I'm giving a bow away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm giving a bow away

Due to the generosity of various people I've met on this forum and elsewhere, I've gotten myself heavily in debt in the "pay it forward" category, so I'm giving a bow away.

Besides, I never shoot this bow, and it's got some aesthetic issues. If you want to read the whole story surrounding this bow, check out this thread:

But I'll give you the skinny on it. Basically, a friend of mine (who goes by "RiverRacer" on here) designed this form, but never made a bow from it. He let me use it, so I made this one bow from it. It has some radical curves.

I had some problems with the limbs noodling, so I made it shorter and gave it a high brace height, and eventually it turned into a good bow, though the brace height is higher than I would like for it to be. It's about 9".

The bow has some aesthetic issues, too, which may not be as evident in the pictures as they are in real life. After the struggles I had with it, I just didn't bother that much with aesthetics, and it looks a little rough, especially at the ends of the riser overlays.

Here's the final specs:

The limbs are cedar with bamboo cores and fiberglass. The riser is Osage and Ipe with walnut overlays. The tip overlays are Osage.

It's 58" nock to nock
    54# @ 28"
    It does not stack at 28".

It's got really good early draw weight, and extra skinny limbs because of having to tiller it down to a manageable weight. That has resulted in this being a wicked fast bow. I haven't shot it through a chronometer, so "wicked fast" is just my subjective impression.

I'm giving this bow to whoever wants it and is willing to come pick it up at my home in NW Austin. I'm just going to give it to the first person who leaves a comment saying they want it and are willing to come pick it up, but I do ask that if you have several walls full of bows, and you're just collecting them and not shooting them, that you let somebody else take this. I'd like to give it to somebody who will use it or who will give it to somebody else who will use it.

I should be home most of the weekend, including Monday, so that would be a good time to come pick it up.

Here's some pictures. Pay no attention to the markings on the limb in this first picture. I took that picture before cutting it shorter and retillering.

Attached Files

That's great, I wish I was close by to get it.

Comment

Thats a great gesture. I bet my brother would love it. He has been wantting to get into trad archery. I can pick it up for him?

Comment

Originally posted by Drewboy22 View Post
        Thats a great gesture. I bet my brother would love it. He has been wantting to get into trad archery. I can pick it up for him?
        This bow is probably too heavy for a first trad bow, but if you want to give it to him anyway, you can have it. Let me know, and I'll pm you with my address.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
          This bow is probably too heavy for a first trad bow, but if you want to give it to him anyway, you can have it. Let me know, and I'll pm you with my address.
          Thanks, he shoots compound and wants to give trad a go. If it dont work out I guess we would have a bow to give away

Comment

Originally posted by Drewboy22 View Post
            Thanks, he shoots compound and wants to give trad a go. If it dont work out I guess we would have a bow to give away
            Okay, I'll pm you.

Comment

Good looking bow, and great gesture.

Comment

class act buddy

Comment

Very nice gesture. If the other deal falls through, I would love to have it to get back into traditional archery. I would be willing to keep it for a period of time then pass it on. Thanks!

Comment

I'll keep that in mind, Avezorak.

Comment

good on ya sir!

Comment

Good for you.

Comment

Awesome gesture!!!

Comment

Put me in line if nothing works out. Great gesture!

Comment

Picked the bow up this morning. It was great meeting you Sam. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X