Where to order bare root trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to order bare root trees?

I'd like to know from those that have experience planting bare root trees where they order from. I don't mind paying for quality, and would like to get them as tall as possible. Thanks!

What species?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Chinkapin, bur, shumard, Monterrey, and sawtooth oaks. Native persimmon and Mexican plum.

Comment

In for answers
        I’d like some white oaks

Comment

You might check out L.E. Cooke or Bob Wells Nursery

Comment

I’ve gotten them from both the Oklahoma State Nursery and the Missouri State Nursery. They have websites where you can see what they have. Both were very inexpensive and both had healthy trees.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

I also think the parks and wildlife has an arboriculture division

Comment

Mossy Oak Nativ Nursery

Comment

West Texas native nurseries. Not sure if they have the species you mentioned but they have a lot of native trees

Comment

I've heard good things about starkbros.com. But haven't ordered through them yet. I always end up going somewhere local when the time comes.

Comment

Arborgen
                        Pricey but the quality is there
                        Proven results

Comment

I second mossy oak nativ nurseries.
                          I have oaks in their fifth leaf that are 13 foot tall. Started as 12” seedlings.
                          I’ve ordered six different times from them. Go to their website and read up on the way they grow the seedlings. They also have a lot of cool videos.
                          It’s called the “rapid mast system” the seedlings get shipped with the rootball and soil still in the shape of the container.

The root ball on some of those seedlings is impressive. Can compare it to a large hair ball. All those hair roots can suck up more water and nutrients than any other bare root tree I’ve planted.
                          Only trees I’ve gotten from them that didn’t grow and died were the wild plums.

Otherwise, I’ve gotten shumard, live, bur, chinkapin, “late drop live”, and persimmon, and all are doing great.

Lastly, avoid Arbor Day foundation trees. Love what they do and stand for, but their bare root trees are poor in quality. A main root with a few hairs on it.
                          Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post
                            I second mossy oak nativ nurseries.
                            I have oaks in their fifth leaf that are 13 foot tall. Started as 12” seedlings.
                            I’ve ordered six different times from them. Go to their website and read up on the way they grow the seedlings. They also have a lot of cool videos.
                            It’s called the “rapid mast system” the seedlings get shipped with the rootball and soil still in the shape of the container.

The root ball on some of those seedlings is impressive. Can compare it to a large hair ball. All those hair roots can suck up more water and nutrients than any other bare root tree I’ve planted.
                            Only trees I’ve gotten from them that didn’t grow and died were the wild plums.

Otherwise, I’ve gotten shumard, live, bur, chinkapin, “late drop live”, and persimmon, and all are doing great.

Lastly, avoid Arbor Day foundation trees. Love what they do and stand for, but their bare root trees are poor in quality. A main root with a few hairs on it.
                            Good luck.
                            What kind are you making reference to that are 13’ already. Now that’s impressive in 5 seasons.

Comment

Where are you......we can give you all kind of advice but that advice might be 400 miles from you...

Comment

Working...
                              X