Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-21-2014, 05:58 AM   #601
teamron
Four Point

Hunt In: MERTZON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Please explain your hours. You posted this on Friday, so you work more than 20 hours a day...or did I miscalculate?

What exactly do you do and what are your hours?
Probably works 14 or 15 hours a day, 7 days a week. I work in North Dakota 21 days straight with no days off, 12 to 16 hours a day. You get used to it. Anyway 50 to 60 hours of overtime pay is where you make your money. Housing,company truck and fuel are paid for, all I pay for is food and a 400 dollar plane ticket each month to live the dream...lol
teamron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #602
Grumpy1911
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana/South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
BOY!!!! You are something else! I haven't seen a post you've made yet that......... Well never mind you'll figure it out one of these days!
yep!
Grumpy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #603
txjustin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort Bend and Brazoria Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Most of those guys I know work a 7on 7off schedule to make that. Lots of money to work half a year and probably get more actual time home than someone working a regular job.
Most people I know work for a service company and not for a driller or in production.

I agree, 7 on 7 off wouldn't be bad.
txjustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #604
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: van zandt and coleman counties

When i finally get on with haliburton, itll be 14 on 7 off.
sambo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #605
haas0311
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere Possible.

Any luck guys?
haas0311 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #606
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by haas0311 View Post
Any luck guys?
The company I work for ( somewhere around 40 employees ) layed off 2 service hands last week. Our assembly guys arent building much. Machine shop ( where I work ) still has plenty to do but we have pulled in all the work we had subbed out. Not going to be a fun ride, but this isnt my first rodeo.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #607
txjustin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort Bend and Brazoria Counties

Now that WTI is at ~$50/BBL I think this is one that should stay bumped and updates added.
txjustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #608
Dru
Ten Point

We went from 700 people to 250 today. No warning, hell we were told to hire more people last week. I'm still here but hours have been cut by a 1/3rd. Not sure what will happen next. But I did save 15% on my last fill up.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #609
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
We went from 700 people to 250 today. No warning, hell we were told to hire more people last week. I'm still here but hours have been cut by a 1/3rd. Not sure what will happen next.

But I did save 15% on my last fill up.

and think about all the new friends you'll make standing in the unemployment line...
Bily Lovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #610
haas0311
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
and think about all the new friends you'll make standing in the unemployment line...
Not funny when some of us that are getting laid off are the only one's presently working to keep food in our kids bellies and a roof over our heads..
Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #611
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
We went from 700 people to 250 today. No warning, hell we were told to hire more people last week. I'm still here but hours have been cut by a 1/3rd. Not sure what will happen next. But I did save 15% on my last fill up.
And companies want employees to be loyal....
Bad deal...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #612
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
You may have said it before, but what company do you work for Dru?

Sorry to hear of the layoffs and reduction in hours.

Being new to O&G (sales/service), I'm naturally a little nervous about where things are headed, although we've been assured our company is in good shape to weather a downturn (and actually are still in a hiring mode). Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to keep selling and saving (and praying!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #613
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by haas0311 View Post
Not funny when some of us that are getting laid off are the only one's presently working to keep food in our kids bellies and a roof over our heads..
He was continuing the sarcasm from Dru
Old 01-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #614
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx

Wow. I own my own business trucking oilfield equipment and my butt is super stressed over all this. I've been hesitant to even open this thread. As of right now everything seems to be steady for me. I truck heavy construction equipment.
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #615
npe001
Ten Point

I got lucky today and thank the Lord that He is watching over me. I work for a small Oil and Gas company and we laid off about 70 of the 80 employees that we have. I have been working here for about 5 months and am extremely fortunate that I will continue to be employed for now. God is great to those who follow Him.
npe001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #616
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by npe001 View Post
I got lucky today and thank the Lord that He is watching over me. I work for a small Oil and Gas company and we laid off about 70 of the 80 employees that we have. I have been working here for about 5 months and am extremely fortunate that I will continue to be employed for now. God is great to those who follow Him.
Holy cow, that a bunch! If you dont mind, where do you work?
Old 01-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #617
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Oilfield hands are gonna start stacking those unemployment lines pretty quickly real soon... It's a sad deal, but pretty normal for the oil patch... It's gonna get bad here real quick now that the calendar has flipped over to '15. Heck I put 35 gallons of gas in my truck this morning in Tomball for $0.679/gallon!!! (used my Kroger discount) Heck before the discount it was only $1.679! That won't keep drillers working long when their break even is $70+/bbl... Buckle up boys, it's gonna be a rough ride for the next few months I'm afraid.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #618
haas0311
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
He was continuing the sarcasm from Dru
Roger that, just a touchy subject for me..
Old 01-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #619
Boomerang
Pope & Young

Oil dips below $50, but rebounds. Drilling permits have dropped exponentially. It will take a little time for the lag to catch up.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/05/inve...-50/index.html
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #620
haas0311
Pope & Young

I can tell you permits are almost nonexistent in Texas and gone in nm
Old 01-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #621
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton

I help run our family machine shop and 90% of our work is oil and gas related. Unfortunately, most of our eggs are in one basket with schlumberger/ smith sevices for the most part. When things get like this, they usually bring everything back in house. We are already slowing down dramatically and the orders have stopped coming in over the last few weeks. I remember 08-09 and im hopin this doesnt last long....
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #622
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
I help run our family machine shop and 90% of our work is oil and gas related. Unfortunately, most of our eggs are in one basket with schlumberger/ smith sevices for the most part. When things get like this, they usually bring everything back in house. We are already slowing down dramatically and the orders have stopped coming in over the last few weeks. I remember 08-09 and im hopin this doesnt last long....
I know exactly how you feel. Im expecting my side gig to slow down here pretty quick. I still have stuff coming in but who knows for how long. I did just get a couple of hot POs this morning ( one due Thurs! ) so we'll see. Will probably see less work overall but more Hot jobs.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #623
Dru
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
You may have said it before, but what company do you work for Dru?

Sorry to hear of the layoffs and reduction in hours.

Being new to O&G (sales/service), I'm naturally a little nervous about where things are headed, although we've been assured our company is in good shape to weather a downturn (and actually are still in a hiring mode). Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to keep selling and saving (and praying!)
Michael,
I work for a brokerage firm that contracts with Antero. We deal only in West Virginia natural gas. I thought we were immune from this down turn.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 02:13 PM   #624
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

Might be nice to have a thread for folks to post up about any potential jobs they know of. I've heard rumors of a couple places that might be looking for part time sales on commission basis. One company already filled a spot, but from what I understand the guy is doing it part time as a second job. If things like that pop up, it might not be a bad idea to spread the word around.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #625
Alpha Dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: east texas/where the wind blows

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -

It's quite the sobering Monday on Wall Street as many traders and investors return from their holiday hiatus.

The Dow plunged 350 points in afternoon trading as stock markets around the world fell sharply.

What's going on? The main culprits of market jitters these days are falling oil prices and the souring global economy. Crude oil now trades at about $50 and even dipped briefly below that level on Monday -- another psychological threshold for the market.

Experts now predict oil could go as low as $40 or even $30 a barrel. While that's great for U.S. consumers, who are enjoying gas prices of $2 or less not seen since the worst of the Great Recession, there comes a point when sustained low prices begin to really hurt energy company stocks and jobs in the U.S. and other countries around the world.

Today's biggest stock losers are almost all energy drillers -- Denbury Resources, Noble Energy and Anadarko Petroleum.

Warning signs: But the bigger picture is that stocks are overdue for a correction -- when the market falls 10% or more. There was a close call in early October when U.S. markets dipped, but they never quite got to an official correction.

Goldman Sachs put out a warning note Monday, cautioning that professional investors may be "unduly bullish."

The bank's Sentiment Indicator is at 100 -- the highest possible level. Historically, that hasn't been good. When the indicator gets that high, it's usually followed by a decline in stocks in the following six weeks.
Alpha Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #626
ladrones
Pope & Young

We have the added cost of drilling a hole here in NM of haul away going against us. I would imagine that would add 10% to the cost of drilling the hole?
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #627
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette

Halcon just pulled most of our project. Went from running 5 rigs in Brazos/Burleson Counties to just 1 rig.
buzzbait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #628
brysdad
Ten Point

Prayers are all I have. Hope you guys are okay when this turns around. There has to be a happy medium somewhere.
brysdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #629
Alpha Dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: east texas/where the wind blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbait View Post
Halcon just pulled most of our project. Went from running 5 rigs in Brazos/Burleson Counties to just 1 rig.
Prayers up buddy, got to get through the briar patch , before we can get back to that green pasture. Good Lord ain't gonna give us more than we can handle, but he can make it difficult.
Alpha Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #630
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

We already took our 10% pay cuts and now only have 3 more wells planned for our rig then see where it's at after that so I see it laying down. Our company still has over 40 rigs working so I'll still get rotated through them to get a few days of work here and there though.
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #631
cosmiccowboy
Pope & Young

definitely looks like some rigs are gonna stack down south soon...

Quote:
According to DrillingInfo.com, applications for new drilling permits in South Texas’ Eagle Ford Shale and North Dakota’s and Montana’s Bakken Shale fell approximately 30% in November of 2014 compared to the previous month.
Good luck out there guys...
cosmiccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #632
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Prayers to those effected directly.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #633
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Prayers up for all in the oil and gas industry.

It's pretty sad to be a victim of our own success.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #634
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Hate to see people getting laid off and having to wonder how they will be able to provide for their families. Prayers for all financially harmed by this down turn in oil prices...
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #635
txwhitetail
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co

Still don't understand why they aren't allowing some exports to battle the Saudis.

I think the US Govt is fine with the price with it hurting Russia worse than the US.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #636
cosmiccowboy
Pope & Young

You are correct. In fact, the executive branch is happy to hurt the fracking industry and indirectly take credit for low gas prices. Low oil prices hurt Iran, Venezuela, Russia, and Texas...all are enemies of the Obama administration.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #637
refugioco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio County

I am invested heavily in oil and my son has a lot of money invested in an upstream education. So these comments will be coming from my perspective, and not from a person in the know.

Large companies are looking to lower their spending.
The two easiest places to cut are employees and dividends. This has already begun.
Meanwhile small companies with a lot of debt built on higher oil prices could go under.
For large companies this is not their first rodeo and they will be prepared for the rebound with plenty of cash to buy assets for pennies on the dollar and let supply dwindle until they can sell at a price they are happy with.

I am hoping prices rebound and people come to their senses. I do not see a lack of demand. If it does not, it will not take long for the country to see how important the oil industry is to the economy.
I am feeling the pain but nothing like the people that have been laid off for no fault of their own. We have a chance to become energy independent if we can just get back on track.
refugioco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #638
cosmiccowboy
Pope & Young

It will be interesting to see what the companies like Chesapeake will do. They have been living on borrowed money based on $100 oil and willing to lose money every year to punch more holes...will their creditors will do if oil stays at $50 and they can't stroke the notes.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #639
RAZORBACK
Six Point

I think Chesapeake will be in a pretty good spot to weather this one under Lawler's reign - they just did an asset sale of $5B cash and announced a $1B buyback. It will force them all to tighten the belts a bit - but some of the bigger players will come out of this stronger than ever.
RAZORBACK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #640
JMalin
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Gillespie and Edwards County

Might be my last pad the way things are going. Only a few stages into the first well, with two more after this one. We'll probably be out here for a month with frac having issues with their pumps. Got my backup plan in place. Not sweating it too much. Feel bad for others that feel like they don't have any other options

Last edited by JMalin; 01-05-2015 at 08:03 PM..
JMalin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #641
Catarina
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit, Brooks, and Zavala

any investors want to buy some hotels in the Cotulla area with me and turn them into "illegal alien detention centers"....... its amazing they are still building new ones all over
Catarina is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #642
JMalin
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Gillespie and Edwards County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina View Post
any investors want to buy some hotels in the Cotulla area with me and turn them into "illegal alien detention centers"....... its amazing they are still building new ones all over
It's amazing the lack of foresight people have. Reminds me of the banksters/financiers back in 2007. Housing bubble? Nah!
JMalin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #643
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMalin View Post
It's amazing the lack of foresight people have. Reminds me of the banksters/financiers back in 2007. Housing bubble? Nah!
People know it comes and goes but the ones who time it right can be easy made millionaires so sometimes it's worth the risk. Hang around long enough and you'll be looking to time it right and hit it big on a future boom.
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #644
ladrones
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina View Post
Look at what civeo's (CVEO) stock has done in the past few weeks.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #645
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMalin View Post

How old were you and what were you doing on 2007????????? Do you have a family?????? Do you have a mortgage?????

Please share all your vast knowledge!!
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #646
Cold 1
Six Point

Hunt In: Ok. / Tx.

Just trimming the fat as stated earlier. Some companies will suffer. Seen it before.
Cold 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #647
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZORBACK View Post
I think Chesapeake will be in a pretty good spot ... but some of the bigger players will come out of this stronger than ever.
A couple of my major oil and gas customers in Canada are about to go on shopping sprees buying up their competitors.

The most frequently quoted breakeven number I'm hearing is $70/bbl.
100%TtId is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 11:05 PM   #648
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

I hate that it is coming to this. My grandpa was a rough neck in the 40's and 50's. He lived in Electra. Met my grandma at a diner in Snyder. He ended up down here,minus a few fingers,at DOW,where he retired,because of a huge slow down in the oil patch.

Good luck fellas!!
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2015, 11:42 PM   #649
Catarina
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit, Brooks, and Zavala

Quote:
Look at what civeo's (CVEO) stock has done in the past few weeks
dang that's interesting.... I was wondering who was behind a lot of these man camps.

But in my opinion a "man camp" in these remote south Texas towns seems more appropriate for a small group of investors or a single person/company to handle and not a publicly traded corporation. A man camp in Iraq or Afghanistan I could understand
Catarina is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #650
shaft_slinger00
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
How old were you and what were you doing on 2007????????? Do you have a family?????? Do you have a mortgage?????

Please share all your vast knowledge!!
I think he was still in high school Keith.
shaft_slinger00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top