DIY SS brass tumbler ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY SS brass tumbler ideas

Guys I have all the items needed for my SS brass tumbler. My only item to address is the inside of the drum. I used 6in PVC with reducer on end and a Oatey test plug. My question is this....what should I do to the inside of the drum to gently agitate the brass, water and pins.

I thought of adhering (2) 1/4 in round acrylic rods to assist with agitation. I thought some industrial strength adhesive to glue in, but not sure. Any ideas, suggestions or personal experience please help. I know something is needed inside the drum, but what is the question? Thanks

Mods if this needs to be in the DIY section please move.

Dclifton on the gs has a really good one he built you should contact him

Comment

In...I've been thinking hard about going this route myself.

Comment

My buddy built one about 20 yrs ago as a rock tumbler. He dug it out and worked like a charm. He screwed items to the inside, But afraid that method may one day spring a leak. just picking different folks minds as we have a creative group of minds here on TBH.

Comment

Just take 2 pieces of 3/4 PVC pipe rip then in half to make 4 paddles. Then bolt them to the inside of the 6" tube. Be sure and silicone the holes up.

I have ran 10s of thousands of pieces of brass through it without a hitch.

Comment

Good deal thanks dclifton

Comment

i cut some PVC and apoxied them on the inside. works great on the harbor freight rock tumbler

Comment

I don't use anything on the inside of my HF rock tumbler and it works great!

Comment

It's just helps to keep things agitated and turned over. Necessary prolly not?
                  But if your building it you might as well.

The thumbler tumbler is hexagon shape with flat sides so they help to flip over the media and brass.

Also I think my tube is about 14" long and usually on dirty brass I use 4-5 squirts of Dawn from one of the big pump dispensers you buy at SAMs. And then 2-4 TBSP of granular lemishine, depending on how dirty the brass is. Here lately I've been runing about 700 pieces of 45acp with this mixture. When the brass is pretty decent shape to begin with I fill my pipe up 3/4 full of brass and in 2-3hrs it's good enough. Now on rifle brass I usually put it half full or so and run 4hrs roughly.

Ohh also be sure and use stainless bolts and Put silicone around them. Dawn will eat up a regular plated bolt quick.
                  Last edited by dclifton; 03-03-2015, 11:02 PM.

Comment

ya know, i was going to build my own... i had everything planned out, but then i found this...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/713...y-case-tumbler

i bought it about 6 months ago and it was by far the best reloading purchase i've made. it seals great, is relatively quiet, holds a TON of brass, and came with the media already.

i don't think i could have built a cheaper setup to be honest, that works as well as this does.

just another option... you don't have to buy the high dollar ones!

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                      Just take 2 pieces of 3/4 PVC pipe rip then in half to make 4 paddles. Then bolt them to the inside of the 6" tube. Be sure and silicone the holes up.

I have ran 10s of thousands of pieces of brass through it without a hitch.
                      This is what I did as well. Be sure to use stainless steel bolts and nuts.

For smaller amounts of brass, I got the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Case Tumbler. It works very well for smaller batches of brass.

I got this for drying pistol brass with the spent primer still in after tumbling. http://www.target.com/p/oster-large-...FQ-saQodA3cA1A

Here is my big tumbler.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I usually knock my primers out, I get a lot cleaner batches of brass that way. I kept getting powder residue and stuff in my brass when I leave the primers in.

Comment

Red Neck Tumbler

Part 1..... I made this brass polishing tumbler from a discarded picnic jug and some other scrap I found lying around. Powered by a 1/2" drill and belt ...

Comment

Working...
                          X