Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
Davik
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default Someone school me on lightbars

Going to put a 24" led light bar on the front of my 2014 Tacoma and have been confused by all the numbers! I have found them for 39 dollars to 400 dollars...help! What wattage do I need? How many lumens is too many? All I want is a lot of light to drive at night.
Davik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
jshouse
Ten Point
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

same
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

No need to spend 400 bucks.

I had pics of rigid cubes next to my much cheaper cubes and could not tell a difference. Not in light throw or construction ie: harness,seals and mounts etc. I need to measure the mounting holes on the jeep bumper so I can order another extreme. I have a 22" (extreme) and two cubes on the front of my tacoma (aurora)
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
UncleBubba
Ten Point
 
UncleBubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NE Texas
Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.
Default

Get with Extreme LED, a site sponsor. I have one of their bars and love it. Use it all the time.
UncleBubba is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
JonBoy
Ten Point
 
JonBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX
Default

Not sure on wattage but just keep in mind the 42" maximum height (without a cover) when it comes to light bars on vehicles. I've read a couple of threads on here about folks being ticketed if driving with them on public roads without them being covered.

Quote:

Sec. 547.302. DUTY TO DISPLAY LIGHTS.

(d) Not more than four of the following may be lighted at one time on the front of a motor vehicle:
(1) a headlamp required by this chapter; or
(2) a lamp, including an auxiliary lamp or spotlamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower.

Sec. 547.330. AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS PERMITTED.
(a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than two auxiliary driving lamps.
(b) An auxiliary driving lamp shall be mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height from 16 to 42 inches.
(c) Auxiliary driving lamps may be used with headlamps as specified by Section 547.333.
source: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.547.htm

Last edited by JonBoy; 01-11-2017 at 11:25 AM..
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point
 
Throwin' Darts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBubba View Post
Get with Extreme LED, a site sponsor. I have one of their bars and love it. Use it all the time.
When I click on their link on the home page the website is broken. How do I find the company that is the actual site sponsor. When I google extreme LED I get a ton of sites.
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
150class
Pope & Young
 
150class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
When I click on their link on the home page the website is broken. How do I find the company that is the actual site sponsor. When I google extreme LED I get a ton of sites.
X2
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
220swift
Eight Point
 
220swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: South, East, and Central Texas
Default

My experience is that most have good lights. The housing is better on the more expensive ones. The cheaper ones have a tendency to leak causing condensation inside the lens. I have a 36" and a 20" on my Ranger. I bought a $6 tube of silicone and covered all the places where water could get in causing condensation inside the lens. So far, no issues at at.

I think I paid $80 for the 36" and $40 for the 20"
220swift is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
UncleBubba
Ten Point
 
UncleBubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NE Texas
Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
When I click on their link on the home page the website is broken. How do I find the company that is the actual site sponsor. When I google extreme LED I get a ton of sites.
http://extremeledlightbars.com/
UncleBubba is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
150class
Pope & Young
 
150class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swift View Post
My experience is that most have good lights. The housing is better on the more expensive ones. The cheaper ones have a tendency to leak causing condensation inside the lens. I have a 36" and a 20" on my Ranger. I bought a $6 tube of silicone and covered all the places where water could get in causing condensation inside the lens. So far, no issues at at.

I think I paid $80 for the 36" and $40 for the 20"
Did you focus around the rim of the face of the light with the silicon?

I've been wanting to know where exactly to put the silicon on my cheaper bar.
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Central Texas
Default

I did not buy an expensive light bar because they are so easy to steal off the front of the truck. I bought this exact light bar in March 2014 for $185, but today the price is $39, which is insane. It has been rock solid for me and I could not be happier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFXDTEQ

Here is a picture of my low beams, and then one with the light bar. See how high it shines vertically? That is why you should never use one when other cars are on the road.

35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
I did not buy an expensive light bar because they are so easy to steal off the front of the truck. I bought this exact light bar in March 2014 for $185, but today the price is $39, which is insane. It has been rock solid for me and I could not be happier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFXDTEQ

Here is a picture of my low beams, and then one with the light bar. See how high it shines vertically? That is why you should never use one when other cars are on the road.

...like the one that is approaching you in the pics?...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
Sharecropper
Eight Point
 
Sharecropper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wood County
Hunt In: Backyard
Default

I want to install a 20" on my mule but have concerns about it using more electricity than can be generated . . Thoughts . .
Sharecropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #14
basskicker24
Ten Point
 
basskicker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Guadalupe county/ Kinney county
Default

I had a 30 inch on my Jeep that cost about $40. It worked great for the times I needed it. I now have truck that came with a 50 inch Rigid E series that cost about 1500. Its brighter but bigger. I don't understand someone spending 1500 on a light bar. A $39 bar is probably fine for what you are going to use it for. If you want to be able to drive with it on while on a public roadway you will probably need to buy a set made for that. I have a set of Rigid Dually driving lights that I use at night. A 30 inch bar is most likely not going to be legal to drive with it on. If the Rigids didn't come on my truck, I would be buying cheaper lights. Just my OP. Good luck.
basskicker24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #15
Texas8point
Pope & Young
 
Texas8point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas
Default Someone school me on lightbars



I put this 7" light bar, 12 LED's, 3w each on my Rancher and man did it make a difference. I paid $40 for the light, mounts, wiring harness and the switch- Amazon


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas8point is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #16
Jaybo31
Pope & Young
 
Jaybo31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montgomery
Hunt In: Montgomery County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davik View Post
Going to put a 24" led light bar on the front of my 2014 Tacoma and have been confused by all the numbers! I have found them for 39 dollars to 400 dollars...help! What wattage do I need? How many lumens is too many? All I want is a lot of light to drive at night.
I hope that plan is not for public roads/highways.
Jaybo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #17
91cavgt
Ten Point
 
91cavgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Waco
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
I want to install a 20" on my mule but have concerns about it using more electricity than can be generated . . Thoughts . .

My in-laws had this problem on a different utv. I replaced all of the lights with LED lights and it decreased power consumption enough to not cause a problem. You just need to put a meter on it and see how it does right now when you have the headlights on at idle.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #18
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young
 
Sticks&Strings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Magnolia, TX/ Kinney& sometimes Leon
Default

I just bought a bunch from Auxbeam. For the money, if it breaks, I can replace them multiple times before I spend as much as a rigid. And I'm sure the technology on them will continue to improve. I hope to wire them up next week. But the reviews online and on YouTube are pretty good and they have a one year warranty, so we will see.
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #19
kmitchl
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Edwards Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
I want to install a 20" on my mule but have concerns about it using more electricity than can be generated . . Thoughts . .
Don't do the math from the advertised wattage. I have a "120
Watt" light bar. If you do the math this should draw 10 amps at 12 volts. Actual measured current draw about 3.5 amps. Unless you are running one of those stereos that will shatter the windows of any cars around you, you are OK.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #20
bboswell
Pope & Young
 
bboswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery County
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
Not sure on wattage but just keep in mind the 42" maximum height (without a cover) when it comes to light bars on vehicles. I've read a couple of threads on here about folks being ticketed if driving with them on public roads without them being covered.



source: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.547.htm


I Googled and found a watt to lumen converter. Any light bar will be too bright to pass for use on public roads which is why I went with 2 LED pods.
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #21
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
...like the one that is approaching you in the pics?...
That's not a road, it's an alley. Notice how my truck takes up the whole paved space. And it's not a car, it's the side of a 7-11 gas station.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #22
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
That's not a road, it's an alley. Notice how my truck takes up the whole paved space. And it's not a car, it's the side of a 7-11 gas station.
Well, if yore lights and/or camera were any good, you'd be able to see it clearly...

That is probably the best gif I've seen demonstrating the lighting capabilities of these dang LED lights. I'm in the process of rigging out my new Pioneer 1000 and when I turn all the lights on, it gets daylight for 200 yards around that thing!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #23
150class
Pope & Young
 
150class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
I want to install a 20" on my mule but have concerns about it using more electricity than can be generated . . Thoughts . .
We have a 24" on ours and try not to have it on unless the mule is on. So far no issues and its stupid how big the difference is with the mule lights vs the light bar.

The light bar has been left on, accidentally, up to 20 mins without the mule on and the mule started right up. No recommending it but rather explaining the experience.
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #24
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Well, if yore lights and/or camera were any good, you'd be able to see it clearly...

That is probably the best gif I've seen demonstrating the lighting capabilities of these dang LED lights. I'm in the process of rigging out my new Pioneer 1000 and when I turn all the lights on, it gets daylight for 200 yards around that thing!
You are right. They are even better in person. The camera doesn't capture the light very well.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #25
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

My new Pioneer 1000 came with high/low beam LED's that are pretty dang good, but with that curved bar on the top... front and rear (still have yet to add the side cubes I got), It don't ever get dark 'round my machine when it's in use... Put interior LED bars on it too... No problem finding my stuff in the dark because there ain't no dark left when I throw all them switches!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #26
r_u_sharp_2
Ten Point
 
r_u_sharp_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Round Rock
Hunt In: Junction
Default

I got a cheap one off Amazon that had plenty of positive reviews. Put it on my ATV at the lease.

This is headlights to bar comparison.

It is a combo bar.. think it was 24in total.

Great deal for the money.
r_u_sharp_2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #27
ckamp52
Ten Point
 
ckamp52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Burleson, TX
Hunt In: caddo, OK for the season/ anywhere else I'm allowed
Default

no need to go top of the line really but don't cheap out.. I have a few rigid pods I got on sale and they are awesome and the housings have held up much b etter than my cheaper ones. I have 4 pods on my sxs roof and they light up better than my buddies 40" but again he spent 60 bucks. I have a middle of the road 20" on the front bumper of the same rig and a 6" on the rear of the roof and they get condensation in them all the time and the housings have faded dramatically- not a huge deal but. I also have noticed while doing some research that the power consumption is usually different between the cheapos and the more expensive lights. for what most people use them for I don't think it matters but just things I have noticed during the hours of "research" I did before I bought mine..oh also all my friends that bought amazon ones the brackets where actually plastic vs the aluminum ones on the "better' ones
ckamp52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #28
220swift
Eight Point
 
220swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: South, East, and Central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Did you focus around the rim of the face of the light with the silicon?

I've been wanting to know where exactly to put the silicon on my cheaper bar.
I went around where the clear lens meets the housing, on both ends where the seam is, and around where the wiring goes into the housing.

You can google youtube videos on how to do it and it will give you all the info you need.
220swift is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #29
Low Fence
Pope & Young
 
Low Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Quitman, Tx.
Default

This is a 12"auxbeam.... or something (amazon special) payed -$40 for it and it's seen move water and rain than most will and works flawless. There is really no need to even turn the headlights on other than to see display on instrument panel.

I'd remove my winch before I'd give up this light. Great investment
Attached Images
 
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #30
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
This is a 12"auxbeam.... or something (amazon special) payed -$40 for it and it's seen move water and rain than most will and works flawless. There is really no need to even turn the headlights on other than to see display on instrument panel.

I'd remove my winch before I'd give up this light. Great investment
I put a pair of that exact light on the back of the top of my new buggy. And yea, they make daylight for a long way when I need to see while backin' up in the dark!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #31
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I put a pair of that exact light on the back of the top of my new buggy. And yea, they make daylight for a long way when I need to see while backin' up in the dark!
I have a set of 6" bars hidden up under my rear bumper on each side of the receiver hitch. DAYLIGHT behind my truck. Makes boat launches and loading trailers super easy in the dark. Cost me $20.
Flex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #32
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
I have a set of 6" bars hidden up under my rear bumper on each side of the receiver hitch. DAYLIGHT behind my truck. Makes boat launches and loading trailers super easy in the dark. Cost me $20.
You just wire them into your norma back up lights? I have some small ones, but might upgrade a bit myself. I wired the small ones right into my back up lights.

Edit: Also been thinking about putting a set of "back up lights on the back of my utility and dump trailers too... Anybody do that?
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #33
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
You just wire them into your norma back up lights? I have some small ones, but might upgrade a bit myself. I wired the small ones right into my back up lights.
I thought about this but ultimately decided against it. There are too many times when I would NOT want the light of God shining from the rear of my truck when reversing, so I put the back-up lights on their own separate switch wired straight to the battery. This also means they can be used when the truck is off.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #34
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
I thought about this but ultimately decided against it. There are too many times when I would NOT want the light of God shining from the rear of my truck when reversing, so I put the back-up lights on their own separate switch wired straight to the battery. This also means they can be used when the truck is off.
I will probably do that too. Have bed lighting under my tonneau cover on a separate swith that has worked OK. Sure would be easy to remove the little dink lights I have and put some cubes on in their place tho...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #35
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young
 
Sticks&Strings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Magnolia, TX/ Kinney& sometimes Leon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
My new Pioneer 1000 came with high/low beam LED's that are pretty dang good, but with that curved bar on the top... front and rear (still have yet to add the side cubes I got), It don't ever get dark 'round my machine when it's in use... Put interior LED bars on it too... No problem finding my stuff in the dark because there ain't no dark left when I throw all them switches!
I'm anxious to see this. I bought 2-7" beams for inside my front bumper, and a 22" V-Series (rgbw) for the top of the front bumber. I also bought two sets of pods for the back. One pair shines back, and I haven't decided what to do with the second pair yet. I'd like them to point out to the sides, but not sure how to mount them.
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #36
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
I'm anxious to see this. I bought 2-7" beams for inside my front bumper, and a 22" V-Series (rgbw) for the top of the front bumber. I also bought two sets of pods for the back. One pair shines back, and I haven't decided what to do with the second pair yet. I'd like them to point out to the sides, but not sure how to mount them.
I worked on it some this evening. Still waiting on a new wiring harness I orderded last week. I managed to order the wrong one for the lighted in dash switches I am using. Still haven't mounted the cubes for the side lights. when I get everything wired up, I'll post some pics.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #37
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young
 
Sticks&Strings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Magnolia, TX/ Kinney& sometimes Leon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
I worked on it some this evening. Still waiting on a new wiring harness I orderded last week. I managed to order the wrong one for the lighted in dash switches I am using. Still haven't mounted the cubes for the side lights. when I get everything wired up, I'll post some pics.
Where did you get your switches? I ordered mine from OTRATTW or something like that. I installed them but haven't wired them. I'm going to take it to a place to do all my wiring so it will last a long time. I also am waiting on some rgb rock lights I ordered to put under my roof for cab lights/party lights of I ever get to use it late night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com