300 Blackout Subsonic for deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m building a 300 Blackout pistol 10.5” and wanted to know if anyone is hunting deer with subsonic ammo. My stamp for my silencer should be in any day, I’ve been waiting for 13 months. Anyway I’m wanting to let my daughter hunt with this from my bow blinds. Shots would be 35-40 yards max, most likely 20 yards.

I see Noveski makes a 220 grain subsonic bullet that is supposed to expand well and penetrate good.

Looking for real world experience for close range shots onTX deer.

Anybody????

What’s the reason for not using full loads? Just asking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
      I’m building a 300 Blackout pistol 10.5” and wanted to know if anyone is hunting deer with subsonic ammo. My stamp for my silencer should be in any day, I’ve been waiting for 13 months. Anyway I’m wanting to let my daughter hunt with this from my bow blinds. Shots would be 35-40 yards max, most likely 20 yards.

I see Noveski makes a 220 grain subsonic bullet that is supposed to expand well and penetrate good.

Anybody????
      Lehigh valley makes another subsonic expandable you should look at.

Comment

Kids are more scared of the bang of a gun than the recoil. This will be my youngest hunting next years she will be 6 years old.

Subsonic through a suppressor is very quiet.

Comment

I've killed around 20 pigs with mine, but shots are less than 50 yards, and always head shots. I shoot the Hornady Black 208 gr. Penetration is fine I guess. I've doubled up before with head shots. The first hog I ever shot at was a shoulder shot. About an 80# sow and she soaked it up and took off to never be seen again. No blood, so I started head shooting them.

Comment

We shoot a lot of 208 Hornady Amax plinking around but would not recommend it for anything other then a pig personally. If you neck or head shooting maybe, but its not designed for subsonic speeds (.308 @2800fps). Currently shooting Underwoods 194gr (Lehigh bullet) out of a 16" bolt 300blkout with good expansion. Cost is twice of the Hornady's but the POI is almost exactly the same so they are only being used for hunting situations. Lung shots under 50yrds and it lights out on doe which is all we are shooting. My 9yr old son and I are hunting out of mostly bow blinds zero's at 30yrds. Question "why?"....because it's his favorite gun, fun, and it works. Plus being mostly bow hunters on the lease, it's a courtesy to them to stay as quiet as possible.

Neither the Underwoods or Hornady's would reliably cycle out of my AR with a stock piston and spring.
            Last edited by Notaguide; 12-09-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Leigh defense makes a 194 grain bullet that works like a Broadhead. Opens up to 4 blades and cuts a 1-1/2” hole.
              Killed lots of critters up to and including red deer

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                Leigh defense makes a 194 grain bullet that works like a Broadhead. Opens up to 4 blades and cuts a 1-1/2” hole.
                Killed lots of critters up to and including red deer

Wow, that sounds promising. What did the red deer weigh?

Comment

Makers bullets also make one like that and it's a bit cheaper and heavier so better option for hunting

Comment

Supersonic 300 blackout is still very quiet. Especially with a child, I’d much rather use full power loads. Killed 6 deer out to 150 yards with Barnes blacktips.

Also, If you are worried about noise you should be going with a 16” bolt gun and not an AR.

Comment

Originally posted by DocHolliday View Post
                      Supersonic 300 blackout is still very quiet. Especially with a child, I’d much rather use full power loads. Killed 6 deer out to 150 yards with Barnes blacktips.

Also, If you are worried about noise you should be going with a 16” bolt gun and not an AR.

I do have a Ruger American in 300BO as well, that may be an option. The kids like smaller guns though.

Comment

gun

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post

Anybody????
                        just wait and let the kiddo shoot it after you get suppressed Daughter killed one couple years back but I shoot regular ammo not subs. I wont shoot one with subs for my kids 1st deer. You want to make sure you find it, subs have no knock down power.If you got a bolt gun use it, shooting a 10.5" barrel is helping things

Comment

I’ve had VERY mixed results with subsonics and I only use them at bow ranges.

I’ve lost way more than I’ve recovered using them.

My experience with the Lehigh defense bullets has been vastly different than Buff’s. We’ve shot 3 deer through the lungs with zero recoveries. They don’t drop and at best we had a blood trial like a bow with a marginal shot. You have to remember you are dealing with energies about the same as a 45ACP and your trying to shove a 1-1/2” plus bullet through them.

I did manage to kill a buck 2 years ago using the 220 grain Noveske rounds but I put it straight through his heart at 15 yards. I’m not sure if the Bullet expanded or not because it was not recovered. He reacted exactly like a bow shot deer with the high leg kick. He ran about 20 yards, stopped and looked around and then tipped over.

Also I will tell you from shooting a suppressed 8” SBR 300 Blackout there is still enough noise from the gas ports in the bolt to ring your ears inside a blind even with subsonics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            I’ve had VERY mixed results with subsonics and I only use them at bow ranges.

I’ve lost way more than I’ve recovered using them.

My experience with the Lehigh defense bullets has been vastly different than Buff’s. We’ve shot 3 deer through the lungs with zero recoveries. They don’t drop and at best we had a blood trial like a bow with a marginal shot. You have to remember you are dealing with energies about the same as a 45ACP and your trying to shove a 1-1/2” plus bullet through them.

I did manage to kill a buck 2 years ago using the 220 grain Noveske rounds but I put it straight through his heart at 15 yards. I’m not sure if the Bullet expanded or not because it was not recovered. He reacted exactly like a bow shot deer with the high leg kick. He ran about 20 yards, stopped and looked around and then tipped over.

Also I will tell you from shooting a suppressed 8” SBR 300 Blackout there is still enough noise from the gas ports in the bolt to ring your ears inside a blind even with subsonics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike we are not so far apart.....
                            As I said they kill very much like a broad head.
                            I used them tracking wounded game and I would plunk one in the lungs when we caught up to it.

It never took them off their feet like a 30/06 but more like a broadhead they would run another 50 yards or so and give up

Click image for larger version

Name:	363.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	24563523

Click image for larger version

Name:	a4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	24563524

Comment

Discreet ballistics makes a nice subsonic hunting round.

Why Discreet Ballistics? WE’RE FOCUSED WE’RE PASSIONATE WE’RE CONSISTENT WE’RE CARING WE’RE INNOVATIVE    Why Subsonic Ammunition? Shooting subsonic ammunition is significantly quieter than shooting supersonic ammunition. Simple fluid dynamics tells us that if a projectile travels at a velocity below the speed of sound, the sonic crack normally heard with supersonic projectiles will not Read More

Comment

Working...
                              X