No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know a guy with a bloodhound and he loves it. Also had a tracker come out with a jag terrier before and he couldn't keep his dog on trail before. I personally like bloodhounds. Figured what people would have to say about them vs catahoula

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tracked with a bloodhound for 4 years, don’t know what state your in, but if your in a state where you can work off lead... their too slow on the track and on the chase. Never will get a deer stopped and bayed. Great nose, just slow. Just my experience with them, to each their own

Comment

My Hanoverian bloodhound is 3 now and much faster on the track than he was his first two seasons. I suppose it depends on what kind of bloodhound you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
          My Hanoverian bloodhound is 3 now and much faster on the track than he was his first two seasons. I suppose it depends on what kind of bloodhound you're talking about.

Yeah Grayson I wasn’t referring to the Bavarian or the Hanoverian, just the good ol bloodhound. If I was referring to them I would have said so. Great dogs that have all the tools!! Your fortunate

Comment

Found a buck today 60 hr after shot. neighbors grandson gut shot a buck I had on camera the last few months. I tracked it for them because it immediately jumped the fence back on to the property I manage. I was happy his grandson got a crack at him. He shot him on the 22nd at 5 pm. I went out the 22nd around 8 pm knowing I had a slim chance being a gut shot and how he acted they said. Also because the next few days were going to be busy with Christmas. We found no blood and it was misty rain. Ran dimmit about 30 min and backed out came back today the 27th and set dimmit up and went the direction I thought he would go and got lucky across a creek and over 700 yards from where he was hit we found the Bucks antlers hide and a back bone. Coyotes had him cleaned up. But there will be a happy young hunter this weekend. Not sure how to post pictures now that photo buckets acting up but he was a nice ten with a split brow.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
              Found a buck today 60 hr after shot. neighbors grandson gut shot a buck I had on camera the last few months. I tracked it for them because it immediately jumped the fence back on to the property I manage. I was happy his grandson got a crack at him. He shot him on the 22nd at 5 pm. I went out the 22nd around 8 pm knowing I had a slim chance being a gut shot and how he acted they said. Also because the next few days were going to be busy with Christmas. We found no blood and it was misty rain. Ran dimmit about 30 min and backed out came back today the 27th and set dimmit up and went the direction I thought he would go and got lucky across a creek and over 700 yards from where he was hit we found the Bucks antlers hide and a back bone. Coyotes had him cleaned up. But there will be a happy young hunter this weekend. Not sure how to post pictures now that photo buckets acting up but he was a nice ten with a split brow.

Glad you all found it for that young hunter. Way to go.

Comment

Doc found another one this morning! Not a trophy but it was a young man's first and an axis at that!

Shot last night I was working so couldn't make it out to track until about 8am. She ran basically a big circle. About 250yds into the track Doc found where she had bedded down and about a plate sized saturated spot of blood then the trail was pretty dry for the last 200yds but still a success!
                Yotes got to her....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Seay; 12-30-2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the recoveries guys!

Comment

Great job everyone.

Just figured I would weigh in here on this thread, I haven't checked it in a while. If you don't have a GPS collar, I would highly suggest getting one and using it. Thought I was going to lose my dog this week. Lost track of her for 24 hours and probably lost an animal because I decided since I had her on a long lead with a bell I didn't need to bother with a GPS.

Comment

We have caught a good amount of deer this season. Got a call on Sunday. Buck was hit and hunter didn’t know where. We took the track and had blood on the initial 10 yards. She took the line about 350 and found him dead. No more blood until the end.

Comment

jerimy brought his dog trigger out monday afternoon to look for a buck i shot early that morning. great blood trail for 75 yds. we pushed the buck from its bed and left it walking slowly away after wards. 4 hrs later, looked for a while in the nearby rocks before calling jerimy. trigger initially got after the wrong deer, but after starting over, went straight to him and bayed him, then chased him almost 500 yds before we were able to catch up to them. was exciting and thrilling to recover a deer we would otherwise have never recovered. thanks again jerimy.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by dragonsdaddy; 01-04-2018, 08:32 AM. Reason: add picture

Comment

Originally posted by dragonsdaddy View Post
                          jerimy brought his dog trigger out monday afternoon to look for a buck i shot early that morning. great blood trail for 75 yds. we pushed the buck from its bed and left it walking slowly away after wards. 4 hrs later, looked for a while in the nearby rocks before calling jerimy. trigger initially got after the wrong deer, but after starting over, went straight to him and bayed him, then chased him almost 500 yds before we were able to catch up to them. was exciting and thrilling to recover a deer we would otherwise have never recovered. thanks again jerimy.
                          Sounds like the "recovery" was more fun than the hunt!

Congrats

Comment

When the landowner says “let me bring a machete” on your way to track a wounded you may want to turn around and drive away. Bayed this one up for a young hunter. Broken back leg and through the testicles. Don’t know how the buck was getting through some of the stuff we went through. Young dogs pulled it off, bayed him 3 times before i could get another bullet in him

Comment

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Put my new pup on a trail today, he didn’t really have any drive to follow the trail. I put him on first blood and he sat there and ate dirt for 5 minutes. Put him away and brought my full grown Doberman to the same spot, instant nose to the ground straight to the end. Any tips on what I can do to make him have more drive?

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                                Put my new pup on a trail today, he didn’t really have any drive to follow the trail. I put him on first blood and he sat there and ate dirt for 5 minutes. Put him away and brought my full grown Doberman to the same spot, instant nose to the ground straight to the end. Any tips on what I can do to make him have more drive?

Had the same problem with my lacy starting off a couple years back.

I started using some of the old ground deer meat I had in the freezer.

Beginning of blood I'd put about a chicken nugget sized piece (raw)

Then every 5-10 feet

After a while I'd space them out a little farther then to the point where it was only 5-10 ft after a turn I'd put in the trail and eventually I got to the point that he gets praise and treat at the end of the trail.

Comment

Working...
                                X