Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Rate the Day Lease

Old 05-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #1
Double-O-Dave
Six Point

Default Anybody ever hunt with Austin Gay - Seguin, TX?

Good morning:

I think there have been a few questions in the past about this gentleman who advertises hog hunts on his ranch in Seguin, TX for $50.00. Has anyone here ever hunted with him, or know of someone who has? Is this legitimate or too good to be true?

Regards,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
hgiles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can find a place

I've been out there. One other guy was hunting also who I didn't know. He sat in his blind and smoked cigarette's all night.

I was about 300 yards away and could smell the smoke. Did hear some pigs but never saw anything.
hgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
Double-O-Dave
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgiles View Post
I've been out there. One other guy was hunting also who I didn't know. He sat in his blind and smoked cigarette's all night.

I was about 300 yards away and could smell the smoke. Did hear some pigs but never saw anything.
Hi Hgiles:

Thanks for your response. Would you go hunt there again, or should I look elsewhere? I left a voice mail message for him last night, but haven't heard back from him yet.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 05-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
hgiles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can find a place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
Hi Hgiles:

Thanks for your response. Would you go hunt there again, or should I look elsewhere? I left a voice mail message for him last night, but haven't heard back from him yet.

Thanks,

Dave
I personally won't be going back. I'm sure people kill hogs out there, but I'm sure the place gets lots of pressure.
hgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Double-O-Dave
Six Point

Thanks, again, Hgiles, for your information. The point is probably moot, anyhow. It has been two days, and he hasn't even returned my phone call. Unfortunately, hunting a hog hunt has taken on a life on its own.

Much obliged,

Dave
Old 08-01-2016, 11:49 PM   #6
spread5150
Eight Point

Hunt In: West Texas, East Texas, Central Texas, South Texas

Been there. Wont go back.
spread5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2016, 01:04 AM   #7
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
Thanks, again, Hgiles, for your information. The point is probably moot, anyhow. It has been two days, and he hasn't even returned my phone call. Unfortunately, hunting a hog hunt has taken on a life on its own.

Much obliged,

Dave

I will never understand the lack of communication in any field trying to sell anything. It absolutely blows my mind from handy man home repair to hunting guides that don't call you back within 24 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
giarcher
Four Point

I hunted there once and won't return. The pics he post on Craigslist are not at all what you will see. I saw some coons and a couple of does with zero signs of pigs. I was not looking for a canned show up and kill hunt but there was no sign at all that pigs are running around. It is a low fence operation and just maybe they were not in the area when I was hunting.

The place is not very bowhunter friendly and primarily set up for gun/crossbow hunters. He has ground blinds but they are not for bowhunters unless you can shoot through a 6" horizontal slot...I sure cant.

He does not maintain the place and the feeders are not going off 2x's a day as he advertises. He did manually trip the feeder and corned the area when he dropped me off. The only protein feeder I saw was empty with tall grass growing up around it.

With all that said, the main reason I won't go back is for safety. He set me up in a ladder stand that leaned so far forward I could not safely stand up in it. The straps holding the stand up were sun damaged and needed to be replaced years ago. I ended up climbing down and sat on a stool for the evening.

Last edited by giarcher; 09-03-2016 at 02:13 PM..
giarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #9
shollandatx
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Hunted there several weeks ago - Myself, nor my brother in another stand, saw anything. Then again, we'd likely agree this can anywhere and why we call it "hunting". They do have remote lights set up under the feeders but they are extremely dim. We left shortly after dark and doubt we will return.
shollandatx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #10
Double-O-Dave
Six Point

Good morning:

Thanks to all for your responses. I think Craigslist hunts are very hit-and-miss, with the emphasis on the "miss". By the way, to date, Austin Gay has never responded to my initial inquiry, which I think speaks volumes.

Regards,

Dave
Old 09-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #11
joel45acp
Nubbin' Buck

Hello gents, first time here. I was hoping for better news from this "day lease" since I've scheduled a hunt with him on Sept 28th for my wife and me. She is really looking forward to the hunt/spending time in the woods. This will be our first hunt together. Thanks for the heads up though. Btw, great forum gents.
joel45acp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #12
Sideler
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel45acp View Post
Hello gents, first time here. I was hoping for better news from this "day lease" since I've scheduled a hunt with him on Sept 28th for my wife and me. She is really looking forward to the hunt/spending time in the woods. This will be our first hunt together. Thanks for the heads up though. Btw, great forum gents.
Don't tell her about the reviews.
Sideler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2016, 11:17 PM   #13
David DeAnda
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideler View Post
Don't tell her about the reviews.
And let us know how it goes. Hopefully you will have better results.
David DeAnda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #14
Warrant
Four Point

joel45ACP

I am looking forward to hearing about your trip. I am only about 20 minutes from there and would really like to hear a success story. finger crossed for you, good luck
Warrant is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #15
joel45acp
Nubbin' Buck

Well, we didn't go. The gent never sent any info about where the ranch was or any address. maybe it had something to do with the fact that I told him I was a po po. hahaha
Old 09-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #16
dphillips62
Six Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

If you want hogs double L in Victoria is the place you want. I went a few months ago and I wasn't in the tripod before the pigs showed up they are reasonable and everyone was great.
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #17
joel45acp
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphillips62 View Post
If you want hogs double L in Victoria is the place you want. I went a few months ago and I wasn't in the tripod before the pigs showed up they are reasonable and everyone was great.
Thanks for the heads up. But I wanted to stay about an hour from San Antonio if possible.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:23 PM   #18
Armydude82
Four Point

Yea so a buddy of mine got a hog tonight... he said it isn't bad I'm going to go tomorrow probably..
Armydude82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #19
Armydude82
Four Point

Well he got 6 hogs so far
Old 10-05-2016, 02:03 AM   #20
spread5150
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armydude82 View Post
Well he got 6 hogs so far

Did he take any pics of the setups or pigs ?

I have a date at double L already and I look forward to it.

As far as this place goes. I called and the guy tells me "be there by 430." I get there at 4 so that I am not late ... he replies "ok just wait at the gate ill see you at 430". ughh ok. He drops me at the blind. I sit till after dark. Feeder goes off and no corn comes out. He put a little out before he left me though so Im optimistic. Saw nothing. Hey its hunting... I send a message that I am leaving ... He reply's "ok let yourself out"

Was not the experience I was looking for. A dud all the way around in my view.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:28 AM   #21
Warrant
Four Point

I am headed out to this place next week. I will post pics and a review to let you all know how it goes.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #22
stuntriderant
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mustang ridge, Elgin

Just don't.
stuntriderant is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2016, 01:24 AM   #23
Armydude82
Four Point

Thumbs down Do not hunt Austin Gay!!!!! in Seguin/Kingsbury, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by spread5150 View Post
Did he take any pics of the setups or pigs ?

I have a date at double L already and I look forward to it.

As far as this place goes. I called and the guy tells me "be there by 430." I get there at 4 so that I am not late ... he replies "ok just wait at the gate ill see you at 430". ughh ok. He drops me at the blind. I sit till after dark. Feeder goes off and no corn comes out. He put a little out before he left me though so Im optimistic. Saw nothing. Hey its hunting... I send a message that I am leaving ... He reply's "ok let yourself out"

Was not the experience I was looking for. A dud all the way around in my view.
Yeah I hear ya on that man, the guy did not even show up. I texted him at 5:30 pm and he told me he wasnt going to show tell 6:30 and still he did not show up, It was his girlfriend that showed up to let me in. Also, he had dogs running around. I saw one hog the whole time and the hog was running from a dog. I texted him about it and he said it was probably a stray and I said not it has a collar. Also you need to have a hunting license if your hunting hog and he told me I did not which is a lie because I took the hunters ed course and it states you have to have the license to hunt hog for harvest.
My buddy did kill a few on the property but he had to work hard for it he said. He said he did everything from hog bombs to making some kind of sugar mix to bring them in. The guy Austin Gay is a Joke and he does not seem to care because he makes it little bit of money. I told him he had dogs barking all night and it seemed that since my buddy went out there he does not want to let anyone get more than there $50.. I do not recommend this place at all.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:30 AM   #24
spread5150
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrant View Post
I am headed out to this place next week. I will post pics and a review to let you all know how it goes.

Dont go. Its a terrible experience.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:48 AM   #25
Armydude82
Four Point

I am checking out another spot that charges $100 in Seguin and I will let you know.. It is on 600 acres from what the guy states.. Unlimited hogshttp://sanantonio.craigslist.org/bfs/5812477688.html
Old 10-16-2016, 01:57 AM   #26
Armydude82
Four Point

Thumbs down Do not hunt Austin Gay!!!!! in Seguin/Kingsbury, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by giarcher View Post
I hunted there once and won't return. The pics he post on Craigslist are not at all what you will see. I saw some coons and a couple of does with zero signs of pigs. I was not looking for a canned show up and kill hunt but there was no sign at all that pigs are running around. It is a low fence operation and just maybe they were not in the area when I was hunting.

The place is not very bowhunter friendly and primarily set up for gun/crossbow hunters. He has ground blinds but they are not for bowhunters unless you can shoot through a 6" horizontal slot...I sure cant.

He does not maintain the place and the feeders are not going off 2x's a day as he advertises. He did manually trip the feeder and corned the area when he dropped me off. The only protein feeder I saw was empty with tall grass growing up around it.

With all that said, the main reason I won't go back is for safety. He set me up in a ladder stand that leaned so far forward I could not safely stand up in it. The straps holding the stand up were sun damaged and needed to be replaced years ago. I ended up climbing down and sat on a stool for the evening.
If anyone reads this he is right about how the bow blind is. I had a low hanging tree in my way the whole time and it was so difficult to take a shot with my bow if I needed to because of the tree the blind was strapped to. I think I would have been better off just going to HEB... I also got off of work early which was a mistake.. I did not get through the gate tell about 6:45pm
Old 10-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #27
Armydude82
Four Point

Old 10-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #28
Warrant
Four Point

Did you get that hog at Austin Gays or the other place?

Old 10-19-2016, 12:22 AM   #29
Armydude82
Four Point

No my buddy did...
Old 10-19-2016, 12:39 AM   #30
roostar14
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shnf, NE tx van zandt

I have a friend I met on a fishing forum I'm a fishing guide in the coast. He does hog hunts guided stalk or blind for 175 also does night vision hunts. You can find him on fb he is a great dude and can hook y'all up. Jeff Koen is his name.
roostar14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2016, 12:40 AM   #31
roostar14
Eight Point

Sorry Jeff keown
Old 10-19-2016, 12:42 AM   #32
roostar14
Eight Point

He's pretty cheap I was gonna do a bow hunt after I seen his night vision trips everything supplied was 175.( I don't know if they still are that price but worth calling and asking)
Old 10-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #33
Armydude82
Four Point

I'm going to hunt this Saturday at this other place in seguin if anyone is interested in joining me?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #34
Buzz
Six Point

I sent Kolton a message earlier today and he just sent me the following text message.
I'm just sending this offer out to some of the recent hunters I've had lately! I'm trying to get 3-5 hunters to lease the hunting for two months. Unlimited hogs, and coyotes.
It's 300 acres to hunt on, two blinds, two feeders, I also have a pop up blind. I keep corn in the feeders. I also have a room in my horse barn that had a/c, heater, shower, bathroom, and four beds, fire pit and porch. I would like to lease it November 1st- January 1st. At 800 a per son. Let me know if you are interested or have questions.
Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2016, 01:00 AM   #35
Armydude82
Four Point

Yea he posted that on Craigslist but first I saw 600 acres then I saw 400 acres and now I see 300 acres... seems weird now... these are all postings on Craigslist and from what Buzz is saying now..
Old 10-20-2016, 01:02 AM   #36
Armydude82
Four Point

It's starting to seem kinda shady now...
Old 10-20-2016, 01:33 AM   #37
roostar14
Eight Point

Scratch what I said about the hog hunts talked to my buddy he's only booking water fowl hunts till after season. Sorry
Old 10-21-2016, 09:16 PM   #38
Armydude82
Four Point

Anyone ever been here??
Texas Hog Boss & Double S Outfitters
Old 10-23-2016, 02:42 AM   #39
Armydude82
Four Point

Well I saw deer and one hog..
Old 10-23-2016, 06:29 AM   #40
Warrant
Four Point

Did you get the hog?

Old 10-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #41
Armydude82
Four Point

No I did not. I only saw one and the other guy that was there did not see anything. He has a lot of deer though, but that was useless to me at 10pm.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #42
Armydude82
Four Point

Yea I think I'm done with Craigslist hunts...
Old 10-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #43
Armydude82
Four Point

The guy has hogs I am sure but what is not help full is that there is a high fence about a mile down the road from him.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #44
Warrant
Four Point

Armydude82,

Have you hunted any new places in the SA area worth hitting up

Old 11-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #45
Armydude82
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrant View Post
Armydude82,

Have you hunted any new places in the SA area worth hitting up

I went out to Dhanis, TX, guy charges $200 for hog and doe
Old 11-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #46
Warrant
Four Point

That's not to bad for a freezer full of meat. Do you have pics and contact info

Old 11-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #47
Armydude82
Four Point

The pic should come up
Old 11-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #48
Armydude82
Four Point

Old 01-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #49
fonzarelli
Nubbin' Buck

I've seen a few deer,no hogs but a bunch of dogs barking...and from reading the reviews I don't think there's any hogs there
fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 AM   #50
Warrant
Four Point

I sat out there from 0530-1000 and saw 1 small doe and a squirrel. Didn't have much luck.