Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #201
asttbe
Ten Point

Hunt In: My yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
What is wrong with that???

Nothing as far as I'm concerned. The stadiums are ridiculous in my eyes. Just pointing out a ripple effect.
asttbe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #202
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLB View Post
Nope I'm still here.....and just to say I told you so. One of the largest operators in the EF laid down one of our rigs.....dang!! And the they wrote us a $9m check for the out in the contract.....and oh wait, the best part.....I still get my commission !!!
Thought they would keep drilling with no way out

Everyone knows you can buy out of them. Yes you get your commission but many others will be laid off just like we said.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #203
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Karma.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #204
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Real, Kerr, Colorado, Schleicher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Thought they would keep drilling with no way out

Everyone knows you can buy out of them. Yes you get your commission but many others will be laid off just like we said.
No....and apparently a lot of people can't read. I said it would not hurt us that bad because WE have contracts on these rigs. What a couple of the TBH braintrust did was, NOT read and comprehend what I wrote and "assumed" what I wrote. I never once said that anyone would be FORCED to keep drilling, what I said was they are locked into a LT contract on these rigs and they either keep them running or PAY US THE OUT.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #205
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
No....and apparently a lot of people can't read. I said it would not hurt us that bad because WE have contracts on these rigs. What a couple of the TBH braintrust did was, NOT read and comprehend what I wrote and "assumed" what I wrote. I never once said that anyone would be FORCED to keep drilling, what I said was they are locked into a LT contract on these rigs and they either keep them running or PAY US THE OUT.
Actually in response to me saying the contracts would be gone and rigs would be stacked you let us know those are ironclad deals that are going nowhere. Sorry but if they buy their way out that deal is now gone. Now it hasn't got bad but companies paying their way out of contracts will not keep people working. Yes YOU get a commission and I'm not worried about myself getting paid either but I didn't start this thread over me and you and the select few like us. This was a heads up for the newer guys and lower guys on the totum pole who will be laid off first when those contracts are gone.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #206
asttbe
Ten Point

Quote:
I understand that, and I wasn't trying to be objective....but theres a HUGE difference between then and now....technology, technolgy, technolgy. We have a very good understanding on where it is and have it down to a science on how to get it....and that only improves daily. We have rigs "SIGNED" on guaranteed contracts and new builds scheduled out for many many years. Speculation will never let the crash happen again....when it does turn it will be a slowing down and not a hault.

That was then.....
Quote:
Rig Contracts dont go out the window!! Those are iron clad guaranteed deals.....at $24-$28K per day for 24-48 months
Quote:
Rig and Directional sales for a "BIG 3"....we have 474 rigs currently drilling in the US and Canada....could have another 100 if we had them. The demand is SO HIGH right now, these contracts are 100% unilateral in our favor. Operators will sell their soul to the devil for them.....can't drill without a rig, no rig no money....When every 100 feet of lateral is worth $1M in production and average laterals are 3,500-5,500'...you do the math. We've settled several broken contract disputes and was awarded 100%, plus attorneys fee and any damages incurred....
I think this is what you might have said. Iron Clad guaranteed 24-48 months.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #207
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I don't understand the debate here. Is anyone dumb enough to not understand that if oil tanks more lots of people will be affected? Ask any realtor who sells ranches if they're already feeling the lower cost of oil. It will cost everyone more than what they save at the pump.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #208
asttbe
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
I don't understand the debate here. Is anyone dumb enough to not understand that if oil tanks more lots of people will be affected? Ask any realtor who sells ranches if they're already feeling the lower cost of oil. It will cost everyone more than what they save at the pump.
To answer your question in short form, yes there are multiple people that don't understand that.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #209
JMalin
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Gillespie and Edwards County

Falling prices are exactly what we need in order to fuel real economic growth.
JMalin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #210
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties

Quote:
It won't affect me at all. But I do know lots of people will be affected.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #211
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMalin View Post
Lol that makes no sense.
hoyt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #212
txwhitetail
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
You sure you don't work in the Media field???

Statements like that are right off NBC or a politicians teleprompter.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #213
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

Quote:

And what sectors would see all that growth?
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #214
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking for a place

Yep all these guys living redneck rich are going to
be crying in there beer. I mean did everyone need a 40k to 60k truck just to drive to work lol!!

Last edited by sharkhunter; 11-30-2014 at 08:38 PM..
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #215
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by asttbe View Post
I think this is what you might have said. Iron Clad guaranteed 24-48 months.
Yes...the contracts are guaranteed.....not the work. The sad part is, every time a rig goes down, 15 guys go home. And the holidays is not a good time to be going home. That's why I work extra hard to try and move rigs and sell directional work.....lot of people depending on us salesmen.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #216
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Yes...the contracts are guaranteed.....not the work. The sad part is, every time a rig goes down, 15 guys go home. And the holidays is not a good time to be going home. That's why I work extra hard to try and move rigs and sell directional work.....lot of people depending on us salesmen.
The demand has to be there or it doesnt matter how good of a salesman you are. No demand equals equipment being piled up.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #217
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
Yep all these guys living redneck rich are going to
be crying in there beer. I mean did everyone need a 40k to 60k truck just to drive to work lol!!
Hopefully they were smart enough to put a little back. I'm scared to death of this kind of thing, that's why I paid off everything I own except the house and the wife's SUV. I bought the kids college tuition back a few years ago, which probably will still cost an arm and a leg. Dave Ramsey taught me, after the first time I messed up, to live well inside our means and that's what we try to do.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #218
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
The demand has to be there or it doesnt matter how good of a salesman you are. No demand equals equipment being piled up.
You are 100% dead on....I just hope our shareholders and VP's understand that!!!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #219
Aggie_bowtech
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera, Rocksprings, and King Ranch

Quote:
I'm not in the oil field (not that it matters) but I do understand economics. I was just reading the comments and had to respond. You could learn from these people responding to you countless times.

Last edited by Aggie_bowtech; 11-30-2014 at 08:45 PM..
Aggie_bowtech is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #220
ladrones
Pope & Young

Quote:
15 sounds like a really low number with all the support a rig needs to run.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #221
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hopefully they were smart enough to put a little back. I'm scared to death of this kind of thing, that's why I paid off everything I own except the house and the wife's SUV. I bought the kids college tuition back a few years ago, which probably will still cost an arm and a leg. Dave Ramsey taught me, after the first time I messed up, to live well inside our means and that's what we try to do.
Hey man this is what I was getting at the whole time. I was one of the young dumb fairly new guys in '08 and '09. This thread was intended to be a heads up for the guys in that position now. I live as little debt as possible now but make more so it won't hit me like before but it surely will hit some the same way it did me then.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #222
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Default Hey Oilfield Guys!!

It has a lot bigger impact than 15 guys on the rig. Lost work for every service that's required to put a hole in the ground. From engineering, casing suppliers, mud, downhole tools, inspection, fuel companies, directional, cementing, completions, fracking, R.O.W. Service, pipeline, meter skid, etc.

1 rig isn't too bad. You start losing 30-40% of the rig fleet and it hits the fan.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #223
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Is it hard to breath like that? don't you get tired of bending over?
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #224
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Runnells County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie_bowtech View Post
I'm not in the oil field (not that it matters) but I do understand economics. I was just reading the comments and had to respond. You could learn from these people responding to you countless times.

You will never get him to learn or understand. He gets on CNN then jumbles up what he reads then comments on every thread just to get a rise. Just a troll.
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #225
tomcat8910
Ten Point

Hunt In: polk,walker and san jacinto county

Quote:
Please tell me you don't really believe that!
tomcat8910 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #226
JMalin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie_bowtech View Post
And the credibility you already lost is totally lost. I'm not in the oil field (not that it matters) but I do understand economics. I was just reading the comments and you really need to experience a downturn to understand it. You could grow up a little and learn from these people responding to you countless times.
Is there no other place where the billions and billions of dollars of capital tied up in producing oil could be put to better use?
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #227
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat8910 View Post

Oh, he does.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #228
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Is there no other place where the billions and billions of dollars of capital tied up in producing oil could be put to better use?
If there was a place it could be put to "better use", it would have already been put there. Capital is looking for the best return.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #229
ladrones
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm just curious what sectors you predict to have real economic growth? And since you work in the O&G sector which sector will be the best bet on employment once the real economic growth happens?
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #230
JMalin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat8910 View Post
You bet your *** I believe it. There are some major structural imbalances that the Fed's easy money policies along with Bush/Obama Keynesian stimulus have only masked.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #231
asttbe
Ten Point

Quote:
You want oil companies to build roads?

Oil companies put billions and billions of their capital into what they do, produce oil. I don't think they are going to diversify into making diapers or anything else.

They will continue to produce oil as long as there is a demand for it. That will continue until they figure out how to run everything in this world on teddy bear kisses and unicorn farts
Old 11-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #232
JMalin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asttbe View Post
You want oil companies to build roads?

Oil companies put billions and billions of their capital into what they do, produce oil. I don't think they are going to diversify into making diapers or anything else.

They will continue to produce oil as long as there is a demand for it. That will continue until they figure out how to run everything in this world on teddy bear kisses and unicorn farts
Stock holders own oil companies. If oil isn't profitable to produce at those lower prices, the money will go elsewhere.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #233
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Gentlemen (and ladies), it is coming. I have been in some meetings the past few weeks that would scare the heck out of you guys... When I got into the oil patch, we were getting oil from The Shah for $2.00/bbl... I've seen a bunch of booms and busts... they are all very similar, and this one will be no different. The bust will come more from politics than anything. The Saudi's and the US want to teach Putin a lesson, so they will keep the production flowing and glut the market. This will severely hurt Russia's economy, as well as the black market folks like ISIS... The side effect is the high tech ways we are getting the stuff out of the ground, is indeed high tech, but it is also equipment intensive and very expensive. I know for a fact that one of the biggest oil field services companies has a plan ready to go to cut 3 BILLION out of their operating budget within 90 days, and if oil stays below $80.00/bbl, they will push the go button before Dec. 31. The current US administration is trying its best to make the coal industry obsolete by draconian pollution policies. If this service organization indeed cuts 3 billion from its operations budget, there will be more than a few of these youngsters on the street. And like Curt said, it will be more than oil patch hands that will be out of work.

We are at a critical tipping point right now, and I don't see anything on the immediate horizon to stop us from falling off that cliff. I hope, no I pray I am wrong.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #234
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Stock holders own oil companies. If oil isn't profitable to produce at those lower prices, the money will go elsewhere.
False. Because that money will not be rolling in like it was. And folks will lose a lot in stocks. Where did you go to college? And where do you work?
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #235
asttbe
Ten Point

The demand isn't going to go anywhere for a long time, and if the publically held companies in the US don't produce it with Americans. State owned companies will. And once again, the spike up is always worse than the drop after a glut. No matter what Ron Paul tells you.

I'm out on this with you. We will just agree to disagree. Hope you have a Merry Christmas
Old 11-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #236
NeilC
Four Point

Hunt In: Wise, Montague Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Gentlemen (and ladies), it is coming. I have been in some meetings the past few weeks that would scare the heck out of you guys... When I got into the oil patch, we were getting oil from The Shah for $2.00/bbl... I've seen a bunch of booms and busts... they are all very similar, and this one will be no different. The bust will come more from politics than anything. The Saudi's and the US want to teach Putin a lesson, so they will keep the production flowing and glut the market. This will severely hurt Russia's economy, as well as the black market folks like ISIS... The side effect is the high tech ways we are getting the stuff out of the ground, is indeed high tech, but it is also equipment intensive and very expensive. I know for a fact that one of the biggest oil field services companies has a plan ready to go to cut 3 BILLION out of their operating budget within 90 days, and if oil stays below $80.00/bbl, they will push the go button before Dec. 31. The current US administration is trying its best to make the coal industry obsolete by draconian pollution policies. If this service organization indeed cuts 3 billion from its operations budget, there will be more than a few of these youngsters on the street. And like Curt said, it will be more than oil patch hands that will be out of work.

We are at a critical tipping point right now, and I don't see anything on the immediate horizon to stop us from falling off that cliff. I hope, no I pray I am wrong.
Well, that sucks. After applying for a year, I have a Dec. 15 start date at a major oil services co. I have wonderful timing.
NeilC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 09:45 PM   #237
JMalin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
False. Because that money will not be rolling in like it was. And folks will lose a lot in stocks. Where did you go to college? And where do you work?
The investors will find a different place to park their money. I certainly would be if I had a large position in a company that had the majority of their leases in expensive to produce shale formations.

Last edited by JMalin; 11-30-2014 at 09:47 PM..
Old 11-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #238
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Hey man this is what I was getting at the whole time. I was one of the young dumb fairly new guys in '08 and '09. This thread was intended to be a heads up for the guys in that position now. I live as little debt as possible now but make more so it won't hit me like before but it surely will hit some the same way it did me then.
Well I wasn't arguing that point.....I think I was just on the wrong page of thinking. You are correct, I just hope people are smart with their money.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #239
RLB
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
We run a 15 man crew on our rigs, but yes there are others there in support roles.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #240
stevieray54
Ten Point

Hunt In: Alvin/Danbury Brazoria Co.

Its not if its just a matter of when, used to go by pipe yards east of Houston,stacks and stacks of piping 100 + cars in the lot, then boom places look like a banded maybe 10 - 15 cars. things are slowing just wait until after the election remember when Clinton left..
stevieray54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #241
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Quote:
The investors will find a different place to park their money. I certainly would be if I had a large position in a company that had the majority of their leases in expensive to produce shale formations.

And where's all that economic growth going to happen? "Somewhere else"?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #242
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
It won't affect me at all. But I do know lots of people will be affected.
Everyone will feel it. There will be no exceptions. Unless you're retired or have zero ties to any company. If/when all these oil field jobs go away there will be billions less being spent in Texas. And guess who will make up for all the lost tax revenue the State is making?

Do you not understand that thousands of people take money they make in the oilfield and spend it in the big cities "back home"? Even if you somehow have a magical business that isn't affected you will have customers who are who will then be spending less also.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #243
JMalin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
And where's all that economic growth going to happen? "Somewhere else"?
Manufacturers, chemical producers, transportation (shipping and distribution), airlines, agriculture, and auto makers all benefit from cheaper oil.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #244
JMalin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Everyone will feel it. There will be no exceptions. Unless you're retired or have zero ties to any company. If/when all these oil field jobs go away there will be billions less being spent in Texas. And guess who will make up for all the lost tax revenue the State is making?

Do you not understand that thousands of people take money they make in the oilfield and spend it in the big cities "back home"? Even if you somehow have a magical business that isn't affected you will have customers who are who will then be spending less also.
Prices will have to fall more in line with what people not working in the oil and gas industry can afford. Life goes on.

I know a lot of y'all take pride in your oilfield jobs, but there are ways to make a living outside the patch and life doesn't revolve around producing oil. It is important, but so are a great deal of other industries.

Last edited by JMalin; 11-30-2014 at 10:13 PM..
Old 11-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #245
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
We have 22 on location now minus the 10 hands, 1 pusher, 1 safety man, 1 mud engineer on days off.. So 35 would be affected on one rig.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #246
shunter14
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval, McMullen

Pretty sad how many folks round here are so excited to see so many fellow bowhunters and texans lose their jobs because they've "had it too good too long". I would never wish that on anyone no matter how good they had it for what they are doing. Yes I am in the oil field and I do have a fall back plan and money set aside but none the less pretty sad some of the comments I've read.
shunter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #247
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Default Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Quote:
Manufacturers, chemical producers, transportation (shipping and distribution), airlines, agriculture, and auto makers all benefit from cheaper oil.

Manufacturers of what? China manufacturers the vast majority of every product sold anywhere.

Transportation? Transporting what? Transporting the items that aren't made here from the port of Houston to the walmart distribution center? Do you realize how many trucks are driving in the oilfield? There could be thousands of jobs lost...

Chemical..... LOL. I guess I'll go invest in WD-40. I'm going to be rich.

I'm sorry Jmalin, but you really have no idea what you're talking about. Out of college for what? 1-2 years. Taking about never owned a house. Give me a call in 15-20 years and see what you know then. Maybe I'm out of touch, but I think a young adult who's just now paying his own bills thinks that an extra $25 less for a tank of gas will turn his economic status in life around, is out of touch with reality.

Last edited by kyle1974; 11-30-2014 at 10:23 PM..
Old 11-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #248
MassMan
Ten Point

Quote:
Prices will have to fall more in line with what people not working in the oil and gas industry can afford. Life goes on.

I know a lot of y'all take pride in your oilfield jobs, but there are ways to make a living outside the patch and life doesn't revolve around producing oil. It is important, but so are a great deal of other industries.
It kinda does.
MassMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #249
JMalin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
Manufacturers of what? China manufacturers the vast majority of every product sold anywhere.

Transportation? Transporting what? Transporting the items that aren't made here Do you realize how many trucks are driving in the oilfield? There could be thousands of jobs lost...

I guess I'll go invest in WD-40. I'm going to be rich.

I'm sorry Jmalin, but you really have no idea what you're talking about. Out of college for what? 1-2 years. Taking about never owned a house. Give me a call in 15-20 years and see what you know then.
Do you have any idea how many trucking jobs are going unfilled right now due to every Joe Blow with a CDL getting an oilfield job?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #250
JMalin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassMan View Post
It kinda does.
Nah. If I've got my family and my God, I'm good.