Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #4001
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

I can attest that hourly sucks. I have been a salaried employee since about 1995 and was put on hourly 2 years ago. It sucks balls and I am turning in my 2 weeks on Monday and going to find another job. We have gone from 84 hours a week to 56 hours a week. With pay cuts earlier this year and now this until about April or May I might as well go work at McDonald's and be home everyday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
bowhuntertex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #4002
Headhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle Co

Yeah it's really not bad. Our company if your hourly has to work you at a minimum of 20 days or they are losing money. if you don't work the office starts asking questions. I'm really hoping the wages come back after the year. But than again I have heard some of the wages that other company's are offering on the hourly rate are crazy low.
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #4003
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLUM View Post
I hear ya. I have been hourly for 3 years now and I hate it until I have a 20 hr work day.
Yea luckily I get more than just a single day rate for the long days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Yeah it's really not bad. Our company if your hourly has to work you at a minimum of 20 days or they are losing money. if you don't work the office starts asking questions. I'm really hoping the wages come back after the year. But than again I have heard some of the wages that other company's are offering on the hourly rate are crazy low.
How do they lose money if an hourly worker isn't working?

I think wages will have to come up.. I'm expecting a shortage in guys wanting to come back and that's the only way to persuade them
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #4004
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico

Quote:

How does the company loose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
We went hourly back in the middle of the summer. July I think. To say it sucked is an understatement. The rates they gave us were so bad that we would just sit around and purposely try to get laid off or fired. After a few weeks of the loss in employee production, the company re-evaluated our rates and made an increase but still not good enough.

Wow! You just said that out loud!!!! I'll refrain form saying anymore!! Sometimes it would be nice for guys like you to have the burden of owning a company and see what actually it takes to make it! When things are good everyone is happy go lucky with their company! When things get tight us company owners are all sorry rich SOBs!

Hope you continue to thrive in your employment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #4005
Headhunter
Six Point

Oh, I should have explained that a little more, they pay a standby rate while at the house. So if you don't work they pay a fixed rate an hour. So basically That fixed rate is for 15mins while at the house. Comes out way more than the original salary rate. The hourly rate is the same, while at work they give you a fixed day rate which is higher than standby rate, but once you get over 40 hrs overtime is kicked in. The way they fixed it up you make the same or more than the original day rate stuff. An example, you have a chance of making 7kwhile sitting at home if you didn't work for that month. For that month they lost, 20 days is the break even point. Anything less than that they lose money. I was really skeptical when it happened however I make more with the new system. Weird and really hard to explain.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #4006
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Oh, I should have explained that a little more, they pay a standby rate while at the house. So if you don't work they pay a fixed rate an hour. So basically That fixed rate is for 15mins while at the house. Comes out way more than the original salary rate. The hourly rate is the same, while at work they give you a fixed day rate which is higher than standby rate, but once you get over 40 hrs overtime is kicked in. The way they fixed it up you make the same or more than the original day rate stuff. An example, you have a chance of making 7kwhile sitting at home if you didn't work for that month. For that month they lost, 20 days is the break even point. Anything less than that they lose money. I was really skeptical when it happened however I make more with the new system. Weird and really hard to explain.

Gotcha!

Old 12-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #4007
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

I just landed a new job. I think things are looking up. After two years of trying to run a pipe company and engineering consulting, I finally threw in the towel and went back to work for the man. There are some benefits. "the man" has better benefits, and if I have an off month, I don't starve to death. Good luck to everyone. I think we're about to turn this corner.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #4008
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
No I get it. There are a few paying guaranteed hours whether at work or not to cover lost salaries. Basically the same as salary plus day rates. That's not a bad system but many went straight to hourly only when working and that would be a killer cut
Old 12-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #4009
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

KR...what's this camero you speak of??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #4010
Headhunter
Six Point

Yeah, in the Directional field and I'm sure you know BP as being a DD haha, if you don't pay your hands they are gone. And when they leave they take the work with them. It was a pretty smart thing that our company did. Especially for guys like me that are scared of going contract and having to worry about taxes and etc. however, I'm to the point now where I may go contract after the year.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #4011
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post

I'll let the owner of said rig decide to share or not!!!! He's a regular here in this thread!

Old 12-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #4012
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yeah, in the Directional field and I'm sure you know BP as being a DD haha, if you don't pay your hands they are gone. And when they leave they take the work with them. It was a pretty smart thing that our company did. Especially for guys like me that are scared of going contract and having to worry about taxes and etc. however, I'm to the point now where I may go contract after the year.
Yep my work is my work

I'm lucky where I am they also pay a huge amount of healthcare coverage for me and my family over $11k/yr so with that and salary I don't plan on making a move unless I'm really forced to
Old 12-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #4013
JW
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Even knowing now I wouldn't change it. It makes the lawyers rich that's it. I agreed to my pay and the way it was structured before my first day. I just hope it doesn't cause all of us to go hourly because we will make less in the end

**** right. I agreed to what I sign for. I'm not gonna cry later. Also me and you won't get black balled.

JW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #4014
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
It's nothing doesn't exist
Old 12-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #4015
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin' View Post
**** right. I agreed to what I sign for. I'm not gonna cry later. Also me and you won't get black balled.

Lol guy told me "they can't legally hold it against us for rehire". Well if someone believes that will stop them I'll just let em believe it lol
Old 12-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #4016
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
It's nothing doesn't exist

LOL!

Old 12-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #4017
JW
Banned!!!

Quote:
Lol guy told me "they can't legally hold it against us for rehire". Well if someone believes that will stop them I'll just let em believe it lol

Bwahahahahahahaha!!! they don't know how this game is played.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #4018
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble & Fayette county. And now Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
How does the company loose?

Wow! You just said that out loud!!!! I'll refrain form saying anymore!! Sometimes it would be nice for guys like you to have the burden of owning a company and see what actually it takes to make it! When things are good everyone is happy go lucky with their company! When things get tight us company owners are all sorry rich SOBs!

Hope you continue to thrive in your employment!

I know what I said is bad, sounds bad, and looks bad. But the only reason we acted the way we did was the approach the company rolled this thing out to us. Our management didn't fight for us nor did they even tell us what was happening. We had meetings and asked about it but no one gave us the time. They kept all info from us and left us in the dark. It made it really hard to stay positive and focused on work. Yes we would still do our job but we wouldn't jump like we used to.
I know a few things about business, not being an owner but growing up in a family business. I've seen a lot of good and bad things occur in the company until the day my grandfather sold it. So to say"guys like you" I understand, but you have to be where we were at at the time to really understand our actions. No one was written or fired, I actually have been promoted up the ladder since moving to hourly months ago. Reading your comments on this thread and others, you seem like a good guy and boss. I'm sure you would at least give your guys a heads up when something major is about to happen to them financially. Instead of us getting a blanket letter in the mail and then running from your guys when they have questions and concerns about what happened.

Last edited by txoutdoorsman24; 12-09-2016 at 09:57 PM..
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #4019
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin' View Post
Bwahahahahahahaha!!! they don't know how this game is played.

From college straight to being an MWD. Soooooo no clue

I've been blackballed I know better
Old 12-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #4020
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Times have got a little slow but not bad
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #4021
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Whoaaaaa. That is gorgeous!! Yours?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #4022
RLUM
Six Point

Hunt In: Montgomery, Walker, Leon and Kimble counties. RSA

Quote:
From college straight to being an MWD. Soooooo no clue

I've been blackballed I know better
Man even on here MWD'S get no respect
RLUM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 10:04 PM   #4023
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harris County and looking to join a Lease.

Just want things to pick back up to how they were. Miss the patch

TalonErickson7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #4024
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young

Quote:

You just had to do it man!!! LOL!

Old 12-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #4025
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Whoaaaaa. That is gorgeous!! Yours?
Yes sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLUM View Post
Man even on here MWD'S get no respect
Lol most do I have several buddies that do it and I usually get to keep them with me
Quote:
You just had to do it man!!! LOL!

Lol my wife wants it gone
Old 12-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #4026
Bobby Ferguson
Six Point

Hunt In: Goliad County (Weesatche)

Quote:
Even knowing now I wouldn't change it. It makes the lawyers rich that's it. I agreed to my pay and the way it was structured before my first day. I just hope it doesn't cause all of us to go hourly because we will make less in the end
This.

Anyone working a day rate knew what they were getting into and they agreed. The few dd's we have working for us that are still employees are getting paid hourly. They don't like it at all. One more thing to blame mwd hands for. Like they didn't make enough money watching movies instead of their tool the whole time your sliding. Anyone who got in on that lawsuit should have a hard time looking themselves in the mirror. You agreed to a day rate and later had a problem with it. What about all the days you sat around and did nothing but the company still paid your day rate.
Bobby Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #4027
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ferguson View Post
This.

Anyone working a day rate knew what they were getting into and they agreed. The few dd's we have working for us that are still employees are getting paid hourly. They don't like it at all. One more thing to blame mwd hands for. Like they didn't make enough money watching movies instead of their tool the whole time your sliding. Anyone who got in on that lawsuit should have a hard time looking themselves in the mirror. You agreed to a day rate and later had a problem with it. What about all the days you sat around and did nothing but the company still paid your day rate.

And they should have to disclose it on their resume and/or application!

Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #4028
Bobby Ferguson
Six Point

Quote:

I wouldn't hire anyone that was in on that law suit. The oil field ain't for them. I hear wal-mart pays hourly.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #4029
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
I wouldn't hire anyone that was in on that law suit.

Not a chance! Too many good people out there looking for work!

Old 12-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #4030
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!
Default Hmmm? '69 model?

Quote:
Had a '68 Rally Sport back in 1972. Wrecked it about 9 months after getting it. Really miss that old car. Dumb kid stuff.

AWESOME looking Camaro!!!!!!
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #4031
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Not a chance! Too many good people out there looking for work!

From what I've heard some companies really did screw guys over by adjusting pay periods and even just not paying over certain amounts of overtime though. Those guys deserve their pay as they were already hourly
Old 12-09-2016, 10:23 PM   #4032
JW
Banned!!!

Quote:
I wouldn't hire anyone that was in on that law suit. The oil field ain't for them. I hear wal-mart pays hourly.

yep!

Old 12-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #4033
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:

Should we still have to disclose it even if were salaried employees that made a job bonus. We weren't on day rates or anything of that nature. My company offered the "pay off" to all of us in my line of work, even the managers/supervisors. It came as a surprise to all of us and we were instructed it would be good if we took it. Def wasn't much more than one months pay.

Last edited by txoutdoorsman24; 12-09-2016 at 10:32 PM..
Old 12-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #4034
Bobby Ferguson
Six Point

Quote:
From what I've heard some companies really did screw guys over by adjusting pay periods and even just not paying over certain amounts of overtime though. Those guys deserve their pay as they were already hourly
Hourly pay is different but all the paper work i got in the mail was for day rate hands. There is no overtime for day rate. I know you know that being a dd yourself.

Last edited by Bobby Ferguson; 12-09-2016 at 10:56 PM..
Old 12-09-2016, 10:43 PM   #4035
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Fortunately, I missed out on the pay/lawsuit fiasco, but have wondered how much those guys got payed that were on the sliding pay scale. I never really understood it but turned down 2 jobs because it just seemed like a very dishonest pay system.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2016, 10:43 PM   #4036
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young

Quote:

I'm sure those things happened and I'm sure there's another side to those stories as well! I've been behind on payroll a few times! Sucks for everyone and we hated to be in that position! This is a tough business and will humble the toughest SOB out there!

Quote:
Should we still have to disclose it even if were salaried employees that made a job bonus. We weren't on day rates or anything of that nature. My company offered the "pay off" to all of us in my line of work, even the managers/supervisors. It came as a surprise to all of us and we were instructed it would be good if we took it. Def wasn't much more than one months pay.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the situation. I don't know your deal I was just basing my feelings based on your comments about dragging arse not doing your job trying to get fired or laid off! Not cool no matter what the situation and makes you no different than the company you speak of not giving you notice IMO... I'm sure you are a great guy but those comments struck me wrong as a business owner in this industry.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #4037
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm sure those things happened and I'm sure there's another side to those stories as well! I've been behind on payroll a few times! Sucks for everyone and we hated to be in that position! This is a tough business and will humble the toughest SOB out there!

I'm sure there are exceptions to the situation. I don't know your deal I was just basing my feelings based on your comments about dragging arse not doing your job trying to get fired or laid off! Not cool no matter what the situation and makes you no different than the company you speak of not giving you notice IMO... I'm sure you are a great guy but those comments struck me wrong as a business owner in this industry.

Yea I msure there are too. I can say that not one of the guys I work with would ever sue the company for some BS like that. Well maybe 1 guy but he's full of crap. None the less, I see how these type things can ruin a company. Especially the smaller ones. I figured my comments would not come off well but it's the truth. I got no problem being honest. I've had discussion with my superiors about how ****** off I was and everyone else. All they could of was say I know. It didn't make much crap to them bc they didn't get affected like us but it was just a hard pill to swallow. Now I can sit here and say I'm glad I finally got over it and realized there's more to it then just sulking. Some guys haven't and never will. Man I feel for anybody that owns a business in this industry. I don't think I could. It's volatile and there's so many bad apples out there that are just in it to screw you over. I see more and more of it now that I'm up the ladder a little bit. I got peesed off everyday about something bc of someone else. If I were the owner I'd probably lose my marbles. More power to ya bud for hanging I there.

I hope this thing turns around soon and everybody can get back to working.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:24 AM   #4038
tkuehn5410
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crosby, Dickens

Quote:
Yea I msure there are too. I can say that not one of the guys I work with would ever sue the company for some BS like that. Well maybe 1 guy but he's full of crap. None the less, I see how these type things can ruin a company. Especially the smaller ones. I figured my comments would not come off well but it's the truth. I got no problem being honest. I've had discussion with my superiors about how ****** off I was and everyone else. All they could of was say I know. It didn't make much crap to them bc they didn't get affected like us but it was just a hard pill to swallow. Now I can sit here and say I'm glad I finally got over it and realized there's more to it then just sulking. Some guys haven't and never will. Man I feel for anybody that owns a business in this industry. I don't think I could. It's volatile and there's so many bad apples out there that are just in it to screw you over. I see more and more of it now that I'm up the ladder a little bit. I got peesed off everyday about something bc of someone else. If I were the owner I'd probably lose my marbles. More power to ya bud for hanging I there.

I hope this thing turns around soon and everybody can get back to working.
Amen! I work in the lawn and landscape field, and have people try to file for injuries all the time, and it's the guys that I train, and they do the bare minimum, but don't excel, and then get "injured," before you fire them.
tkuehn5410 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #4039
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
Nice...is that a 67??

I'm looking at a bit more modern one myself...
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #4040
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Nice...is that a 67??

I'm looking at a bit more modern one myself...
'68

Eventually it will have the modern power plant in it though.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #4041
Artos
Pope & Young

Nice...pretty excited about owning my first real muscle car.

Let's hope 2017 pans out like expected!!
Old 12-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #4042
Daddypants
Four Point

'67 Camaro has vent windows.
'68-'69 does not.
'69 has three fake louvres in front of rear fender well.

There are other differences (tailights, etc) but that is the easiest for most folks to spot.
Daddypants is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #4043
poisonivie
Ten Point

Hunt In: wise co and anywhere I can

69 has different body lines.
poisonivie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #4044
Artos
Pope & Young

2017 has a 10 speed automatic & 650HP/650 Torque...

There was an article not long ago of a 69 ZL1 that sold for $1mm...crazy

Last edited by Artos; 12-10-2016 at 01:20 PM..
Old 12-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #4045
kkp005
Four Point

Hunt In: Madison County

I work for a directional company that started going hourly in the Spring of 14. I was a coordinator then and it was pretty brutal explaining to these guys that their day rate and salary was a thing of the past. Even our lowest paid guys were guaranteed $2600 dollars a month, even if they never stepped foot on a rig for that month. You have to work alot of hours just to make up for what you used to be guaranteed.(Especially when you start talking about senior guys that had pretty decent guaranteed salaries). Now if you don't work any in a 2 week pay period you actually "owe" the company money for covering your insurance premiums.

I did not participate in the lawsuit we had because I didn't think it was right. I knew what I signed up for when I first signed on and was perfectly fine with the day rate system. Now that I'm back in the field I definitely miss the good ol' days of day rate, salary and truck allowance.

However the timing for these directional companies having these law suits come up could not have been any worse. Of course these labor law lawsuits started popping up right when the down turn was really kicking in. You have guys that just lost their job,are struggling to make ends meet and fighting to find a decent paying job to just stay afloat. Well they go out to their mailbox one day and here is a letter stating they are due unpaid overtime and backpay........ Do the math and you'll see why lots of guys jumped on board.

It's a bad deal anyway you look at it. I sure am glad I was able to stay working through it all. We are actually short handed right now so it looks like it's turning around fellas'
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2016, 06:41 AM   #4046
Kodiakk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine and where ever else I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowOnly81 View Post
Yep! We're going hourly in January. It's bull crap!
We have already gone hourly.
Kodiakk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #4047
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

How is it looking out there? We are looking at a serious rough patch here here I work. Was really hoping things would start turning around quick.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #4048
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

My product line is going strong and we have added several new customers with several waiting to kick off the new year. Gonna be good as long as my guys want to work and I can hire a couple people.
Unfortunately did get work today WFT is laying off 5k world wide, 2k of which are domestic. 1200 are Frac employees and the other 800 no one knows yet. So gonna be some long worrisome days ahead for a while.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #4049
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

I quit my oil field job right before Christmas and landed a job with the same pay where I am home every night. I will miss the oilfield, but I won't miss it too terribly bad. I figured if I didn't get out while it was slow I was never going to get out.
bowhuntertex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #4050
BowOnly81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakk View Post
We have already gone hourly.
Yay! Just found out we're not doing hourly anyway. Sweet!
BowOnly81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top