Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 257 View Post
    Jucy Juice cherry juce, 8oz a day, eliminated mine
    it has to be "No Sugar added" cherry juice. Most juices have apple juice added to make them sweet.

Comment

We sound exactly alike. Been battling it for years. It's put me on crutches a few times. Ill get it from my toes, up through my ankle into my knee joints. Sometimes one or the other, somtimes all 3 places. My whole family has it as well. My brother tends to get it in his hands and elbows.

I now take allopurinol daily as well for maintenance and colcrys for flare ups.

My biggest trigger is catfish from dirty water and blue crab. Fish from clear water does not bother me.

Very red meats bother me as well. (Venison, buffalo, elk, axis etc etc )

I cannot eat processed meat of any kind. I rarely drink so no problems there.

Cannot eat jerky unless its been cooked rather than dried or dehydrated.

I have learned to eat only fresh foods and I cook any red meat I eat very well done. Except for steaks I refuse to over cook them. Sometimes gout is worth it

I have also learned that if i am working out and losing weigh I will get flareups regardless of what I eat.

I was having flareups every 3-5 days for several years. Mine was so bad I have some joint dis-figuration in my toes. Allopurinol made my flareups worse so I couldn't take it.

My endocrinologist and I put a game plan together to get it under control.
      I finally went about 180 days only eating vegetables and grilled chicken, then I was able to start allopurinol.

Been under control since maybe a slight flare up every 3-4 months.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
        it has to be "No Sugar added" cherry juice. Most juices have apple juice added to make them sweet.
        so will Cranberry juice do the same? Have heard it was good for the kidneys and stones/urinary infections.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
          so will Cranberry juice do the same? Have heard it was good for the kidneys and stones/urinary infections.
          Yes, find unsweetened cherry, cranberry juices. Also unsweetened Tart Cherry juice, Celery, cucumber, Ginger, beet root also help.

mix baking soda or apple cider vinegar with water and drink in the mornings (before breakfast) these make your body more Alkaline which causes in dissolving of Uric Acid in the body.
          Have your kidneys and liver functions checked.

Comment

Heck ask your doctor about Uloric , I take one pill a day

Comment

by the way,
              I make ettoufee with only chicken breast and brown rice and all the vegetables (peppers, celery, onions, leek, parsley, cilantro, thyme, and Cajun seasoning (no fish, no shrimp, no sausage and no broth) it sounds bad, but it's still pretty good and fills me up,,,,
              Just in case some of you are in the same boat as I am with food.
              Last edited by ATI; 01-23-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I had it for the first time a few months ago at the ripe old age of 41. It was in the joint of my right big toe and I was ready to cut it off!

I was able to get it to go down in a few days with only ibuprofen and rest. I also ate clean during the flare up. I felt it coming on again a couple of weeks ago and hurriedly cleaned up my diet again (I had eaten a couple bags of store bought jerky and I think that triggered it). I haven’t (knock on wood) had another episode in awhile.

And I agree... it sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I take Wild cherry extract everyday and have been without flare ups as long as I remember to take.

Comment

Ditto on Tart cherry. I take capsules everyday Plus drink the juice. Gout is the devil but haven't had a flareup in several years since including the cherry

Comment

Drink a bottle of RW Knudsen Just Black Cherry Juice.

Comment

I had it bad-knees and ankles. I had a bad sprained ankle once and thought this was a lingering result. Turned out to be gout. The mistake was I ended up at a regular doctor during a flare up so bad I could not walk. My knee looked like a basketball and was red and hot. He gave me allopurinol during the flare up which apparently is really bad ju ju. I thought I was going to die. When I finally met with the rheumatologist he said you should never start allopurinol during a flare up as it throws your liver out of kilter. I had to wait till the flare up passed then restart. I get a bit sore in a couple of my fingers and my thumb from time to time, but not certain it is gout, more likely just old age arthritis. I was in my late 30s when I got on the allopurinol.

Comment

I get mild cases in my neck. I get the bad cases in my ankle. When that happens, I can't walk for several days. My last major case was several years ago after I ate shrimp for three days straight. I also drink the cherry juice but also drink apple cider vinegar.

Comment

OP....can you take a higher mg of Allopurinol? I am on it and was originally prescribed 100mg...I take 300mg now. No issues.

Comment

I have horrible gout in my toes, too of my feet, knees (the worst), and my elbow once. I take 350 mg of Allpurinol a day and have controlled it very well the last 3 years.

Comment

Prednisone tablets was the best cure for me when I used to get gout attacks. Kept a prescription with me at all times and it would knock out attack in two days. Haven't had an attack in a long time since taking 300 mg of allopurinol a day. It is a horrible condition to deal with. The pain is terrible. With the proper meds I got it under control and I don't have to worry about what I eat.

Comment

Working...
                                X