would all get lean. Lol. I based my 3-4 year old guess based on his thick brisket area and his head is just beginning to get that blocky triangular look making his nose look a little shorter.

Comment

That deer is practically still nursing. I think he's a 2 year old right now. Long skinny legs. Doe like face and neck features. Still skinny body. Yeah, I think he's a 2 year old and will be a freaking giant if you guys let him get old.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                        I too would say 3 or possibly even 4, but would need to know more details about the ranch. Is it low fence free ranging whitetails, high fence with improved genetics etc. Is it managed with protein fed spring through summer? Those things can alter the appearance of deer and throw aging way off.

I hunted Del Rio/ Rocksprings/Bracketville area for 20 years and never seen a 2 year old with head gear like that on a low fence native deer. You can pretty much throw the general guidelines of aging a deer out the window when aging some of those deer due to the terrain they are located in. He does look long and lean, but go walk around a couple of miles in the heat in that country every day and we would all get lean. Lol. I based my 3-4 year old guess based on his thick brisket area and his head is just beginning to get that blocky triangular look making his nose look a little shorter.
                        This is our first year on the place. It is low fence and no protein.

Comment

Im saying that he is 2, young buck for sure. He will be a stud in a few years!

Comment

I vote 3 year old

Comment

3 or 4 for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X