Spraying Glyphosate After Rains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spraying Glyphosate After Rains

I posted on this in another thread but thought I might get more responses in a new thread.

I was thinking about spraying my fields today in preparation for my fall food plots. With all the rain we've been having the fields are wet but there is no standing water. Just wet. Will spraying glyphosate still work in these conditions??

Glyphosate works best with lots of sunshine after applying. The moisture on the ground shouldn't affect its performance but if it rains once it's been applied it won't work like it should. This is just my experience with using it around the house.

Comment

As long as the plants aren't wet you should be good to go. I believe Gly is rainproof within 30 minutes or as soon as it's dry.

Comment

Im new to doing food plots sooo what is glyphosate

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman1998 View Post
          Im new to doing food plots sooo what is glyphosate

Roundup

Comment

My custom baler told me 2 hours. I sprayed this spring and later that day it rained its butt off. Got one of the best kills Ive ever gotten.

Comment

How much does it usually cost to do 1/2-1 acre of that.just for a small kill plot

Comment

10 bucks if you got the equipment and just need the gly if that much.

Comment

What kind of sprayer do you need to spray that much?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    What kind of sprayer do you need to spray that much?
                    Tank sprayer with an electric pump. Preferably one you can put on an ATV or tractor.

Or you can use a hand pump sprayer and it will take you 2.5 months

Comment

The label on glyphosate says 4 hour rainfast. If it is a light sprinkle, it won't hurt it in an hour or so. Should be able to buy it in 2.5 gal jugs for $15/gal or less. Apply approx. 1 qt/ac.

Comment

I sprayed last weekend with a northern tool boom sprayer.
                        It rained 4-5 hours later, so I hoped it was already absorbed. The grass was so thick from the summer growth it couldn't be mowed low, even with a tractor.
                        I hope I got a good kill as I would like to plant in about a month. I will post results after next trip.

BP

Comment

long as no rain within 2 hours of application and your fine

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                            I sprayed last weekend with a northern tool boom sprayer.
                            It rained 4-5 hours later, so I hoped it was already absorbed. The grass was so thick from the summer growth it couldn't be mowed low, even with a tractor.
                            I hope I got a good kill as I would like to plant in about a month. I will post results after next trip.

BP
                            That's my plan also. I sprayed yesterday after all the dew dried but the ground was still wet from the rains we've been getting. Luckily no rain after I sprayed.
                            The grass and weeds were so thick that I hope the spraying works. I plan to plant the last week of September. I will spread the seeds ( oats, rye, turnips and clover) and fertilizer then mow the dead weeds and grass and hope for rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
                              That's my plan also. I sprayed yesterday after all the dew dried but the ground was still wet from the rains we've been getting. Luckily no rain after I sprayed.
                              The grass and weeds were so thick that I hope the spraying works. I plan to plant the last week of September. I will spread the seeds ( oats, rye, turnips and clover) and fertilizer then mow the dead weeds and grass and hope for rain.
                              Not a farmer here.
                              I was considering spreading seed on most of the plot and then shredding. Perhaps disking lightly to get more ground contact before shredding the areas that still have green grass. I hope to have all the grass killed out in a couple of years.
                              I have never sprayed my fields. I sprayed 60 gallons of poison over the 1.5 acres.Because of the amount of real grass and a lot of weeds. That boom sprayer made it an easy job. I covered most of the field twice. This is a hog proof plot
                              I Always disked and dragged to cover my seeds in the past 30 years. I do top dress with fertilizer lightly. 150 lbs per acre.

Comment

Working...
                              X