Chinese Chestnut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese Chestnut

Anyone plant Chinese Chestnut trees? I found some for sale that are 4' tall in 1 gallon pots for $35.
    I have planted many Dunstan Chestnut trees but the 3 out of 20 that survived seem to be growing very, very slowly.
    Would they cross pollinate?

Ttt

Comment

Man I got nothing. I have planted Dunstans on my place but they didn't make it. Don't know about cross pollination...but I bet they would.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, Steve.
        Can't figure out why my Dunstans are doing so poorly and I didn't want to plant the Chinese version if they were no better.

Comment

I have about 20 I grew from seedlings last February that are in the ground at the ranch right now but this will be their first summer on their own so I don't know how they'll do. The Chinese are suppose to be more drought hardy then the Dunstans. What kind of soil are you growing yours on? I believe they are able to cross pollinate because the dunstan variety is 1/8 Chinese.

Comment

I've been told all chestnuts will do poorly in alkaline soils, I don't know, I've shied away from spending money on them knowing how my soil is.

Comment

Originally posted by Doe Doe Spike View Post
              I have about 20 I grew from seedlings last February that are in the ground at the ranch right now but this will be their first summer on their own so I don't know how they'll do. The Chinese are suppose to be more drought hardy then the Dunstans. What kind of soil are you growing yours on? I believe they are able to cross pollinate because the dunstan variety is 1/8 Chinese.
              My soil is very loamy but it doesn't stay wet. The Dunstans that survived are 5 years old and barely 6' tall. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                I've been told all chestnuts will do poorly in alkaline soils, I don't know, I've shied away from spending money on them knowing how my soil is.
                Correct they like acidic soil and don't do well in clay. Have you tried giving them polyon fertilizer?

Comment

Originally posted by Doe Doe Spike View Post
                  Correct they like acidic soil and don't do well in clay. Have you tried giving them polyon fertilizer?
                  What is polyon fertilizer?

Comment

Slow release. Up to 9 months. That way you can dose them good and not burn/kill the trees.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

You might check this site for slow release watering.

Is the only problem that they are not tall? How do the trees and leaves look during the growing season?

Comment

Originally posted by 16ncs View Post
                          You might check this site for slow release watering.

Is the only problem that they are not tall? How do the trees and leaves look during the growing season?
                          Like a skinny stick with a few skinny branches and a few leaves. They have barely grown in 3 years.

Comment

Sounds like a good question for Neil Sperry! He was talking about the Chinese chestnut on his radio show (820AM) Yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                            X