Question About Deer Tags And Unrecovered Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About Deer Tags And Unrecovered Deer

I just thought of a hypothetical situation, and I am wondering if anyone knows what the official rules are in the event I ever run into it. I don't know how to write that out without sounding like it actually happened. HA! Maybe I could pose the question for a friend...

Let's say I shot a deer, and it ran across a boundary fence line. If the neighbor and I aren't on the best terms, and they don't allow me to search for the deer on their property, do I have to fill out a tag for said deer or could I use it for another?

I'm not asking for moral advice or what you would do in the situation. I'm just curious to know how that scenario would play out.

I would think that if you don’t recover the deer, how could you tag it.

Comment

Great question. Think if it this way, you are driving down the interstate and realize you are driving faster than the posted speed limit. Or you going to drive to DPS HQ and let them know so they can write you a ticket?

Basically no cop arou d that stopped you equals no ticket, and the same, no recovered deer equals no tag.

Prob not the best scenario, but I just woke up from a nap.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

If I didn't recover it... It ain't getting "tagged"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure but if someone found the deer on their property in a easy to spot area and decided to call a GW, I think there may be a question as to why there wasn't an effort made to find it. Now if the person shot the deer was told no to searching for it, I would think the best action would be to call a GW and tell them the situation. This way said person is covering their ***. My thought, what I'd do.

Comment

Tags go with meat... If no meat, no tag

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Tags go with meat... If no meat, no tag

Then, after the season, if tag is still left over, frame it along with a trailcam pic of deer if known and call it the One That Got Away.

Comment

I kind of had the same situation. Years ago I shot a deer and tracked it for about 500 yards and lost all sign. I made a reasonable effort with others helping that afternoon and the hole next day. Two days later the sun was just about set and found the deer about 30 yards from our camp with the arrow knock blinking in the woods. That deer ran about 1500 yards. The meat was spoiled and critters had already been eating on it. It sucked I felt real bad about. I did not tag it because I felt I made a good effort to find it and I did not get any meat out of it. Things happen.

Comment

You can't tag a deer if you don't recover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

you dont know if that deer died until you put your hands on it IMO

Comment

You eat the tag

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
                        If I didn't recover it... It ain't getting "tagged"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        This

Comment

I'd count it as my buck and not shoot another one. Burn the tag and do better next time. Just my .02.

Comment

No deer no tag. Very simple.

Comment

Here's what the Parks and Wildlife website says:

After a deer or pronghorn antelope is killed and before the deer is field dressed or moved, the appropriate hunting license tag or permit (MLDP, etc.) must be immediately filled out and dates cut out.

Additionally, if a hunting license tag is used, then the Hunting License Harvest Log (White-tailed deer only) must be legibly completed.

A hunter may transport a deer or pronghorn antelope to a final destination, provided it is tagged and proof of sex accompanies the deer or pronghorn antelope.

Comment

Working...
                              X