Public Hunting Out West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Hunting Out West

A few buddies and I are looking at trying some DIY public land archery hunts starting next year. Looking mainly at Elk, Pronghorn, and Mule Deer. I thought it would be best to try with a pronghorn hunt around Wyoming just because of the ease of drawing a tag and the amount of animals. I've tried the search feature on here and haven't found a whole lot of information. Is there a forum that contains more information than this one? Do any of y'all have some archery DIY stories or info that can help a newbie like me? Any help would be appreciated. Not against outfitters or private land, just trying to not break the bank. Thanks!

MonsterMuleys.com

Comment

I hunt Idaho OTC for mule deer and elk every year. Feel free to shoot me a message if I can help

Comment

Originally posted by txfrog View Post
        I hunt Idaho OTC for mule deer and elk every year. Feel free to shoot me a message if I can help
        Pm sent

Comment

Public Hunting Out West

Look into to buying the goHunt insider. They have a write up of every game unit in all the western states along with success rates and draw odds.

If you're inclined to some digital media check out the Gritty Bowmen and Randy Newberg (his YouTube is a gold mine to help you get started). There are some others, but those two will keep you busy for a while.

Also, before you buy the goHunt insider be sure to listen to a recent podcast of Randy's-there will be a promo code you will probably want to use...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Army of Dad; 10-04-2017, 11:05 AM.

Comment

rokslide.com

Comment

Wasn't archery, but did a rifle pronghorn hunt in Unit 21 in Wyoming. That unit typically has a lot of leftover rifle tags. in 2012, I think there was 100+ leftover tags after the draw. Just get online at midnight (when they go on sale) and get you one. Not sure if the same goes for archery tags though. You might go to the Wyoming Game and Fish website and try looking up the stats from the most current years. We did a DIY pronghorn hunt for around $800-$1,000 and were there for over a week. If you have all of the gear needed, you can probably do it for less. That was my first out-of-state hunt so it cost me a little more to get the gear I needed. (And gas was around $4.00 per gallon then also.)
              Last edited by TexasHunter83; 10-04-2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHunter83 View Post
                Wasn't archery, but did a rifle pronghorn hunt in Unit 21 in Wyoming. That unit typically has a lot of leftover rifle tags. in 2012, I think there was 100+ leftover tags after the draw. Just get online at midnight (when they go on sale) and get you one. Not sure if the same goes for archery tags though. You might go to the Wyoming Game and Fish website and try looking up the stats from the most current years. We did a DIY pronghorn hunt for around $800-$1,000 and were there for over a week. If you have all of the gear needed, you can probably do it for less. That was my first out-of-state hunt so it cost me a little more to get the gear I needed. (And gas was around $4.00 per gallon then also.)
                Nice fit
                I do mine in Colorado. Did you drive straight thru? I'm in Texas and will drive myself.having the right gear is a key factor to success as well as being in shape.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Public hunt

You could come up here to Amarillo and hunt the archery season out at Lake Meredith and Crossbar. Both public hunting, you can archery hunt whitetail doe/buck, mule buck, and turkey gobblers. Lots of fun but rough country!

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                    Look into to buying the goHunt insider. They have a write up of every game unit in all the western states along with success rates and draw odds.

If you're inclined to some digital media check out the Gritty Bowmen and Randy Newberg (his YouTube is a gold mine to help you get started). There are some others, but those two will keep you busy for a while.

Also, before you buy the goHunt insider be sure to listen to a recent podcast of Randy's-there will be a promo code you will probably want to use...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the GoHunt 30 day free preview and it is pretty awesome. I think they are still doing the preview. I was able to see which units I could get tags in with 0 points and has mini-scouting reports of those units.

Comment

I used to live in Pinedale, WY and there is an abundance of Pronghorn there.

OTC archery elk around meeker,CO is good. Gets crwded during rifle season but Archery is good. Behind the enterprise Gas plant I had success there.

Comment

Start listening to the meat eater podcasts. I started at episode 1 a couple months ago, and now am almost caught up. They have tons of good information in there, and its entertaining. I have found a few spots I want to hunt next year based on tips they provided. His podcasts are great for when you are driving and can't sit and study maps.

Steve has a ton of guests on, including Randy Newberg, as well as other guides, who drop information as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X