James & J-Bone WY Pronghorn Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James & J-Bone WY Pronghorn Hunt

I’ve been wanting to hunt Pronghorn in Wyoming for a while so earlier in the year I called Justin. We agreed that this would be a good year so we did some research and put in for a couple units. We didn’t draw our first choice unit but were able to draw our second choice unit which was a zero point 100% draw unit.

After looking at maps, networking with the local game warden in the off-season hunting season was finally here. We couldn’t miss opening weekend of whitetail season so spent the weekend at the deer lease with no success and started making the 18 hour drive to WY. As we started getting closer and closer we were seeing pronghorn in the panhandle and NM getting very excited.

We arrived to our hunting unit around 830am opening morning and began going to all the spots we mapped out this summer. We quickly learned the frustrations of public land hunting with guys in orange everywhere we wanted to go. We were cutoff by other hunters everywhere we went so decided to do a 5 mile hike in a remote area we didn’t think anyone would walk to. Sure enough we didn’t see any hunters but we also didn’t see much wildlife. We found one nice solo buck but were not able to connect with him and hiked back to the truck. The unit was covered up in Pronghorn but they were all on private land, crazy how they just know.

At the end of day one we reviewed our maps and came up with a plan for the morning. Plan A didn’t work with hunters cutting us off so we moved to another area. I spotted a nice buck with two does and we hiked to a ridge where we thought he would feed to that would give us a nice vantage point. It was the perfect stalk, I belly crawled to the top with Justin on the range finder behind me. He whispered 298 yards so I adjusted the scope took a deep breath and sent one. Justin immediately says “hard hit” watching him in binocs. He went 15 yards and piled up in front us. I jump up fist pumping and yelling to have Justin tackle me with excitement. He was a true stud and bigger than anything I expected from a zero point unit with limited public land access. We soaked it all in and took some pictures and packed him out.

The monkey was off our back so after a quick lunch we headed back out to find Justin one. We did some good hiking way away from everyone else and found two young bucks that Justin decided to pass. After that hike we decided to move to a different area that we haven’t been to yet and Justin spotted a good heard about 1/2 a mile from the county road in public land. We got a plan together and hiked around them towards where they were feeding. At this point we were pretty worn out walking through water where Justin even fell in a deep hole. Soaked up to his waist we finally got to the ridge we wanted to be at. The plan worked perfectly and the buck and group of does were all broadsides at 250 yards. Justin fired and dropped him in his tracks! I returned the Favor and tackled him with excitement before he could get up.

We went from a lot of confidence to little confidence with public land frustrations to doubling up and tagging out Day 2. We took some pics and packed his goat out. Tuesday night we filled our bellies with fresh victory back strap and celebration beers.

Lots of miles in the truck and lots of miles on the boots but got it done. Wyoming has been great, the people have been really nice and such a beautiful state. We’re all public land owners, get out there and just do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up! Congrats again!

Comment

Thought you two would still be drunk after that awesome hunt. Way to go boys! See you at the lease this weekend, huh?

Comment

Congrats to both of you guys. Great goats.

Comment

Good stuff! Congrats

Comment

congrats...

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Awesome!!!

Congrats to you both.....
                Last edited by Bone Thug; 10-03-2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
                  Thought you two would still be drunk after that awesome hunt. Way to go boys! See you at the lease this weekend, huh?

Might get a wild hair and make the evening hunt tomorrow [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great story and great animals. Congrats!

Comment

Huge congrats! That’s how you do it!

Comment

Congrats again fellas. Can’t wait to hear more about it at the lease. Safe travels home.

Comment

Great pics and loved hearing the success! Good luck on the rest of the trip....and be safe on the drive home. Mom loves you both!

Comment

Excellent. I enjoy the pronghorn hunts in Wyoming. Keep buying points and in a few years you will be able to go anywhere in the state. There are some hidden zero point gens up there. I'll trade unit information with you if you'll pm me.

Comment

Good stuff buddy.. Now its ELK TIME!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X