Successful TPWD Draw Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successful TPWD Draw Hunt

My Dad, two friends and I got drawn for an archery hunt this year. This is the 5th time I have been drawn for any hunt and 3rd archery hunt while I have put in for 15 years now. We were excited about the hunt, hoped that we would see lots of game and possibly have some chances. As the week drew near, it looked more and more like we might have a difficult hunt. The moon phase was ok, but the acorns were falling in full force and the temperatures were very hot.

The first day we all set up our popups the best we could without cutting brush as they had asked.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_other_view.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	25099964

Within hours, during the first hunt I had a 4pt standing at 10 yards eating in my throw corn. However, that was all I saw that evening.

Name:	rsz_11st_evening.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	25099965

My Dad had a great first hunt. He saw 3 shooters and took a nice management type 8pt that they aged at 5.5.

Name:	Dad 8pt.jpg
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	25099961

The next morning I got skunked and no one else saw much. The second evening my Dad suggested I go to his spot to look for one of the shooters he saw, so we swapped areas.

My hunted started out poorly. At 7:00pm I had reached my 8th hour of hunting that day without seeing a hair one.

Name:	rsz_view_from_killing_blind.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	25099962

At 7:05 however that all changed. First a wide 6pt with no brows steps out. He is broadside and at 18 yards so I go to draw on him. Just as I raise my bow, there is crashing in the brush beyond him and he turns to see, no shot. Then a clean spike walks out with 12-15" spikes. I now decided to make that my target buck. He fed in my throw corn at 30 and then again at 27, but never gave a good shot. Finally a huge bodied freak buck comes rolling out of the brush. This buck has twice the body of the other 2 and awesome antlers. I decide he is the one I want! As soon as he walks up, the 3.5 year old 6 lowers his head and runs him smooth out of there, so I set my sights back on the long spike. This is all happening at last light and by now it is getting borderline to take a longer shot. All of a sudden, I hear branches snap right next to my blind and something is approaching from the trail just in front of my blind (the way the freak had run off). As soon as I heard the noise I drew my bow, because I knew it would be close. He showed in front of me and I soon as I saw the freaky antlers I settled my pin and shot. The shot was less than 5 steps away, I knew I couldn't mess that up even in low light. The buck ran about 20 yards, fell over and took his last breath in a matter of seconds.

Name:	rsz_buck.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	25099966

Name:	rsz_ldp (1).jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	25099963

I wasn't even real sure what I had shot. I just knew he was legal for me to shoot, very funky and in full velvet. When I walked up on him I was totally impressed and only then did I start to get very excited. This buck was truely a once in a lifetime trophy and only adds to my season of FREAKS! The biologist who has worked there for 16 years, said my buck was the largest bodied buck ever brought in.

The rest of the hunt finished pretty slow other than my buddy George shooting the nice wide mgmt 6pt I had seen. All in all we had a great time and went home with more than we had hoped for.

Nice! Congratulations on a successful hunt! That freak buck is cool!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice. That would make a cool Euro mount.

Comment

Originally posted by Oz_Ag View Post
        My Dad, two friends and I got drawn for an archery hunt this year. This is the 5th time I have been drawn for any hunt and 3rd archery hunt while I have put in for 15 years now. We were excited about the hunt, hoped that we would see lots of game and possibly have some chances. As the week drew near, it looked more and more like we might have a difficult hunt. The moon phase was ok, but the acorns were falling in full force and the temperatures were very hot.

The first day we all set up our popups the best we could without cutting brush as they had asked.
        [ATTACH]822699[/ATTACH]

Within hours, during the first hunt I had a 4pt standing at 10 yards eating in my throw corn. However, that was all I saw that evening.
        [ATTACH]822700[/ATTACH]

My Dad had a great first hunt. He saw 3 shooters and took a nice management type 8pt that they aged at 5.5.
        [ATTACH]822695[/ATTACH]

The next morning I got skunked and no one else saw much. The second evening my Dad suggested I go to his spot to look for one of the shooters he saw, so we swapped areas.

My hunted started out poorly. At 7:00pm I had reached my 8th hour of hunting that day without seeing a hair one.
        [ATTACH]822696[/ATTACH]

At 7:05 however that all changed. First a wide 6pt with no brows steps out. He is broadside and at 18 yards so I go to draw on him. Just as I raise my bow, there is crashing in the brush beyond him and he turns to see, no shot. Then a clean spike walks out with 12-15" spikes. I now decided to make that my target buck. He fed in my throw corn at 30 and then again at 27, but never gave a good shot. Finally a huge bodied freak buck comes rolling out of the brush. This buck has twice the body of the other 2 and awesome antlers. I decide he is the one I want! As soon as he walks up, the 3.5 year old 6 lowers his head and runs him smooth out of there, so I set my sights back on the long spike. This is all happening at last light and by now it is getting borderline to take a longer shot. All of a sudden, I hear branches snap right next to my blind and something is approaching from the trail just in front of my blind (the way the freak had run off). As soon as I heard the noise I drew my bow, because I knew it would be close. He showed in front of me and I soon as I saw the freaky antlers I settled my pin and shot. The shot was less than 5 steps away, I knew I couldn't mess that up even in low light. The buck ran about 20 yards, fell over and took his last breath in a matter of seconds.
        [ATTACH]822702[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH]822698[/ATTACH]

I wasn't even real sure what I had shot. I just knew he was legal for me to shoot, very funky and in full velvet. When I walked up on him I was totally impressed and only then did I start to get very excited. This buck was truely a once in a lifetime trophy and only adds to my season of FREAKS! The biologist who has worked there for 16 years, said my buck was the largest bodied buck ever brought in.

The rest of the hunt finished pretty slow other than my buddy George shooting the nice wide mgmt 6pt I had seen. All in all we had a great time and went home with more than we had hoped for.
        Which TPWD Archery Hunt property was this?

Comment

congrats!!!! Love those character bucks

Comment

wow!!!! Awesome

Can you explain what website and how to sign up?

Been wanting to do it

Comment

Congrats to ya'll!

Comment

Originally posted by cleanair0 View Post
                Which TPWD Archery Hunt property was this?
                Think he left that out on purpose

Comment

Awesome looking deer!!!!

Comment

Cool deer, congrats on the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      wow!!!! Awesome

Can you explain what website and how to sign up?

Been wanting to do it
                      The deadline for most has passed so you will have to wait for next year. There are a few left they havent drawn for yet tho.

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great recap! Congrats!

Comment

Very cool. Congrats again Jeff.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X