16-17 Childress/Cottle/Hardeman/Foard Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16-17 Childress/Cottle/Hardeman/Foard Thread

Sorry ultralite09, I had to get this one going. As the season is getting closer and im sure folks are starting to check cameras, get their spots ready to go, wanted to get the thread going again.

I always enjoying checking this every few days and hearing what's going on in the area. We are on a new lease so excited about the new year. Brother and I are heading up there this weekend (just east of Childress south of 287) to get our first look at the game cameras and do some work. Im sure things are grown up like crazy with the rain back in June so im sure we will have plenty to do.

From Ultra last year:
    Like all the other threads, post up if you're in the area and use this as a place to share trail cam pics, rut activity, etc. Heck even just a place to be able to see if anyone wants to grab a beer or needs help with anything.
    Last edited by tdhadley10; 07-21-2016, 09:35 AM. Reason: better visability of title

I'll be at my place in Quanah from tomorrow afternoon until Sunday. I haven't been up since opening day of turkey season. Life has just been too busy. I'm really looking forward to this trip despite the heat.

Comment

Oh man been looking forward to this thread starting again. Me and a buddy who is here on TBH just got a place in Goodlett last spring. We have been getting stuff ready and have high hopes with what we are seeing so far on TCs.

Comment

I have a couple new feeders that I need to replace, have not had a chance to go up there yet this year. Can't wait to head up there

Comment

Watch for Africanized honey bees in the quanah area. Had to have the fire dept come out and spray the hive at my camp. They are real aggressive, I got stung twice. Fire dept pretty much confirmed they were that species due to circumstances .

Comment

I saw that killer bees movie when I was a kid. I don't want no part of that.

The rattle snakes are bad enough. The guy at the General Store in Quanah was telling my buddy that they don't rattle a lot of the time anymore, because of the hogs killing them. I guess they have learned not to rattle, so they can't find them as easy. I know we have seen enough rattle snakes this year that we wear snake boots or gators most of the time walking around in the tall grass.

Comment

Brother and I spent the weekend out at the lease (just east of Childress) and got a lot done. About fell over a few times from the heat but managed to get enough done to make us happy. All feeders and up and running, got a feeder pen built around a new gravity feeder, a few stands set up, and even had some time to drop a pig Saturday night.

Had a lot of action on the few game cams we had set up, unfortunately half of it was cows, hence the feeder pens. Had quite a bit of pig and a ton of turkeys, which will be a new adventure for us this year. Did have quite a few deer but really only in late may and early june. not much since mid June, im sure just from the heat and so much natural food right now. But its definitely drying out and hope to see some more.

Did have this guy coming in mid June. Looks like he could be really nice, with really nice BTs starting off. Looks like he could finish out a 10pt but will have to wait and see. Might be a year too early but will have to see when we see some more of him.

Comment

Thanks for starting the thread. I really like that country up there. We're in Foard co., just south of Crowell. Just now getting our numbers back up from drought. Anxiously awaiting a lease trip! Last trip was late May, put a cam on a new feeder set up. Dealing w cows for first time in 3 yrs on place so had to build some pens. Looking forward to a great season. Lots of good info from last years thread. Thanks again. Hopefully i can post some pics of some nice bucks when we go back next month.

Comment

Just curious about food plots in that area. Wanting to try putting something out, mainly like a killing plot, or holding spot. Small, like 1/4 to 1/2 ac in a few areas. Anyone have any luck w plots? Im not sure what the soil is like there, ph etc. Since the area got good Spring rains, the ground may be ok this year, hoping for Fall rains as well! If any experience, advice welcomed. Type, or mixtures, use of lime and fertilizer etc. All I see there is wheat, wondering if something diff might get their attention. Im not against wheat or oats, just willing to try something that will work well in that area. (Foard co., Crowell area). Thanks.

Comment

I'll thought you lost your place??
                    Should be some good horns again with some timely early rains. Would love to see a repeat of last year for me! Good luck to all!

Comment

Yes and no. Lol
                      We have a place w one landowner, then 2 smaller leases from someone else. The 2 small ones (106 & 110 ac) places are in negotiations. We have already secured the 320 ac place, which is most important since camp is there. Actually, its our only place to have a camp, other places are unaccessable when it rains due to bad roads. Plus being smaller it would be hard to set up a camp.

Comment

In

I got on the lease with Dan(ulatralite09) we are heading up Friday evening to set up feeders, cams and blinds. Looking forward to this season!!

Comment

Glad to see this thread! Thanks for starting it up, I can count the number of times I've been on TBH in the past 3 months on one hand haha life has been crazy but shake n bake and I are headed up for a quick trip this weekend.

Ready for this season to start and looking forward to checking my cameras

Comment

Y'all need to post up some TC pics since I have not been able to make it out there yet

Comment

TD... please add Wilbarger county to this thread. Not many of us from there. I think me and mjhaverkamp are the only two that hunt Wilbarger.
                              Been out twice so far. We have lots of water, grass and quail. Expecting a good season even though there are no deer in the area!
                              Thanks for putting it up again.

Comment

Working...
                              X