Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard are your deer hitting the protein so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never has slowed on our place. Planted food plots this year so it will be interesting to see if that slows them down.
    Last edited by drslonghorn; 05-04-2015, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Deer are hitting it pretty steady in NE Val Verde Co. Green or not they eat it about the same.

Comment

Our deer have started hitting the protein heavy in Schleicher county. It turned on like a light switch the last 3 weeks.

Comment

They were only picking at it every few days until they dropped their antlers. Now they're hammering it 2-3 times a day.

It's very green and we just had a inch of rain.

Comment

Put 500#s in my feeder about 4 weeks ago...got about half left

Comment

I have 2 feeders about 800-900 yds apart. In 6 days the deer ate 700 lbs protein. The feeders are at each end of food plots lush in clover and dried small grains. Over all have put out 4 tons over last 6 days. Might be an intense 90 days.

Comment

That is a lot of coin elgato, but if you have it, wield it! Love your thread by the way. Think I hunted with you one year in the panhandle. Killed a book deer on a pasture next to your Mexico place, (Las Cuevas?), think CA and his son have a place close by?
                Keep posting your knowledge, it is greatness and very helpful for the rest of us. Hope to see you again someday.

Comment

Studied some of my TC pics today and the deer are spending hours at the feeder. Is that good or bad thing?

Comment

Originally posted by drslonghorn View Post
                    That is a lot of coin elgato, but if you have it, wield it! Love your thread by the way. Think I hunted with you one year in the panhandle. Killed a book deer on a pasture next to your Mexico place, (Las Cuevas?), think CA and his son have a place close by?
                    Keep posting your knowledge, it is greatness and very helpful for the rest of us. Hope to see you again someday.
                    Small world. I know Los Cuevas and Armando well and yes we are next door. The O'Brian in the pan handle? CA and son are top notch folks. Don't get any better.Glad you enjoy the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                      Small world. I know Los Cuevas and Armando well and yes we are next door. The O'Brian in the pan handle? CA and son are top notch folks. Don't get any better.Glad you enjoy the thread.
                      That's the ranch Rusty, I've told a lot of people about your thread and none of them are surprised by anything you have accomplished. They all speak very highly of you. Keep up the great thread and maybe our paths will cross again someday.

Comment

They have been pounding it on our place in Llano/Mason counties. We've put out about 6200# and can't keep up with them. have had some coons but the deer have been busy.

Comment

I'm assuming they are killing the protein now because everything is growing so much that it has turned tough. All the small tender growth is gone that they really like.

Either that or the deer don't like walking in mud so they just stay at the feeders. Cant wait to go check my feeders.

Comment

Very little, we aren't planning on feeding anymore as of now since its so green

But we are gonna try and get corn out earlier this year

Comment

Deer have ramped up there consumption lately. About a ton per week.
                              I am no biologist but I think it is partly because the does fawns are developing rapidly now. The bucks antlers are really starting to grow and there bodies are telling them to eat more high quality feed. The beneficial vitamins and nutrients that the protein provides really attracts them to the protein.
                              Last edited by TexasTK; 05-12-2015, 09:01 AM.

Comment

They aren't touching it here on my Taylor county, or my Nolan county place maybe 2000lbs in the last 2 months between 3 months

Comment

Working...
                                X