Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #2501
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

A hit piece from NYT

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/19..._r=1&referrer=


By JOHN SCHWARTZ
AUGUST 18, 2015
A little-noted portion of the chain of pipelines and equipment that brings natural gas from the field into power plants and homes is responsible for a surprising amount of methane emissions, according to a study published on Tuesday.

Natural-gas gathering facilities, which collect from multiple wells, lose about 100 billion cubic feet of natural gas a year, about eight times as much as estimates used by the Environmental Protection Agency, according to the study, which appeared in the journal Environmental Science & Technology.

The newly discovered leaks, if counted in the E.P.A. inventory, would increase its entire systemwide estimate by about 25 percent, said the Environmental Defense Fund, which sponsored the research as part of methane emissions studies it organized.


More at the link.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #2502
RustyRanchero
Ten Point
 
RustyRanchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Permian Basin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
I don't know if I know anyone out here who makes 100k and doesn't work at least 12hrs per day and earned their positions. Of those that work 12hrs a day two guys on location barely make that and work 7/7 and are supervisors, two more work 14/14 and are THE bosses here, and the other four of us work around 300 days a year 12hrs a day. That's out of about 25 people on location.

I've been out here a long time and have yet to see someone make 100k year to "work a few hours a day and have more days off then the rest of us". If they do I highly doubt that person didn't hurt their bodies getting into that position.
We operate a gas plant in the barnett shale and I work with a couple senior operators who clear 100K and the schedule we work we only work half the year. But, I guess midstream work is different than upstream stuff.
RustyRanchero is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #2503
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRanchero View Post
We operate a gas plant in the barnett shale and I work with a couple senior operators who clear 100K and the schedule we work we only work half the year. But, I guess midstream work is different than upstream stuff.
It's different work but those that clear it have worked their way into that. Half the year working 12hrs a day is still quite a bit and more than 40hrs a week all year.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #2504
RustyRanchero
Ten Point
 
RustyRanchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Permian Basin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
It's different work but those that clear it have worked their way into that. Half the year working 12hrs a day is still quite a bit and more than 40hrs a week all year.
Yes sir, that's what I meant to put. Our senior guy ( he trained me) has 40 years in the industry and the other has 20+. So, it's completely understandable when you see those guys make the big bucks because they're the ones trouble shooting the issues most of the time.
RustyRanchero is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #2505
kyle1974
Pope & Young
 
kyle1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Bluff, America
Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
A hit piece from NYT

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/19..._r=1&referrer=


By JOHN SCHWARTZ
AUGUST 18, 2015
A little-noted portion of the chain of pipelines and equipment that brings natural gas from the field into power plants and homes is responsible for a surprising amount of methane emissions, according to a study published on Tuesday.

Natural-gas gathering facilities, which collect from multiple wells, lose about 100 billion cubic feet of natural gas a year, about eight times as much as estimates used by the Environmental Protection Agency, according to the study, which appeared in the journal Environmental Science & Technology.

The newly discovered leaks, if counted in the E.P.A. inventory, would increase its entire systemwide estimate by about 25 percent, said the Environmental Defense Fund, which sponsored the research as part of methane emissions studies it organized.


More at the link.
that's a crock... "leaks" and "emissions" are totally different. emission calculations are typically so over estimated under the fear of an actual release, and pending litigation from the EPA, the vast majority of operators give a huge buffer to prevent issues with regulatory agencies.

Last edited by kyle1974; 08-18-2015 at 08:25 PM..
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #2506
tex4k
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Big Lake TX.
Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
A hit piece from NYT

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/19..._r=1&referrer=


By JOHN SCHWARTZ
AUGUST 18, 2015
A little-noted portion of the chain of pipelines and equipment that brings natural gas from the field into power plants and homes is responsible for a surprising amount of methane emissions, according to a study published on Tuesday.

Natural-gas gathering facilities, which collect from multiple wells, lose about 100 billion cubic feet of natural gas a year, about eight times as much as estimates used by the Environmental Protection Agency, according to the study, which appeared in the journal Environmental Science & Technology.

The newly discovered leaks, if counted in the E.P.A. inventory, would increase its entire systemwide estimate by about 25 percent, said the Environmental Defense Fund, which sponsored the research as part of methane emissions studies it organized.


More at the link.

Man they just won't let this one go, roughly 20 yrs. ago we had to go through our systems from the wellhead through the processing system to the sales point measuring or guesstimating gas leakage from every connection and possible release point for those jokers.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #2507
Grumpy1911
Eight Point
 
Grumpy1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisiana
Hunt In: Louisiana/South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
You just won't admit it lol

You have never seen someone make 100k and work a few hours a day and have more days off then most of us? I have and I know 0.2% of the amount of oilfield workers you do
Ima wait til in the morning to reply to this....
Grumpy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #2508
denowt
Ten Point
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lavaca Co
Hunt In: Lavaca Co/public land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
It's different work but those that clear it have worked their way into that. Half the year working 12hrs a day is still quite a bit and more than 40hrs a week all year.

365/2=182.5 days
182.5*12=2190 hours/year

40 hours/week * 52 weeks = 2080 hours/year

110 hours per year difference, about 2 hours per week, isn't that much.
denowt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 09:47 PM   #2509
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young
 
KR-oldmexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Groesbeck, Tx
Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico
Default

You guys are freaking amazing!
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #2510
d_e_smith
Ten Point
 
d_e_smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: ETX
Default

I'll go out on a limb and say the majority of the 6 figure salaries in the industry with decent schedules and lots of time off are on the paper pushing side of things in an office, not sweating/freezing their rearends off.
d_e_smith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #2511
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young
 
KR-oldmexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Groesbeck, Tx
Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico
Default

Who freaking cares!!! Put your peckers up and pray for a turnaround!!!
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 10:03 PM   #2512
JSAPP
Pope & Young
 
JSAPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hallettsville
Hunt In: Lavaca Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_e_smith View Post
I'll go out on a limb and say the majority of the 6 figure salaries in the industry with decent schedules and lots of time off are on the paper pushing side of things in an office, not sweating/freezing their rearends off.

I wouldn't bet too hard. I also wouldn't worry so much about what others make any try to find your own way to do it. The opportunities are there. Especially when we start coming out of this slump. The possibilities will be endless for those willing to go get it.
JSAPP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #2513
Big H
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sulphur Springs, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
You just won't admit it lol

You have never seen someone make 100k and work a few hours a day and have more days off then most of us? I have and I know 0.2% of the amount of oilfield workers you do
I had a 6 figure oil field job until the lay off in April. I worked and lived half the year on a little metal island in the GOM plus many days on land in training, crewchanges, etc.

I would like one of these jobs you speak of. So if you don't mind post the position and company information that pays that well and doesn't require much work.

Not trying to derail the thead just a little humor until it picks back up and I get back in the patch.
Big H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 10:53 PM   #2514
kyle1974
Pope & Young
 
kyle1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Bluff, America
Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
Who freaking cares!!! Put your peckers up and pray for a turnaround!!!

no kidding on that! another 6 months of $40 oil, and no one will be arguing about 100K salaries.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #2515
d_e_smith
Ten Point
 
d_e_smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: ETX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAPP View Post
I wouldn't bet too hard. I also wouldn't worry so much about what others make any try to find your own way to do it. The opportunities are there. Especially when we start coming out of this slump. The possibilities will be endless for those willing to go get it.
Not really worried about it, just making a statement based on what I see in terms of schedule/difficulty.

Kicker to what you posted is when are we coming out of this slump? And following that is, with some companies using this time to increase storage and transport capabilities, how long will the next slump be?
d_e_smith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #2516
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by denowt View Post
365/2=182.5 days
182.5*12=2190 hours/year

40 hours/week * 52 weeks = 2080 hours/year

110 hours per year difference, about 2 hours per week, isn't that much.
I didn't say it was a lot more hours just that it was more. I just said it's still quite a bit of time total.

Last edited by bphillips; 08-18-2015 at 11:24 PM..
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 11:17 PM   #2517
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

By the way for the people who obviously don't know much about the industry, the vast majority of guys will start in the 50k/yr range. Only those that stick with it will ever make much more unless they time it right during a boom and even then the lack of experience won't keep them around come bust. Many won't hit 100k for 5-6 years and then the BIG money is usually at least 10yrs in. That takes hard work and good luck those jobs aren't aren't just laying there waiting for a swinging **** to walk up and fill the spot


There are also guys who make a lot with low hourly wage because they work so many hrs it would make me sick and I work a lot of hrs a year haha

Last edited by bphillips; 08-18-2015 at 11:21 PM..
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 11:23 PM   #2518
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
Who freaking cares!!! Put your peckers up and pray for a turnaround!!!
I know I might have to sell some toys one day
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #2519
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Kimble & Fayette county. And now Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
By the way for the people who obviously don't know much about the industry, the vast majority of guys will start in the 50k/yr range. Only those that stick with it will ever make much more unless they time it right during a boom and even then the lack of experience won't keep them around come bust. Many won't hit 100k for 5-6 years and then the BIG money is usually at least 10yrs in. That takes hard work and good luck those jobs aren't aren't just laying there waiting for a swinging **** to walk up and fill the spot


There are also guys who make a lot with low hourly wage because they work so many hrs it would make me sick and I work a lot of hrs a year haha
Very true statement here folks. I have a base of 50 plus service bonus. And service means being gone a lot. I do well for myself but I work and don't complain about having to work. Maybe why I still have a job. Idk. Just saying.
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 11:31 PM   #2520
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

We are getting a few orders here and there but this month is looking to be our worst since the price drop. Im just gonna pray that when i am gone for 2 weeks moose hunting next month that something happens and the turn around starts..
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #2521
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
We are getting a few orders here and there but this month is looking to be our worst since the price drop. Im just gonna pray that when i am gone for 2 weeks moose hunting next month that something happens and the turn around starts..
Hope it picks up for you also. I'm having to travel to different places and longer distances from the house but I'm still busy so far. Being literally on a rig I know that can change overnight though
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2015, 11:40 PM   #2522
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Hope it picks up for you also. I'm having to travel to different places and longer distances from the house but I'm still busy so far. Being literally on a rig I know that can change overnight though
you should buy our float equipment on those rigs.. Ill make you a hell of a deal..
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 12:05 AM   #2523
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
you should buy our float equipment on those rigs.. Ill make you a hell of a deal..
I would if I was in that position but I'm just a directional guy
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 12:54 AM   #2524
jooger17
Pope & Young
 
jooger17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lufkin, Tx
Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by denowt View Post
365/2=182.5 days
182.5*12=2190 hours/year

40 hours/week * 52 weeks = 2080 hours/year

110 hours per year difference, about 2 hours per week, isn't that much.
I worked the 7/7 or 14/14 route for 12 years. To someone who is ignorant of the reality of the job, your numbers would look correct, but they aren't. Every company I worked for had a 30min pre tour meeting. Nabors and H&P have a 30min post your meeting. At least once a week you have a RSMT Meetinf, that one is an hour. You also have quarterly compliance training and there's so much of that it's crazy. If you work 14/14 it works out to 2-5 days of meetings on your days off that are anywhere from 8-12hrs a day, every 2nd or 3rd days off.

Then you move up to driller... You still have all of those meetings, but I always went in about 15min earlier to get paper work lined out for the guys and catch up on what happened on my 12hrs off. Every 2 years you get to go to a 4 day well control class. When you make relief you'll do hand overs with your relief for anywhere from 15min to an hour depending on the situation.

Then one day you move up to Toolpusher. Your day starts at 4am. You prepare the meetings that will take place at 5:30. Go over e mails that came through while you were napping. Review reports and have the driller fix this or that. About the time that gets fixed the CoMan calls and wants it changed back. Reports sent off at 5:30, lead the safety meeting and if you're really lucky you'll have about an hour to take a shower and eat breakfast. Your day is going to end around 11pm. IF operations are going smooth. I've been on the rig floor for as much as 3 consecutive days without sleep. At the end of day 2, you're 8hrs into a "normal" job's overtime.

When I went directional drilling, it was still pretty similar. There's always new operations and things to be learned. I probably averaged 14-16hrs a day, and worked around 25 days a month.

All that is to show that your math isn't really spot on.

There's guys that say things like, "I only do about 2hrs of work a day." What they're saying is, they've busted their nuts for a lifetime to get where they are and only do about 2hrs of physical labor a day. I've done both. I worked my way from the wormiest Floorhand you ever saw to a good tool pusher and a pretty fair directional driller. I've seen both sides of the quarter and I'll take the physical labor over the mental labor EVERY SINGLE TIME.
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 01:35 AM   #2525
BowOnly81
Pope & Young
 
BowOnly81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Trinity, TX
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
I worked the 7/7 or 14/14 route for 12 years. To someone who is ignorant of the reality of the job, your numbers would look correct, but they aren't. Every company I worked for had a 30min pre tour meeting. Nabors and H&P have a 30min post your meeting. At least once a week you have a RSMT Meetinf, that one is an hour. You also have quarterly compliance training and there's so much of that it's crazy. If you work 14/14 it works out to 2-5 days of meetings on your days off that are anywhere from 8-12hrs a day, every 2nd or 3rd days off.

Then you move up to driller... You still have all of those meetings, but I always went in about 15min earlier to get paper work lined out for the guys and catch up on what happened on my 12hrs off. Every 2 years you get to go to a 4 day well control class. When you make relief you'll do hand overs with your relief for anywhere from 15min to an hour depending on the situation.

Then one day you move up to Toolpusher. Your day starts at 4am. You prepare the meetings that will take place at 5:30. Go over e mails that came through while you were napping. Review reports and have the driller fix this or that. About the time that gets fixed the CoMan calls and wants it changed back. Reports sent off at 5:30, lead the safety meeting and if you're really lucky you'll have about an hour to take a shower and eat breakfast. Your day is going to end around 11pm. IF operations are going smooth. I've been on the rig floor for as much as 3 consecutive days without sleep. At the end of day 2, you're 8hrs into a "normal" job's overtime.

When I went directional drilling, it was still pretty similar. There's always new operations and things to be learned. I probably averaged 14-16hrs a day, and worked around 25 days a month.

All that is to show that your math isn't really spot on.

There's guys that say things like, "I only do about 2hrs of work a day." What they're saying is, they've busted their nuts for a lifetime to get where they are and only do about 2hrs of physical labor a day. I've done both. I worked my way from the wormiest Floorhand you ever saw to a good tool pusher and a pretty fair directional driller. I've seen both sides of the quarter and I'll take the physical labor over the mental labor EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Right on jooger! And not to mention, you can't count them as 12 hr days, you have to count them as 24 hr days because you're AT WORK! And away from your family then entire 7-14 days....or in my case right now, 4-5 weeks (till the well is done).
BowOnly81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 01:54 AM   #2526
steven
Eight Point
 
steven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brachfield
Hunt In: Rusk Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by denowt View Post
365/2=182.5 days
182.5*12=2190 hours/year

40 hours/week * 52 weeks = 2080 hours/year

110 hours per year difference, about 2 hours per week, isn't that much.
That 110hrs equals almost 14 8 hour days, so a regular 8 hour employee working a normal Mon-Fri schedule would have to work 7 days a week from January 1st to the end of February to make up the difference.

Sounds like a little more that way don't it?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 05:56 AM   #2527
denowt
Ten Point
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lavaca Co
Hunt In: Lavaca Co/public land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
I worked the 7/7 or 14/14 route for 12 years. To someone who is ignorant of the reality of the job, your numbers would look correct, but they aren't. Every company I worked for had a 30min pre tour meeting. Nabors and H&P have a 30min post your meeting. At least once a week you have a RSMT Meetinf, that one is an hour. You also have quarterly compliance training and there's so much of that it's crazy. If you work 14/14 it works out to 2-5 days of meetings on your days off that are anywhere from 8-12hrs a day, every 2nd or 3rd days off.



Then you move up to driller... You still have all of those meetings, but I always went in about 15min earlier to get paper work lined out for the guys and catch up on what happened on my 12hrs off. Every 2 years you get to go to a 4 day well control class. When you make relief you'll do hand overs with your relief for anywhere from 15min to an hour depending on the situation.



Then one day you move up to Toolpusher. Your day starts at 4am. You prepare the meetings that will take place at 5:30. Go over e mails that came through while you were napping. Review reports and have the driller fix this or that. About the time that gets fixed the CoMan calls and wants it changed back. Reports sent off at 5:30, lead the safety meeting and if you're really lucky you'll have about an hour to take a shower and eat breakfast. Your day is going to end around 11pm. IF operations are going smooth. I've been on the rig floor for as much as 3 consecutive days without sleep. At the end of day 2, you're 8hrs into a "normal" job's overtime.



When I went directional drilling, it was still pretty similar. There's always new operations and things to be learned. I probably averaged 14-16hrs a day, and worked around 25 days a month.



All that is to show that your math isn't really spot on.



There's guys that say things like, "I only do about 2hrs of work a day." What they're saying is, they've busted their nuts for a lifetime to get where they are and only do about 2hrs of physical labor a day. I've done both. I worked my way from the wormiest Floorhand you ever saw to a good tool pusher and a pretty fair directional driller. I've seen both sides of the quarter and I'll take the physical labor over the mental labor EVERY SINGLE TIME.
So are you saying all of those meetings, etc are unpaid time?


Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
That 110hrs equals almost 14 8 hour days, so a regular 8 hour employee working a normal Mon-Fri schedule would have to work 7 days a week from January 1st to the end of February to make up the difference.



Sounds like a little more that way don't it?
Or you could also say that working half the year would be the same as working from 7 days/week from January 1 to June 30.
Both would be a irrelevant comparison.

Plus, you're getting paid for those extra 110 hours. It's not like you're working then for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowOnly81 View Post
Right on jooger! And not to mention, you can't count them as 12 hr days, you have to count them as 24 hr days because you're AT WORK! And away from your family then entire 7-14 days....or in my case right now, 4-5 weeks (till the well is done).
Firefighters, military, and plenty of other jobs do the same.

And you CHOSE to do it.

I'm not trying to knock the oilfield.
Just quit trying to illicit sympathy for a time consuming job that you chose to do and are paid well to do it.
denowt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #2528
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by denowt View Post
So are you saying all of those meetings, etc are unpaid time?




Or you could also say that working half the year would be the same as working from 7 days/week from January 1 to June 30.
Both would be a irrelevant comparison.

Plus, you're getting paid for those extra 110 hours. It's not like you're working then for free.



Firefighters, military, and plenty of other jobs do the same.

And you CHOSE to do it.

I'm not trying to knock the oilfield.
Just quit trying to illicit sympathy for a time consuming job that you chose to do and are paid well to do it.
What does any of this have to do with what was talked about?

Yea some of those meeting and things are not paid but some are. They were simply pointing out the hours actually put in from experience. Also nobody here wanted sympathy for being gone. Believe it or not we realize we chose this and are ok with it.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #2529
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young
 
KR-oldmexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Groesbeck, Tx
Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by denowt View Post
So are you saying all of those meetings, etc are unpaid time?




Or you could also say that working half the year would be the same as working from 7 days/week from January 1 to June 30.
Both would be a irrelevant comparison.

Plus, you're getting paid for those extra 110 hours. It's not like you're working then for free.



Firefighters, military, and plenty of other jobs do the same.

And you CHOSE to do it.

I'm not trying to knock the oilfield.
Just quit trying to illicit sympathy for a time consuming job that you chose to do and are paid well to do it.
You win now go away!

I hope you industry stays strong and you continue to be successful brother! In the mean time all of us that chose to be in the oil and gas industry will continue to pray that this thing turns around and we can find common ground where everyone wins and everyone can make a living!

Last edited by KR-oldmexico; 08-19-2015 at 07:57 AM..
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #2530
Grumpy1911
Eight Point
 
Grumpy1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisiana
Hunt In: Louisiana/South Texas
Default

Not sure why some folks open this thread.

Meanwhile. Hurry up $80.00 Oil!!
Grumpy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #2531
oktx
Pope & Young
 
oktx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wise County
Hunt In: Wise County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
Not sure why some folks open this thread.

Meanwhile. Hurry up $80.00 Oil!!
Since they open the thread. $90 oil.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #2532
Grumpy1911
Eight Point
 
Grumpy1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisiana
Hunt In: Louisiana/South Texas
Default

Lol. No doubt. I take 100!
Grumpy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #2533
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young
 
KR-oldmexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Groesbeck, Tx
Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
Not sure why some folks open this thread.

Meanwhile. Hurry up $80.00 Oil!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Since they open the thread. $90 oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
Lol. No doubt. I take 100!
Hellllll just give us mid $60's!
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 08:00 AM   #2534
oktx
Pope & Young
 
oktx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wise County
Hunt In: Wise County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
Hellllll just give us mid $60's!
And $4.00 NG
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #2535
d_e_smith
Ten Point
 
d_e_smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kingwood
Hunt In: ETX
Default

Since yall are being hopeful, NG prices need to skyrocket.
d_e_smith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #2536
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
Hellllll just give us mid $60's!
Baby steps
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #2537
denowt
Ten Point
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lavaca Co
Hunt In: Lavaca Co/public land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
What does any of this have to do with what was talked about?



Yea some of those meeting and things are not paid but some are. They were simply pointing out the hours actually put in from experience. Also nobody here wanted sympathy for being gone. Believe it or not we realize we chose this and are ok with it.

Someone made the statement that working half the year at 12hr days was a lot more hours than a "normal" 40 hour week.

Stating the actual hours worked(overtime), is irrelevant.
Many jobs have extensive overtime in addition to the stated hours.
The oilfield is not unique in that aspect.
That was my point.
I was attacked for introducing some facts. I apologize for that.
denowt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #2538
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young
 
KR-oldmexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Groesbeck, Tx
Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by denowt View Post
Someone made the statement that working half the year at 12hr days was a lot more hours than a "normal" 40 hour week.

Stating the actual hours worked(overtime), is irrelevant.
Many jobs have extensive overtime in addition to the stated hours.
The oilfield is not unique in that aspect.
That was my point.
I was attacked for introducing some facts. I apologize for that.

Are you still here???

We get it baby! Now move along!!!
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #2539
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
It's different work but those that clear it have worked their way into that. Half the year working 12hrs a day is still quite a bit and more than 40hrs a week all year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denowt View Post
Someone made the statement that working half the year at 12hr days was a lot more hours than a "normal" 40 hour week.

Stating the actual hours worked(overtime), is irrelevant.
Many jobs have extensive overtime in addition to the stated hours.
The oilfield is not unique in that aspect.
That was my point.
I was attacked for introducing some facts. I apologize for that.
That's not what I said read it slower.

I said it quite a bit AND more not quite a bit more
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #2540
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Getting back to things that matter I'm headed home and should be done working for the month. I'll get to spend time with the two prettiest girls in Texas until my little boy makes his appearance
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #2541
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young
 
KR-oldmexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Groesbeck, Tx
Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Getting back to things that matter I'm headed home and should be done working for the month. I'll get to spend time with the two prettiest girls in Texas until my little boy makes his appearance

Good deal brother!!! Save up so you can go south of the border with Dean on the new place! It's amazing!
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #2542
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
Good deal brother!!! Save up so you can go south of the border with Dean on the new place! It's amazing!
Shoot that's been set aside I'll be there
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #2543
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young
 
KR-oldmexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Groesbeck, Tx
Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Shoot that's been set aside I'll be there

Awesome!!! I'll try and be there too!!!
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #2544
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Johnson City
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
Good deal brother!!! Save up so you can go south of the border with Dean on the new place! It's amazing!
Why would anyone want to "save" up for a hunting trip, south of the border, when they don't have a job? I am not trying to stir the pot, by any means, but I am curious about that. I can see where some people (not me) would relate this to "oil guys make all that money and spend it on luxuries, then get upset with oil prices drop and they have nothing left". To me, that money that I saved up, when I don't have a job, should be spent on things that support my family, as opposed to a hunting trip? Just trying to justify it, in my simple mind, and was hoping someone could help me out with that, and provide me a way to see another point of view.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #2545
wtx223
Ten Point
 
wtx223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TX
Hunt In: TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_em_up View Post
why would anyone want to "save" up for a hunting trip, south of the border, when they don't have a job? I am not trying to stir the pot, by any means, but i am curious about that. I can see where some people (not me) would relate this to "oil guys make all that money and spend it on luxuries, then get upset with oil prices drop and they have nothing left". To me, that money that i saved up, when i don't have a job, should be spent on things that support my family, as opposed to a hunting trip? Just trying to justify it, in my simple mind, and was hoping someone could help me out with that, and provide me a way to see another point of view.
smh
wtx223 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #2546
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Johnson City
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtx223 View Post
smh
Why are you shaking your head? I was just curious. Do you have an answer anywhere in your shaking head or do you just want to chastise me, for a real question, coming from a person that does not know about the oil field?
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #2547
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
Why would anyone want to "save" up for a hunting trip, south of the border, when they don't have a job? I am not trying to stir the pot, by any means, but I am curious about that. I can see where some people (not me) would relate this to "oil guys make all that money and spend it on luxuries, then get upset with oil prices drop and they have nothing left". To me, that money that I saved up, when I don't have a job, should be spent on things that support my family, as opposed to a hunting trip? Just trying to justify it, in my simple mind, and was hoping someone could help me out with that, and provide me a way to see another point of view.

Pretty sure the guy he was talking to has a job.
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #2548
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young
 
KR-oldmexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Groesbeck, Tx
Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico
Default Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
Why would anyone want to "save" up for a hunting trip, south of the border, when they don't have a job? I am not trying to stir the pot, by any means, but I am curious about that. I can see where some people (not me) would relate this to "oil guys make all that money and spend it on luxuries, then get upset with oil prices drop and they have nothing left". To me, that money that I saved up, when I don't have a job, should be spent on things that support my family, as opposed to a hunting trip? Just trying to justify it, in my simple mind, and was hoping someone could help me out with that, and provide me a way to see another point of view.


Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
Why are you shaking your head? I was just curious. Do you have an answer anywhere in your shaking head or do you just want to chastise me, for a real question, coming from a person that does not know about the oil field?

He has a job and a **** good one! I appreciate your input but maybe you should go "coach yourself up" on reading brother!!!! Thanks for your contribution to this thread.......

Save up so you too could one day take a hunting trip! I'm sure you deserve it!

Edit.........
Also do a little research on the guy you are talking about....... He's the one that started this thread encouraging people to save up as he has done to be prepared for days like this!!! As I have..... He's been through these down turns and was trying to give advise in advance to those that have not!

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by KR-oldmexico; 08-19-2015 at 12:16 PM..
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #2549
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
Why would anyone want to "save" up for a hunting trip, south of the border, when they don't have a job? I am not trying to stir the pot, by any means, but I am curious about that. I can see where some people (not me) would relate this to "oil guys make all that money and spend it on luxuries, then get upset with oil prices drop and they have nothing left". To me, that money that I saved up, when I don't have a job, should be spent on things that support my family, as opposed to a hunting trip? Just trying to justify it, in my simple mind, and was hoping someone could help me out with that, and provide me a way to see another point of view.
No worries.. I am still working and should be unless things get so nasty the whole drilling side completely shuts down. In the case that happens I will be just fine also. My family comes first just like anyone else who has their **** straight

These guys know a little more about me than you is all it is

By the way even when it's booming I "save up" seperate from regular accounts for big trips

Last edited by bphillips; 08-19-2015 at 12:37 PM..
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #2550
topshot
Ten Point
 
topshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: West Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public land, wherever I'm invited
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
I worked the 7/7 or 14/14 route for 12 years. To someone who is ignorant of the reality of the job, your numbers would look correct, but they aren't. Every company I worked for had a 30min pre tour meeting. Nabors and H&P have a 30min post your meeting. At least once a week you have a RSMT Meetinf, that one is an hour. You also have quarterly compliance training and there's so much of that it's crazy. If you work 14/14 it works out to 2-5 days of meetings on your days off that are anywhere from 8-12hrs a day, every 2nd or 3rd days off.

Then you move up to driller... You still have all of those meetings, but I always went in about 15min earlier to get paper work lined out for the guys and catch up on what happened on my 12hrs off. Every 2 years you get to go to a 4 day well control class. When you make relief you'll do hand overs with your relief for anywhere from 15min to an hour depending on the situation.

Then one day you move up to Toolpusher. Your day starts at 4am. You prepare the meetings that will take place at 5:30. Go over e mails that came through while you were napping. Review reports and have the driller fix this or that. About the time that gets fixed the CoMan calls and wants it changed back. Reports sent off at 5:30, lead the safety meeting and if you're really lucky you'll have about an hour to take a shower and eat breakfast. Your day is going to end around 11pm. IF operations are going smooth. I've been on the rig floor for as much as 3 consecutive days without sleep. At the end of day 2, you're 8hrs into a "normal" job's overtime.

When I went directional drilling, it was still pretty similar. There's always new operations and things to be learned. I probably averaged 14-16hrs a day, and worked around 25 days a month.

All that is to show that your math isn't really spot on.

There's guys that say things like, "I only do about 2hrs of work a day." What they're saying is, they've busted their nuts for a lifetime to get where they are and only do about 2hrs of physical labor a day. I've done both. I worked my way from the wormiest Floorhand you ever saw to a good tool pusher and a pretty fair directional driller. I've seen both sides of the quarter and I'll take the physical labor over the mental labor EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Thanks for the informed reply. Its funny how all who have responded say it takes decades of work, or extreme luck to make 6 fig salaries, working ungodly hours, yet previously in the thread folks were sharing about 250-400k salaries were common for 20-30 something year olds who are out buying all sorts of toys...kinda conflicting information; all i know is i will keep my indoor a/c office desk job @ 40hrs a week thanks, work a little on the side and enjoy life with family.
topshot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com