What is "fair Chase hunting" to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is "fair Chase hunting" to you?

What do you think qualifies as fair chase hunting?

I think no blinds, no feeders, no high fence, and an iron sighted rifle qualifies. Any more than that I don't know if it is fair anymore. Bows, even crossbows I would also consider fair. I also don't think that you have to hunt bare handed in a loin cloth for fairness haha

That said I hunt out of blinds, with scoped rifles, on a high fence places, over feeders so don't think I am trying to point fingers or spout righteousness, but it sure don't seem fair, not that I mind it

So when do you think the scales too from hunting to killing?

If you're paying for my hunt.....its fair.

If I am paying for it.....I'll hunt how it want.

Comment

For me the scales tip when the animal has little-to-no fear of man. (thus, there is no "chase"). An extreme example is a place where you pick your animal off a menu, settle on a price then drive around until you see it, roll down the window and "BOOM". I am not condemning it - as long as it's legal it's fine by me. It's not hunting by my definition - but then again - my definition only applies to me. I'm not so worried about "fair" as I am getting an experience I find enjoyable and satisfying.
      Last edited by jerp; 08-23-2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

If hunting was fair, all predators would starve to death.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
          Wow, never heard it put like that before, and it makes total sense.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            For me the scales tip when the animal has little-to-no fear of man. (thus, there is no "chase").[/I]
            I agree with this.

I hunt high fence every year and the deer are very wary of people and vehicles so I consider that fair. It’s not “free range” but it’s fair

Comment

Fair is fair.

Comment

[ATTACH]921376[/ATTACH]

Comment

Atlatl or get out...

Comment

I'd agree that it's more of the state of mind of the animal than it is about fences, weaponry, etc.

You can have a low-fence place (like mine) where the deer are extremely dependent on feeders and will hit it within a couple of minutes of it going off. Can shoot one and the noise startles them off and then they're back, sometimes eating around the dead animal, withing 5-10 minutes. Can walk right up on them and they don't run.

You can also have a HF place that's 2000 acres of heavy brush where the deer are still very much wild and difficult to find as they haven't been seasoned to people, feeders, etc.

Comment

Fair comes once a year....we are still about 5 weeks away!

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

100%

Comment

Fair Chase is simple. If the animal has as much of a chance to move on and never be seen again by you because you blew your only chance then it was a fair chase. You lost the animal won.

Comment

No such thing as fair chase. Well, unless the animals can shoot back!

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                              100%
                              HF fan

Comment

Working...
                              X