The Deer Hunters Moonguide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
    I am a big believer in being in the field when the big moons are directly over head or directly beneath my feet. Fishing or hunting. Your deer mileage may vary .
    Same here. I will add that it is very accurate when outside influence is neutral. High pressure hunting....forget about it. Extreme weather....forget about it. The rut....forget about it. Like anything else it is just another tool to use in planning a hunt. I like to be in the woods anytime I can but if Im planning a hunt in the future, I consider the moon phase 100% of the time.

I gave up the guides a long time ago and simply look at the moon transition times and try to hunt when the transition time lines up good with morning or evening hunts.
    Last edited by rtp; 09-10-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

The rut works every time. Moon or no moon.

Comment

Weather is the number 1 factor for movement or lack of movement. That said I've always had better luck when the moon is overhead/underfoot.

Comment

So underfoot is new moon? Overhead is day time full moon?

Comment

I bought it and plan to use with my website thehuntersight.com (released November). I believe I heard about the moon guide through wired to hunt podcast.

Comment

Here is a great promo for the Red Moon Guide from the Deer Society. Spoiler alert...he drops a big one. For the record, I don't own one. But, buying one, you could probably figure out the cycle.

In this Deer Society hunt breakdown, Adam Hays demonstrates how he used the Moon Guide to pattern and close the deal on a giant Kansas buck. Be the first to ...

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                Same here. I will add that it is very accurate when outside influence is neutral. High pressure hunting....forget about it. Extreme weather....forget about it. The rut....forget about it. Like anything else it is just another tool to use in planning a hunt. I like to be in the woods anytime I can but if Im planning a hunt in the future, I consider the moon phase 100% of the time.

I gave up the guides a long time ago and simply look at the moon transition times and try to hunt when the transition time lines up good with morning or evening hunts.
                What do you mean by "transition times"?

Comment

If the cows are up ....

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                    So underfoot is new moon? Overhead is day time full moon?

It’s more about position of the moon vs. phase of the moon, although the impact is highest during the full moon and new moon phases.

Overhead would be the when moon is at its highest point in the sky in our hemisphere. Underfoot is when it is at highest point in the Southern Hemisphere.

Comment

I’ve never really understood the overhead/underfoot moon reference. Anyone care to explain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                        I’ve never really understood the overhead/underfoot moon reference. Anyone care to explain?

See previous post.

Comment

Working...
                        X